SMA - Krown previously, Fluid Film Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krown is a non-toxic bio-degradeable oil that contains no solvents. From what I understand it's just a high zinc based oil that gives off electrons more freely thus protecting the metal it's sprayed on. It does contain some petroleum in it but I think it's a mild amount to something that could be food grade if it were certified for that, to aid in it sticking to the vehicle and repelling moisture.

It's so non-toxic my local place they don't even wear masks applying it as they breath in with a heavy cloud around them, the owner of my place has been doing this for over 20 years and seems healthy. Although the do have masks available there.

That said I buy a few cans of it in Aerosol and use it for various things around the house. I like to spray my A/C compressor coil at the end of the season once I have washed it, and then cover with it's season cover and by the late spring when it's ready to be fired up again the coating is dry and has protected the unit from the moisture during the winter. My A/C is 6 years old now and the copper elbows on the coils still are shiny copper colour and haven't tarnished or discoloured being exposed to the outside and that makes me happy.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

It's so non-toxic my local place they don't even wear masks applying it as they breath in with a heavy cloud around them, the owner of my place has been doing this for over 20 years and seems healthy. Although the do have masks available there.

Talk about playing with fire, that's about as stupid as it gets.........

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Talk about playing with fire, that's about as stupid as it gets.........

Mechanics used to blow asbestos dust out of brakes for a service...nothing much happened to them for 20 years either.

Safe as houses...

I'm not sure it is we eat far worse things that are considered food and not really. Look at cheese like products and the filings in twinkies. Most of the time they contain petroleum products. Further I've seen the owners of the two shops I dealt with over the past almost 3 decades not wearing masks and they seem fine.

Again I don't think it's wise either because it is a chemical but I don't think it's as toxic as some of the other sprays out there because of what they contain is all I'm getting at. We have let our vehicles drop on the grass and it does nothing to it, and the stuff that gets on the asphalt driveway washes away after a few weeks without damaging it. I'm told that if it had a solvent in it like most chain/bar lube or penetrating fluids and similar products it would cause the asphalt to have oily spots not easily removed and this would soften it and damage it over time.

Anyway, to each their own. The main goal is to prevent rust. Lots of great stuff out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hootbro

Here ya go: Rustproofing compound It does extremely well in salt spray tests. Trav had turned me onto it a few years back. He's used it for years in MA, IIRC he used FF too.

Thanks, looks interesting. Either seeing rattle can, 5 gallon pail or 55 gallon drums of the stuff. Might try it if I could find a gallon can quantity.

Also see it recommends a 3 to 1 mix ratio with mineral spirits.

They don't sell it in gallons unfortunately. You'd be surprised how fast it goes though. I did both my Jeeps and have about a gallon, give or take remaining. They sell a thinned version, I saw no advantage to that. I like to thin it myself and get it just right.

A gallon of Fluid Film covers both my vehicles for an annual application cycle. That stuff you mentioned is not economically obtainable for a home user in smaller quantities or general retail availability without going through an industrial supplier.

I may get a rattle can of the stuff to try out, but at the moment, the economics are better for me anyways to stick with Fluid Film.

Hootbro you can buy Krown in Aerosol cans via their US ordering website if you want to use that instead.

Been covered here before: Krown can be purchased in gallons/ 5 gallons in the U.S. through their industrial line (via SKF). It's not easy and it doesn't seem cheap. It can be had through Auto Value stores and maybe large truck service centers.

https://www.midwestwheel.com/%5Cspecials%5Ccatalog0%5C10Krown%20Fleet130001182017.pdf

Google: SKF Chemicals Part #KA74004-4

EDIT: Stevie, my reply was to toss in the option of gallons/5 gallons for those interested.

Last edited:

Here ya go: Rustproofing compound It does extremely well in salt spray tests. Trav had turned me onto it a few years back. He's used it for years in MA, IIRC he used FF too.

Thanks, looks interesting. Either seeing rattle can, 5 gallon pail or 55 gallon drums of the stuff. Might try it if I could find a gallon can quantity.

Also see it recommends a 3 to 1 mix ratio with mineral spirits.

They don't sell it in gallons unfortunately. You'd be surprised how fast it goes though. I did both my Jeeps and have about a gallon, give or take remaining. They sell a thinned version, I saw no advantage to that. I like to thin it myself and get it just right.

A gallon of Fluid Film covers both my vehicles for an annual application cycle. That stuff you mentioned is not economically obtainable for a home user in smaller quantities or general retail availability without going through an industrial supplier.

I may get a rattle can of the stuff to try out, but at the moment, the economics are better for me anyways to stick with Fluid Film.

I hear ya. For me I was able to make good use of it.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by KrisZ

Now that I've read the other thread, I kind of agree with Shannow.
What's the point of sending a perfectly good body, that's rust free to the junkyard anyway? That's the logic you used for 20w oils. A valid point IMO.

Agreed, I know this topic gets kicked around often here and there's a lot of anecdotal 'evidence' supporting that fluid film or krown works. I work with many Canadians who view having a vehicle treated with Krown as routine as an oil change. It's just something they always do.

