So how are cars starting this morning in midwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wonder how cars with dino oil start at -30 vs the ones using good syn oils.

acttemp_600x405.jpg

Haven't tried yet, but I'm assuming they'll be fine. My pour test with Q-Horsepower 5w30 looked good. It reaffirmed the need to let it idle for a bit before taking off, but otherwise it looked good. I also left some old 10w30 conventional out. That was pretty thick.

Well, I just went out and started my son's Honda Element that has been setting in the driveway overnight. Fired right up with conventional Pennzoil YB 5W-20 in it. At the present time it is -20F here and the windchill is -40F.

Can't wait for Saturday morning. I'm headed to TEXAS.

This thread should perhaps be qualified with a "garage kept vs. outside all nite" start-ups.

M1 0w20 just fine this a.m. in Little Rock - but it's a blazing 25deg out. (garage kept)

And you guys think Canada gets cold, jeez -38F = -39C, thats artic cold :).

We're in a cold snap as well, its -25 here, but I have an oil pan heater and a block heater, so I should have no problems :)

I had -4F on the NE side of the Kansas City metro area. My property sits on some of the higher ground in the metro. If I was lower so would have been the temp. At 9AM it is up to 0F.

BTW no problems with the Valvoline A/C 5w-20. No strange sounds at all. Nice to know, as this is the first below zero morning since I bought the truck.

-21F this morning, fired the Navigator up (filled with Schaeffer's 5w20) after sitting outside all night. Turned over freely and started right up, only noise was from the power steering pump, which still has the OEM fluid. For a synthetic blend, I am very impressed with the cold starting performance of the Schaeffer's oil.

Started the Grand Marquis (Pennzoil 5w30) shortly after, it started fine, but turned over much harder than the Navigator. Both vehicals have the same battery of similar age so I am blaming the difference on the engine oil. If not for an annoying oil leak, I would drop the conventional out today and refill with synthetic. On the bright side, the power steering (filled with AMSOIL synthetic ATF) was silent.

The Aerostar fired right up this morning, no sounds out of the ordinary. It was 7*F, currently filled with 5W20. Only thing I notice is the exhaust smells a little different. My guess is the fuel mixture is adjusted for the colder weather (richer).

Well it was a nasty 41 here this morning.
cool.gif
The Mustang fired right up on 5W20 MC so no worries. God bless Texas!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The Aerostar fired right up this morning, no sounds out of the ordinary. It was 7*F, currently filled with 5W20. Only thing I notice is the exhaust smells a little different. My guess is the fuel mixture is adjusted for the colder weather (richer).

Sorry my bad. I'm not in the midwest, but your cold is pushing my way.........

-3 just south of KC this morning when I left work at 6:00. My little Ecotec fired right up on PP 5W-30. Always a bit noisy until it warms a bit.

Wife said her truck (Silverado 5.3) fired right up too when she left to run errands around 8:00, 0 degrees. Dealer bulk 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
It is not so much the oil as it is a good battery .The oil comes into play once the engine starts.

AC Delco battery in my Saturn. I find their batteries to be excellent. They usually last several years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back