Snowblower time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a Huskqvarna ST 227P yesterday so I'm set. 12 months interest fee+ rebate + free extended warranty for 4 years.

That chute design looks very efficient. Put a plastic liner in it to protect the paint and provide less resistance. What kind of power does the ST 227P have? If it's got anywhere near 10 h.p. that thing should throw long distance. The reversible skids are a nice touch.

Make sure to lubricate the control cables often otherwise they'll freeze up. If they do, use a hair dryer to thaw them. Not crazy about cable controls for that reason. Hard to find machines nowadays without them.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'm ready to go ...

Looks like it has hand brakes too! Pretty good...
crackmeup2.gif

For me, getting the snowblower ready means taking the mower deck off the tractor and putting the snowblower on. I just mowed today but it will need it one more time so the snowblower isn't going on quite yet.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
For me, getting the snowblower ready means taking the mower deck off the tractor and putting the snowblower on. I just mowed today but it will need it one more time so the snowblower isn't going on quite yet.

My dad does that with his John Deere. Also has the plow attachment.
I just drive over it and use a snowblower when I can't.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

My dad does that with his John Deere. Also has the plow attachment.
I just drive over it and use a snowblower when I can't.
lol.gif

I don't have the plow attachment for the JD, but I do have a plow blade for my 4 wheeler. That pushes better since it's 4 wheel drive anyway. Usually I use the plow for lighter snowfalls and the blower for heavier snowfalls.

I mowed for the last time this year last Saturday. Not that the grass really needed it, but going trough a pile of dry, dead leaves cleans up a mower deck really good.

Now that this is done with, I changed the oil of my snow blower. It's a late 2000s Craftsman 31" with a 11HP Tecumseh engine. I bought it 3 years ago. The auger belt was replaced last year and it now has fresh oil and started on 2nd pull. When used regularly in the winter, it always starts on 1st pull. It can also be plugged to a wall outlet to use the electric starter, but I used it only once to check if it still worked, it did.

I do use E0 fuel (around here only premium fuel at a few stations offer it) with some MMO for light cleaning/stabilizing properties. I do nothing special when storing it for the summer. I don't top off nor drain the fuel or use any stabilizer other than what MMO includes, nor do I fog the carb. Right before the first use, I'll top off the fuel, so old fuel will be mixed with fresh one. I'm ready for snow, despite not really liking it.

Purchased a new Storm Tracker 2890 last fall, I have a steep driveway so needed tracks. [censored] if it didn't even snow!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm dreading it.

I forgot to empty the tank *or* put stabil in it. And it all evaporated over the summer.

I did use ethanol free gas ...

If you used ethanol free gas it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Yup! Started first pull. Was really surprised! Let it run for 30 minutes or so.

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Purchased a new Storm Tracker 2890 last fall, I have a steep driveway so needed tracks. [censored] if it didn't even snow!

That's called an insurance policy. One should never complain about having to never make a claim.

How steep is your driveway? My driveway had a fairly steep 11% grade and was over 110 ft. long. Never had a problem with wheeled snowblowers. Modern snowblowers with large wheels provide plenty of traction even without the use of chains.

The trade off of sacrificing mobility for traction is usually regrettable. It takes fairly demanding conditions to necessitate a tracked machine vs. a well designed wheeled machine.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

How steep is your driveway? My driveway had a fairly steep 11% grade and was over 110 ft. long. Never had a problem with wheeled snowblowers. Modern snowblowers with large wheels provide plenty of traction even without the use of chains.

The trade off of sacrificing mobility for traction is usually regrettable. It takes fairly demanding conditions to necessitate a tracked machine vs. a well designed wheeled machine.

Close to 15% and about 150 ft. long. The Storm Tracker has "trigger steering" so no problems turning or maneuvering.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Just picked up a Huskqvarna ST 227P yesterday so I'm set....

Nice looking Husqvarna! I much prefer the loop style handles like yours has. Makes it a lot nicer for tugging the machine backwards when you're wearing gloves. My 18+ year old Yardman snowblower has this style and I so wish my 3yr/old Ariens Snowtek did.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Do you go skiing in the driveway?
lol.gif

Not in the car.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Wish we got enough snow to need a blower. I've got a long driveway so I use the ATV plow for light snow and the rear blade on the Tractor for heavier snow, but we only get a 1' in a day a couple times a winter.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Wish we got enough snow to need a blower. I've got a long driveway so I use the ATV plow for light snow and the rear blade on the Tractor for heavier snow, but we only get a 1' in a day a couple times a winter.

My parents got 4' during one storm last winter. Their little snowblower couldn't do it and no one can plow their driveway since it's so narrow. I had to go up with my larger snowblower on the trailer behind my Focus to get their driveway cleared!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back