Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 Now SN Rated

Man a ton of swings and misses in this thread.

For an oil to be JASO MA/MA2, it has to “meet” SN spec currently. This happened in May of 2023, with the JASO T903:2023 update.

API won’t give you the shield, because of SP, as previously mentioned. But, there was alot of controversy over the labeling (I sorta mentioned this in the other… rotella thread, the poor response I got from them when I bought this up to them, in writing) - The fact that they are JASO Ma/Ma2 but not SN.

So that’s the driver for the labeling of SN.
Perhaps for the Rotella line of oils but there were plenty of diesel oils that were already dual rated CK-4/SN well before 2023.

Perhaps for the Rotella line of oils but there were plenty of diesel oils that were already dual rated CK-4/SN well before 2023.

Indeed. But no sense in labeling them that way now, as it’s just a “meets” not an official approval.

Since Rotella is marketed to JASO Ma/MA2 (and small gasoline motors in that category) - label it.

Other brands are not.

Indeed. But no sense in labeling them that way now, as it’s just a “meets” not an official approval.

Since Rotella is marketed to JASO Ma/MA2 (and small gasoline motors in that category) - label it.

Other brands are not.
There's perfect sense in it. Rotella now guarantees it for that SN gasoline rating & they don't pay for the license. There will be more folks using these oils in SN spec'd gasoline engines now. There were many that were disappointed when Shell dropped the SN rating & now their stating it meets the equivalent license just not the actual license =More profit for Shell.
Would some like to see the actual license approval of course but not if it raises the price & is not a full licensed requirement from the end user.

Last edited:
Why don’t the oil companies place the entire list of approvals and specifications on the front of the oil jug?
I know it's a hecka burden to look at the back.

Maybe look on the approval lists before you go to the store and nail down your selection before hand? That way you can just walk in grab what's best.

Why don’t the oil companies place the entire list of approvals and specifications on the front of the oil jug?

Because a lot of them are redundant, obsolete, or self certifying. They could also be optional, such as hydraulic specs, DIN numbers, NSN numbers, etc. etc etc.

At the end of the day, labels on Jugs are more for marketing, less for technical analysis.

Which is why bucket, drum and IBC/tank labels have the minimum amount of information required. As the marketing aspect is done at that point in time.

API won’t give you the shield, because of SP, as previously mentioned. But, there was alot of controversy over the labeling (I sorta mentioned this in the other… rotella thread, the poor response I got from them when I bought this up to them, in writing) - The fact that they are JASO Ma/Ma2 but not SN.
The shield is only for ILSAC, Euro oil's and dual rated diesel oils have never had the shield, the SN should appear on the Donut though, the fact that it doesn't is a little odd.

The shield is only for ILSAC, Euro oil's and dual rated diesel oils have never had the shield, the SN should appear on the Donut though, the fact that it doesn't is a little odd.

You are correct. This morning was rough for me.

I’ll have to ask about it. I have a few higher up friends at Shell.

I asked about the whole SN/JASO MA/Ma2 thing back in August.

I would think that if they were self guaranteeing the SN rating that it would not get the SN in the donut hole unless they actually payed for the license which It doesn't appear that they are. It doesn't show up as SN on the API license website.

Last edited:
I know it's a hecka burden to look at the back.

Maybe look on the approval lists before you go to the store and nail down your selection before hand? That way you can just walk in grab what's best.

The horror.... the horror...😂 I bet they put as little as possible on the containers for reasons.......
Like the fast food industry facing lawsuits for showing a burger the size of a head or a baseketball on Tv, then serving you a human being size one at the counter! Some Judge, some place, some time, will allow that to proceed to a court. OMG.

Plus different models within the same manufacturer require different approvals so you’d have to be pretty specific with those little pictures on the front.

This thread is hilarious. All the comments about why it’s not SN rated. Think I killed way tooo many brain cells reading all of it. I guess common sense doesn’t apply here as does reading comprehension.

This thread is hilarious. All the comments about why it’s not SN rated. Think I killed way tooo many brain cells reading all of it. I guess common sense doesn’t apply here as does reading comprehension.
Right. :ROFLMAO: It is a good thing for me to laugh. Keeps my mind off things like medical issues. Plus I got caught up a while back with too much following of news all day. Most of that not good for anyone. Lately I really been enjoying reading posts here. Serious and the funnies. Even the rock throwing ones at times (if not too personal or heated) LoL can be humorous. I like that there are so many real knowledgeable folks here with a sense of humor. Ok - too much off subject. All be well + have a good evening.

Back