Apple Watch

What’s everyone’s opinion on them or smart watches in general? My wife, her sister and brother in law all love theirs. I don’t even wear mine. I don’t care what my heart rate is, how many steps I take in a day and am annoyed by the fact I’m constantly tied to the notifications of my phone even if it’s in another room.

Then again they all love home pods and I’m constantly unplugging ours. The kids run by it and turn music on or it answers a question in the middle of a conversation both of which annoy me.

Maybe I’m just that old guy that is scared of technology 🤷‍♂️

I have had a fitbit 2 for several years. I decided to try the fitbit 5 and it was extremely buggy and had severe battery life issues. I settled with a fitbit 4 and now getting normal usage and expected battery life (4-6 days).

I looked pretty hard at Apple Watches last year and they all really disappoint with battery life (36 hours at best). That is terrible in my opinion, so have looked the other direction.

I have an older Amazfit T-Rex. I bought it to mainly track steps, and for that it works very well. Not sure about other stuff such as notifications from your phone - I don't use it for that. One thing I wanted was good battery life - it'll last 30 days on a single charge with my usage.

The techy people I know, love them. The not so techy people I know, seem to do just fine without them. Really depends on what your need is. If you’re tethered to your work via email and txt, they can be a helpful tool. I’ve been in the tech biz for 25+ years and have no desire to wear one. My iPhone bothers me enough as it is. I’m also not much of a watch wearer but if I were to wear a watch, I’d prefer a classic timepiece, not a computer.

Turn off the health stuff on your iPhone. Then try wearing it. It's convenient to answer phone calls, texts etc when you phone is not nearby. Turn Siri off too and it won't bother you. I'm an old guy too.

My wife bought me one about three years ago. I never asked for one. I wore it for about two weeks and couldn't stand it anymore. One of the most annoying gadgets known to man.

Thinking about getting a basic one just to see calls and messages as i hate having to go to my phone to see who's calling or texting me only for it to be spam. I don't care about the fancy stuff the expensive ones provide so if you've got an iphone and want it to all blend in well maybe just get the more basic one they sell for less than their other ones. I know they've got a version that connects to the network but i think it's unnecessary. The Bluetooth one should be fine, one's almost never that far away from their phone.

You can turn most of your annoyances off. Most people don't get a smart watch to turn it into a dumb watch, so it may not be the right fit for what you want in a time piece. Plus it will wear out faster than any dumb watch. Mine is only able to get through a work day and needs a new battery which is $100.

I like mine overall, but I've also turned off the stuff that I don't want notifications for.

IMO, it sounds like you have the wrong device on your wrist.

My wife bought me one about three years ago. I never asked for one. I wore it for about two weeks and couldn't stand it anymore. One of the most annoying gadgets known to man.

Same. I gave it a little over a week, mostly because I didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

She keeps thinking I’m joking when she asks what I want for Christmas or birthday and I tell her that I’d rather get rid of some of the things we already have and don’t use. That would make a great gift.

What’s everyone’s opinion on them or smart watches in general? My wife, her sister and brother in law all love theirs. I don’t even wear mine. I don’t care what my heart rate is, how many steps I take in a day and am annoyed by the fact I’m constantly tied to the notifications of my phone even if it’s in another room.

Then again they all love home pods and I’m constantly unplugging ours. The kids run by it and turn music on or it answers a question in the middle of a conversation both of which annoy me.

Then i would not use it.

If you need the health aspect of it, run it in airplane mode.

My job doesn't allow me to wear smartwatches so I've never bothered to get one just to have to change to something more basic for work. I have mostly G-Shocks with a couple of mechanicals. I just don't think I'd be that interested in a smart watch because I wear a different watch every 2-3 days.

Smart watches help save lives, help people stay healthy, have fall protection, emergency SOS to family members as a prime function to those who use them for that purpose.

The other purpose is an extension of the cell phone to send messages, talk on the phone, use your credit cards without carrying them.

I pay for most stuff using my watch, sometimes my phone and only take out the credit card or remember to take it with me if I am going to a few retailers that do not have the capability to accept wireless payments.

As far as fitness, doctors can use the information that the watch records to aid in a treatment or further testing, such providing them with ECGs taken at home, heart rates, respiration rates.
Also fitness tracker ability is nothing short of amazing in working out, exercising, there are many more things they do.

All the above are my wife and I experiences with Apple Watches, I dont know the other brands. My cardiologist and electrophysiologist were THRILLED with my dozens of ECG readouts that I recorded whenever I felt strange sensations in my chest that would wake me in the middle of the night but day time I was fine and also when I saw them. Because of that they hooked me up to a 24 or 48 hour device of their own that I wore home, it recorded all the whacked out heartbeats at night that the watch showed them. Led me to get it corrected with an ablation before any damage was done to my heart. It was so bad at times, I didnt know if I would wake up in the morning.

If your not into the above stuff, clearly its not for you but for those into trying to take care of themselves and communication wise they are great. 🙂 I look forward to the day blood pressure can be monitored as well as blood sugar. I do my own blood pressure a few times a month. All is good, I love accurate gadgets and all technology. We all have our hobbies.

Last edited:
My job doesn't allow me to wear smartwatches so I've never bothered to get one just to have to change to something more basic for work. I have mostly G-Shocks with a couple of mechanicals. I just don't think I'd be that interested in a smart watch because I wear a different watch every 2-3 days.
That's interesting. What is your job and why no smartwatch?

I just got the Ultra on 12/21. Charged it when I got home. I've charged it 3 times since then. I'm getting 1 hour per 1% of charge so I can go basically 4 actual days, 96 hours, on a charge. I like having pulse ox and heart rate monitors available. I like having day/date, weather and large 24 hour time reading. And it's convenient when my phone is in a pocket out of reach to see who's calling etc.

It's not a watch. It's intrusive technology I don't want that on my wrist. The phone is annoying enough. Just my opinion. Courses for horses. However, I wear a watch 24/7/365.

It's not a watch. It's intrusive technology I don't want that on my wrist. The phone is annoying enough. Just my opinion. Courses for horses. However, I wear a watch 24/7/365.
Exactly. I wear a watch to know what time it is. I have no need for it to do anything else.

I've had a couple and all four us have one currently. I'd recommend a cover they tend to crack easily. It's good for checking a incoming message and not having to pull the phone out, especially when you're at work or the kids at school. I have the stand feature turned on which tends to be tuned when I need to hit the restroom lol. On occasion I use it for controlling the volume when listening to podcast. Guess all depends on what you want to use it for.. it can be pain but every feature can be easily turned off.

Back