Snowblower time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: irv
I would use a bit more Seafoam as you can't over treat it, (To a limit) then do as you already did. Run it until hot, let it deep soak then try it again.

Okay - gave that a try today. It seems to be running acceptably at mid-throttle with the choke fully open, but it hunts at full throttle and refuses to idle. I'll give it another go tomorrow. There's no snow in the forecast.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Originally Posted By: irv
I would use a bit more Seafoam as you can't over treat it, (To a limit) then do as you already did. Run it until hot, let it deep soak then try it again.

Okay - gave that a try today. It seems to be running acceptably at mid-throttle with the choke fully open, but it hunts at full throttle and refuses to idle. I'll give it another go tomorrow. There's no snow in the forecast.

Hopefully it works but like boraticus said, the carb may need a teardown/deep clean before it will run proper again. In the future and after it is cleaned, run the SeaFoam with every tank (just a splash) and then a little more just before summerizing it. Run it through good for 5-10 minutes then syphon the remaining gas and put that in your vehicle.
Next fall, when you purchase gas for it again, add a little to your Jerry can so you know the gas being added to your blower is already treated and is good to go.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Carb needs to be cleaned. Elixirs won't do that.

I am inclined to agree. With over thirty years of experience having an average of five pieces of 4-cycle OPE on hand, I've never had a machine come out of storage in such poor running condition. My 32 year old Troy-Bilt rototiller starts up every spring after six months of storage without any complaints. Sometimes it needs a shot of starting fluid, but that's it.

So here we have an essentially new machine with no more than three running hours, and it is having fits. The old MTD machine with 8HP Koehler Snow King has been sitting in the shed for two years now without attention. Would anyone care to bet if "old reliable" can't be brought back into service more easily than this new Ariens Deluxe 24? I intend to find out.

I'm having the similar problems as Astro_Guy.

My Ariens Path Pro SS21E (136cc Ariens AX engine) runs fine at idle with choke on, but rough when choke is off and throttle is wide open.

I purchased used (like new) at a garage sale during the summer. The guy said he used it 2 times the previous winter. The guy was moving and didn't want to bring it with him.

Not sure if fuel stabilizer was used...doubtful.

I put in a new spark plug, fresh gas, and it started. Runs the way I described earlier.

I plan to:

1.) Drain the fuel from the tank
2.) Drain the left over fuel from the carb
3.) Fill with fresh gas

Should I add Berryman's B12 to the fresh fuel? If so, how much do I add? Fuel tank holds 0.928 gallons according to specs.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

Keep us posted on this, but I would not place too much faith in these magic elixirs. My Ariens has improved over time with Seafoam, but still hunts at full throttle and refuses to idle without full choke. Other adjustments are needed in my case, and probably yours too.

Should I add Berryman's B12 to the fresh fuel? If so, how much do I add? Fuel tank holds 0.928 gallons according to specs.

Wouldn't hurt. Mine was having problems hunting and sputtering and I added half a can to about half a gallon of gas. Couple minutes it cleared up, fact it never ran that well before. For $5 it can't hurt and if it doesn't work you're not out much money.

I started my 20-year old Sears two-stroke 20-inch single stage back in October. Three pushes of the primer bulb, full choke, one pull of the starter. Voila! I treat each gallon of gas when I buy it with Stabil so the fuel is still good even three seasons later. Stihl brand 2-stroke oil so the same fuel can be used in my Stihl trimmer. I installed a new auger assembly in the snow blower last year because the original rubber strips had worn to the point where the side housings were dragging. My fault for letting it get that bad. I discovered that these machines were made by Murray, and parts sold for the Murray brand name are MUCH cheaper than those sold for the Craftsman brand name. Parts are identical.

A co-worker asked me today about a small snow blower similar to what I have. I advised him to find a used one off C-List that had been reconditioned by a small engine shop. Reconditioned used versions of Quality brand names sell for $200 and less in our area. I got a used Cub Cadet for our son for $165 three years ago in this manner. He shows me a Home Depot ad for a NEW machine for only $215! He only wanted concurrence that this no-name machine was a good buy. Must be a piece of junk imported from third world country with zero parts and service support, but he didn't want to hear that.

aavix-gas-snow-blowers-agt1420-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:

Keep us posted on this, but I would not place too much faith in these magic elixirs. My Ariens has improved over time with Seafoam, but still hunts at full throttle and refuses to idle without full choke. Other adjustments are needed in my case, and probably yours too.