To me it's more of a feel good thing. Since Krown is readily accessible to me now, I had my 2017 Ram done a few weeks ago. Today I cant tell that it was sprayed with anything at all. If I took a clean paper towel to under the doors or tailgate I can see evidence is about it. This is "perfectly normal" per the place that applied it. It's magical properties are still there doing their thing.

To quote one of my least favorite sayings, It's a cheap insurance thing.. Like throwing money at an extended warranty.

Well, it has become a feel good thing for many and Krown capitalizes on it big time.

I don't remember if this was your thread or another Ram rustproofing one, but in one I mentioned dripping. The less it drops the less was applied, especially on a new vehicle that was never treated before. From my experience Krown application quality and quantity has gone down hill by a lot

Stevie has a different opinion, but he knows the owner of the shop he goes to and often applies twice a year. Something that is often not mentioned by him. Not saying he does it intentionally, but it's very important, especially for guys in US making a special trip.

I would say it has a lot/most to due with the shop. I have been to a few over the years, both Rust Check and Krown due to lackluster jobs but my current Krown place, unlike the previous owner, does a great job.

I use to do this myself but when I was told of a guy I used for a few years, it made no sense for me to carry on. He was more anal than I was about doing a good job.
Unbenounced to me, and after I booked an appointment, I found out it sold it to Monroe here in Oshawa. Needless to say, after I seen the job they did, I never went back.
Today, with expenses through the roof, most businesses try to cut corners here and there so one has to shop around a bit more unfortunately.
If you are truly not happy with the job a shop did, complain, show them the dry spots, etc. If you get nothing but pushback, complain to head office. I think most places see how much a consumer will take until the pushback starts before they start improving again.

The trouble is, most places like this know most people are ignorant or won't complain so they have free range to carry on with this practice.

Ask for Craig at their head office in Schomberg, ON. He's a really good guy and cares. I've met him personally and got to see their operations there. Not much to look at from the outside though.
grin2.gif

On a related note, my father-in-law had his 2017 Nissan Frontier treated by Ziebart last week. He just happened to be "driving by" and stopped in for a quote. Their original quote was over $1000 worth of services. When my FIL balked at that, the guy supposedly asked him how much he wanted to spend. My FIL said $300. ~$600 and 1hr later he was on his way.
lol.gif
I haven't seen his truck to see what they did, but I assume it's the black sticky stuff applied to the frame and fluid film type stuff on the underbody. "Free" yearly re-treatments.

I was under my 2017 Ram yesterday that was treated with Krown a few weeks ago. I disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled rear brakes. To contrast my above statements, even though you can't readily see Krown everywhere underneath. You come up messy if you touch it. That's a good thing I suppose.

The bottoms of my doors always have a black haze on them from the Krown creeping out and then collecting road dust/dirt. If I wipe them clean it will reappear in a few month so it's there doing it's thing. I have been under the Highlander to change the Diff/T-Case oil to get the break-in wear out of there and the Krown was already applied. It looked dry but flexing of the hand here/there where it would contact various surfaces sprayed left residue on my hands.

I noticed today just spraying around sparingly with a Krown can that the fluid is much thicker and therefore less runny. The previous times I have used, I think it flowed/was runnier than this?

Maybe a new formula or maybe just because it was in the can?

Either way, after noticing everything underneath my truck that I had sprayed, I'd say the guys at the shop did a great job.
cheers3.gif

I didn't read the whole thread but saw part of it.

Lots of talk about sending rust free cars to the junk yard... What?

We don't take cars to the junk yard here, we sell them on Craigslist and someone puts an engine it it etc.

The only person I've ever met who junked a car is a friend of mine who is a mechanic. He bought a Jeep for $200 with a blown engine, he used all sorts of parts for his Jeep and then junked it all parted out.

They are forever tweaking their formulas as vehicle needs change and they discover a formulation that works slightly better etc. As I said before the stuff they used in the 1980's was much thicker and dried thick. This newer stuff seems to go on thin and leave an invisible coating until you get some on your hands sort of thing. Whatever it is currently it seems to be working.

That said I use the Aerosol every season to coat my A/C compressor outside after a good pressure washing and it seems to be the same although my can I have is a year old at this point.

They are forever tweaking their formulas as vehicle needs change and they discover a formulation that works slightly better etc. As I said before the stuff they used in the 1980's was much thicker and dried thick. This newer stuff seems to go on thin and leave an invisible coating until you get some on your hands sort of thing. Whatever it is currently it seems to be working.

That said I use the Aerosol every season to coat my A/C compressor outside after a good pressure washing and it seems to be the same although my can I have is a year old at this point.

I was happy with the result as it seemed to stick much better, almost like Fluid Film. I also like how far it sprayed. While I was under my truck I noticed a couple bolts way up under and above my bumper. From where I was laying, I thought this is hopeless but the spray reached those bolts no problem.

Before my back got bad I would have crawled under the vehicle and inspected before the winter but now I just get them to spray the underneath again and do the whole vehicle in the spring because I'm paranoid of rust. Not sure why, never had an issue but it's my OCD. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back