SN Rating vs Ford Spec

How can a diesel oil carry the SN rating and still have elevated phosphorus levels to meet Ford diesel spec?

Makes sense, I picked up some Kirkland 15-40 last summer and had it tested. Phosphorus 1131 ppm, zinc 1291. Yet it carries the SN rating.

Here is the OA.

Attachments

• 986BD9C1-B391-49B8-8D43-127D32B43DFD.jpg
    986BD9C1-B391-49B8-8D43-127D32B43DFD.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 102
How can a diesel oil carry the SN rating and still have elevated phosphorus levels to meet Ford diesel spec?
The rules allow them to at least on the 40 weight oils. Valvoline (White Bottle), Fram, Travellers, etc. There are several oils that meet both SN & Ford F1 Specification.

Last edited:
Only when they only cary an S-rating , if they are dual rated they must comply with the resource conserving limits.
The statement made on the CK-4 spec sheet with respect to the caveat for phosphorous is:
(26) Phosphorous must be less than 0.08m% to obtain API S claims for ILSAC grades.

xW-40 grades aren't ILSAC, which are 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Under (9) however, there is also:
For all viscosity grades:
- If API CH-4, CI-4 and/or CJ-4 categories precede the "S" category and there is no API Certification Mark, the "S" category limits for phosphorus, sulfur, and the TEOST MHT do not apply.
- However, the CJ-4 limits for phosphorus and sulfur do apply for CJ-4 oils, and the limit in the SP-RC column for phosphorous (0.08% mass max) applies when CK-4 with SP or FA-4 with SP is claimed.

So it looks like this might change with SP, though that's a bit muddied by the "SP-RC" indication, as you wouldn't expect most of these to want to claim SP-RC, just SP, which brings us back to (26).

But based on both of these footnotes, you can claim SN (non-RC) and CK-4 on an xW-40. It doesn't sound like you can claim SP though.

Last edited:
See edit, I addressed that.

This is consistent with oils on the market like Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40, which has both SN and CK-4, but has 1,100ppm phosphorous.
Probably because it's a low volume product and they haven't bothered to update the spec sheet, Mobil no longer claims dual ratings on it's HDEO with over 800ppm of phosphorous, they along with Shell and Chevron, when they transitioned to CK-4 either dropped to 800ppm or stopped claiming dual ratings if the oil is over 800ppm, seems like anything claiming dual ratings with over 800ppm was licensed prior to 2019 or so. Although Delo 400 XSP 15W40 which only recently launched is kind of an outlier, although they may attempt to establish a new standard on dual ratings and then just reneged on it and are now going back to the bad practice of dual rating oils with too much phosphorous so long as they don't claim SP.

Probably because it's a low volume product and they haven't bothered to update the spec sheet, Mobil no longer claims dual ratings on it's HDEO with over 800ppm of phosphorous, they along with Shell and Chevron, when they transitioned to CK-4 either dropped to 800ppm or stopped claiming dual ratings if the oil is over 800ppm, seems like anything claiming dual ratings with over 800ppm was licensed prior to 2019 or so. Although Delo 400 XSP 15W40 which only recently launched is kind of an outlier, although they may attempt to establish a new standard on dual ratings and then just reneged on it and are now going back to the bad practice of dual rating oils with too much phosphorous so long as they don't claim SP.
The Mobil product guide was last updated in 2022, it shows the 1,100PPM of phosphorous for TDT. PDS seems to indicate October, 2020. I'd speculate that this is because this product is part of the Mobil 1 portfolio, which you find at parts stores, Walmart and the like, so it has a consumer presence that makes having the API SN designation worthwhile.

Mobil (Delvac) HDEO's that DO have dual ratings:
- Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40: SN/CK-4
- Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40: SN/CK-4
- Delvac 1 AS 5W-30: SN/CK-4
- Delvac 1 AFE 5W-30: SN/FA-4
- Delvac Extreme: 15W-40: SM/CK-4
- Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30: SP/CK-4
- Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40: SP/CK-4
- Delvac Super FE 10W-30: SN/FA-4
- Delvac MX F2: SL/CI-4 Plus (wow, old specs!)

Mobil (Delvac) HDEO's that DO NOT have dual ratings:
- Delvac Extreme 10W-30: CK-4
- Delvac Extreme FE 10W-30: FA-4
- Delvac HDEO 10W-30: CK-4
- Delvac HDEO 15W-40: CK-4

I think the limits, which I believe we've now established do not apply to xW-40's that claim SN and CK-4, are a separate discussion from why we have seen a lot of the HDEO's dropping the dual rating.

SP appears to be a different situation. I find some of the language a bit vague on how it applies.

This VOA of Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is from 2018 product, so probably SN/CK-4, and shows ~1,200ppm phosphorous:

However, this blackstone report, which is from 2019 and SN/CK-4, shows ~1,000ppm phosphorous:

What I still have an issue with is that the Delvac 1 ESP 0W40 is on Ford's approved list and the 5W40 is not.
I have a buddy who does lots of business at the local Ford dealership - he brings in D1 5W40 ESP …
The SM barks while the techs laugh and pour - and they give him a good trade in …

Back