Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 Now SN Rated

Now, important question: how old is that jug or what is date code? Thanks
Delvac was just purchased in the last couple months. What I assume is the date code says " 11023E02A 6053"

Last edited:
FEB 2024 bought 2 gallons from walmart and i can confirm SN is on the gallon jugs. i just wish walmart would have had the 10w-30 in stock seeing as im going to use it in a 1987 34ft class A motorhome with a ford 460 LOL

rotella T4 2024 walmart.jpg

FEB 2024 bought 2 gallons from walmart and i can confirm SN is on the gallon jugs. i just wish walmart would have had the 10w-30 in stock seeing as im going to use it in a 1987 34ft class A motorhome with a ford 460 LOL
Perfect, but I don't think the 10w-30 is SN though. Should be fine but wanted to mention that.

Perfect, but I don't think the 10w-30 is SN though. Should be fine but wanted to mention that.
It would not be, All ILSAC grades are required to meat the RC limits for phosphorus if they claim the dual-rating. But the 15W40 should have pretty much the same ad package on a healthy motor it won't make much of a difference ,probably wouldn't toss it in an oil burner that you don't want to risk clogging the cat on.

It would not be, All ILSAC grades are required to meat the RC limits for phosphorus if they claim the dual-rating. But the 15W40 should have pretty much the same ad package on a healthy motor it won't make much of a difference ,probably wouldn't toss it in an oil burner that you don't want to risk clogging the cat on.
my application is a 34' fleetwood pace arrow eleganza ( john deere with ford carbureted 460/c6 trans/dana70HD) so no cat in my application. 10w-30 was factory but a lot of people online ( same application of class A motorhome ford 460) were using the rotella 15w-40 diesel oil which was easier to get and at $16.00 a gallon from walmart.com store pickup was cheaper and safer bet than going to autozone or orielly which was more expensive and wanted to push their store brand over name brand. reason for it over others was the zinc content which was what others were saying the 460 needed due to it being older flat tappet.

with all of that said however, i just read somethign to day saying the rotella is synth but autozone, and oriellys have it listed as conventional not synthetic and hte container doesnt say it is synthetic either nor have i found it online either to confirm. that is my only worry because out of multiple older vehicles i have found synthetic oils not playing well with seals and gaskets, even the new dex/merc ( dexron 3) doesnt play nice with seals and gaskets which honestly i was expecting considering the manual calls for dexron II and dex/merc is slightly different from dexIII which dex III is slightly different from dex II.

(rant below)
honestly i find it sad that politicians and goverment entities cant keep their noses out of our vehicles pushing policies that cause damage to our older vehicles which would in normal circumstances last forever with maintenance. i mean really if they want to combat "climate" issues why not go after china the number 1 polluter.

(rant over)

10w-30 T4 has a different add pack. There are MORE additives in 10w-30 T4 than 15w-40 T4 & definitely goes over the limits for 30 grade. Why don't we don't see a dual rating on them like you mentioned. I'm comparing T4 here since that's what the commenter bought that I replied to.

The API
10w-30 T4 has a different add pack. There are MORE additives in 10w-30 T4 than 15w-40 T4 & definitely goes over the limits for 30 grade. Why don't we don't see a dual rating on them like you mentioned. I'm comparing T4 here since that's what the commenter bought that I replied to.
I said there would be no dual rating, you can't dual rate 10W-30 unless it complies with the resource conserving limit which is 800ppm of phos. What I've seen of Rotella is they usually have around 1100ppm of phos in their formulations except the multi-vehicle and Natural Gas versions.

The API

I said there would be no dual rating, you can't dual rate 10W-30 unless it complies with the resource conserving limit which is 800ppm of phos. What I've seen of Rotella is they usually have around 1100ppm of phos in their formulations except the multi-vehicle and Natural Gas versions.
basically rotella just didnt want to bow to the epa with the 10W-30 by lowering the zddp. when the epa and fed started pushing emissions and use of catalytic converters on new vehicles was when oil started to lose additives that older gasoline engines needed which is why people started using diesel oil in them and sadly this is happening with diesel oils now.

The API

Yes, we agree about the dual rating & my statement sounded like a question 🤦‍♂️ . When you mentioned 15w-40 should have the same add pack it can get confusing as to which oil you were referring to. I was just describing the additive package in 10w-30 T4 has a different add pack than 15w-40 T4 based on that comment before. Unless you are referring to 5w-40 & 15w-40 of which do indeed have the same add pack.

basically rotella just didnt want to bow to the epa with the 10W-30 by lowering the zddp. when the epa and fed started pushing emissions and use of catalytic converters on new vehicles was when oil started to lose additives that older gasoline engines needed which is why people started using diesel oil in them and sadly this is happening with diesel oils now.
The API is not really driven by the government, infact the API is largely a lobbying group that does anything to oppose government regulation, the API/ILSAC in terms of oil specifications is a consortium of automotive manufacturers that make standards based on the auto makers needs, the auto makers found it necessary to reduce the amount of phosphorous anti-wear additives to prolong catalyst life, and anyways modern engines are designed where they don't need tons of EP anti-wear additives anyways, everyone acts like ZDDP is the has-all-end-all of anti-wear chemistry, you just need enough to be sufficient, too much ZDDP just increases the amount of friction anyways, these lower ZDDP oils have been the norm for 2 decades, and still most cars don't suffer engine failures unless maintenance was completely neglected or unless they have a severe manufacturing defect, modern oils are formulated well for modern cars with turbo charged direct injection DOHC motors with long timing chains and they do a good job at protecting that kind of engine as well as more mild older engines, high ZDDP is really only needed on flat tappet engines with very stiff spring and extremely high lift other than that there's not much purpose in loading modern passenger car formulations up with it as it just creates more friction and contributes to worse valve deposits.

Back