I tinkered with it tonight. Here's what I did:

1. Remove current gas from tank (probably 1/4 from gas gathered in July to see if it ran when I purchased the snowblower and 3/4 from gas gathered in September)....The tank is metal and I noticed some particles at the bottom of the tank when I was using a turkey baster to suck out the fuel.

2. Drained the carb bowl and opened fuel valve to let any remaining gas escape.

3. Removed carb bowl and inspected. There was only a little gunk in there. Nothing to be concerned about. I was expecting worse.

4. Removed main jet and inspected. Nothing to be concerned about.

5. Sprayed the bowl and jet with cleaner. Used wire to clean out every hole of the jet/emulsifier tube.

6. All components looked spotless after cleaning, so I reinstalled everything.

7. Re-fuled with fresh 93 octane gas

Conclusion........ran the same.....aka not like it should. Only sounded happy when choke was on and then surged and sputtered when choke was adjusted. I thought this would do the trick since everything appeared to be in excellent condition.

I did not run Berryman's or Seafoam. I supposed I could?

Otherwise, it appears a whole new carb assembly for $65 is required.

Yesterday was the first time snow blowin for the season. Five minutes into it, the paddle assy on my Ariens broke apart and flew out the front. This caused such an imbalance that the snow blower shook violently when engaged. Had to use my old reliable Toro dingy to finish up. I haven't priced the part yet and hope it is not the end of the line for it.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Yesterday was the first time snow blowin for the season. Five minutes into it, the paddle assy on my Ariens broke apart and flew out the front. This caused such an imbalance that the snow blower shook violently when engaged. Had to use my old reliable Toro dingy to finish up. I haven't priced the part yet and hope it is not the end of the line for it.

I found the part for my Sears/Murray at RepairClinic.com Their prices for parts are normally very reasonable. I have the luxury of living only 8 miles from their warehouse so I pick-up in person and never have to pay for shipping.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Originally Posted By: Lubener

I found the part for my Sears/Murray at RepairClinic.com Their prices for parts are normally very reasonable. I have the luxury of living only 8 miles from their warehouse so I pick-up in person and never have to pay for shipping.

Thanks, I will check them out.

This is my 1978 John Deere 316 with a 16 HP Kohler single and a single stage blower. It is affectionately known as thumper because that big single feels like its going to shake out of the tractor when you shut it off and its winding down. We get the highest snowfalls on the east coast in my area and this old beast never disappoints!

Last edited:

Today being the second day of Spring, we are naturally enjoying the largest snowfall of the season. Earlier today I managed to get the Ariens to start, with great difficulty I might add. After just enough passes in four inch deep snow to get a car out, she stalled out for lack of fuel. Took a ride downtown, got some gas, filled her up and attempted to restart. Would you believe that SOB refused to start?

So by now the snow is six inches deep with at least another six expected. Obviously it was time to get serious unless I wanted to move a foot of snow by hand. Pulled the spark plug, after removing the muffler heat shield that prevents you from removing the spark plug. Brilliant piece of engineering there. The plug required effort to remove with a 1/2-inch ratchet, all the way to the last 1/4 turn. Some of you probably already know where this is going. The plug was dark and wet.

Cleaned plug with wire brush, gapped plug, then blew if off with air. Installation also required effort the entire way, and it seemed to require more turns. After that the machine started instantly, no popping or hunting, and easily moved nine inches of heavy wet snow later in the day. This machine is running better than it ever has. My theory is that the person in China who assembled the engine cross threaded the plug, and he stopped tightening before it was fully seated. If that be the case, I have a cross threaded plug in a machine that now runs well. I was hoping to put in a Platinum or Iridium plug, but now it seems that perhaps I should just leave it alone. Your thoughts?

About a month ago,I checked the lube level in the augur gear box the stuff looked funny. I use synchromesh MTL because the pinion is brass. I was in a hurry so I just squeezed the good stuff in and let the bad stuff run out. Yesterday, I decided to do a drain and fill. I blocked the back up and drained into a coffee can. I let it drain for about 20 minutes. I put the last 6 oz of Pennzoil syncromesh MTL and topped that off with some Lucas goop that I bought on a whim about 10 yrs ago. I used some about 7 yrs ago as assembly lube. Sez you can on the bottle. Also in synchromesh tran's. I put it in until it ran out. I think I may have over filled the case when I did the original drain and fill a couple yrs back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back