SMA - Krown previously, Fluid Film Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rust will kill a car. I've had to junk a car due to rust alone, had it not rusted out structurally to the point where the control arm moved laterally, because there was no socket left in the subframe to hold it, I would have kept the car.

Auto manufacturers literally tell you to wash the undercarriage if driven in salty conditions inside the owner's manual. They tell you that because they know undercarriages and structural components exposed to salt will rust. It then surmises that you can either let the salt get on and wash it off like the manufacturer says or use fluid film or krown and wash that off instead at the end of the season. Doing neither would be stupid and against manufacturer recommendation.

Fluid Film my RAM and the wife's Renegade weekend before last. Bought the exact same kit shown in the SMA video and have similar impressions with it.

I have used Fluid Film for the last 5 years in my vehicles and found it does a good enough job until the next year annual application.

I've found it washes too fast for two of my three vehicles (the third mostly sits). As they get 20-25k/year I guess it's not a surprise. For my usage it needs to be touched up / resprayed at least once in the winter. Once I use up the last two gallons I have I'll think about using Krown (saw two ads this fall for local garages!) or something else that I can spray. Then again the stuff is cheap and easy to use. Is is the same cost to spray Krown once per year as FF twice a year? Dunno.

My VW went the distance w/o using it--but it did lose two fenders and the rear hatch in the process. The hatch would have gone even with oil coating. Wife's Civic went the distance also but I decided it was too crusty for me to feel good about, and technically was still a good runner (but I hated that car). So I've started to spray in hopes that rust is slow enough that everything else wears out at the same rate. Ideally I'd send my cars off with every part uniformly worn/rusted/dented/used-up.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by demarpaint
There are better products that last longer, and provide better protection. For the amount of time and effort that goes into the job, I went with a better product. It costs more to use something better, but my time is worth more than the additional cost of a better product.

I think he chose Fluid Film because he has experience with it in the past before using Krown, and he mentions in the video he didn't have time to get up to Krown which isn't around the corner from him. I would agree though there are many products better than Fluid Film out there for this type of application. Although Fluid Film is better than nothing, especially with him being in the rust belt.

I understand that. My logic is if I'm going to do all that work, which I have done on more than one vehicle I'd rather use a better product. I equate it to painting a house, I'd rather pay up and use a better product which I know is better and will last longer. The application process is the same.

I understand that. My logic is if I'm going to do all that work, which I have done on more than one vehicle I'd rather use a better product. I equate it to painting a house, I'd rather pay up and use a better product which I know is better and will last longer. The application process is the same.

Is it a "Scooby Doo" mystery on what this "better product" you have twice stated but have not named?

Originally Posted by Shannow
Millions of cars make it to the junkyard without it after leading long lives with the corrosion protection that comes from the factory.
Don't you think if that wasn't the case, they would do something about it ?

Live in the Rust Belt for 5 years which affects some of the most heavily populated areas of the US/Canada.
wink.gif

As for scaring the BITOG populous this just makes you look like a big baby because you couldn't have a lively discussion when someone questioned you on something they didn't agree with. Are you going to run around BITOG stocking my threads with this kind of nonsense now?
crazy2.gif

Now that I've read the other thread, I kind of agree with Shannow.
What's the point of sending a perfectly good body, that's rust free to the junkyard anyway? That's the logic you used for 20w oils. A valid point IMO.

I wouldn't send a perfectly good body to the scrap yard but typically if you are running well past the junk point of most vehicles and have rust proofed along the way the transmission might have given up by then, or the interior or like one my vehicles the wire harness caught on fire because the plastic connectors got brittle over 2 decades and 2 heavy amperage wires melted together before the fuse block.

The other of my cars were taken out by a deer, accident, and the Santa Fe was a casting defect (or at least that is what it looked like) in the camshaft.

So unless the goal was to run to the million mile mark there was no sense IMO to stress over a 20wt oil.

Now I'm not commenting further because I don't want the other threads to spill over into this one because it's unrelated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ

What's the point of sending a perfectly good body, that's rust free to the junkyard anyway? That's the logic you used for 20w oils. A valid point IMO.

Agreed, I know this topic gets kicked around often here and there's a lot of anecdotal 'evidence' supporting that fluid film or krown works. I work with many Canadians who view having a vehicle treated with Krown as routine as an oil change. It's just something they always do.

To me it's more of a feel good thing. Since Krown is readily accessible to me now, I had my 2017 Ram done a few weeks ago. Today I cant tell that it was sprayed with anything at all. If I took a clean paper towel to under the doors or tailgate I can see evidence is about it. This is "perfectly normal" per the place that applied it. It's magical properties are still there doing their thing.

To quote one of my least favorite sayings, It's a cheap insurance thing.. Like throwing money at an extended warranty.

Last edited:
As someone who has used Krown since the first year they were around I can tell you it works. Back in the day it was a much thicker oil coating similar to the caked on stuff that OE's will put on. Now they use a really thin spray that is supposed to be self healing and it dries to the touch. That said none of the vehicle we have applied it to have had any rust and their undercarriages looked great 20 years down the line. The best was our 1986 Dodge Caravan treated with Krown every year and it went to the scrap yard 22 years later with 0 rust due to an electrical fire and a really really tired 2.6L Mitsu 4 cylinder. Just FWIW.

I have posted pictures of it just before it was retired showing it had 0 rust. I'll see if I can dig up the photo somewhere in my files. It was many computers ago.

Last edited:
StevieC, I hear you bud and I argue this in a friendly manner with my Canadian friends when it comes up. The only way to know it works is to have two identical vehicles driven in identical conditions and compare the results with one treated and one not. An impossible task.

Originally Posted by JTK

Agreed, I know this topic gets kicked around often here and there's a lot of anecdotal 'evidence' supporting that fluid film or krown works. I work with many Canadians who view having a vehicle treated with Krown as routine as an oil change. It's just something they always do.

To me it's more of a feel good thing. Since Krown is readily accessible to me now, I had my 2017 Ram done a few weeks ago. Today I cant tell that it was sprayed with anything at all. If I took a clean paper towel to under the doors or tailgate I can see evidence is about it. This is "perfectly normal" per the place that applied it. It's magical properties are still there doing their thing.

To quote one of my least favorite sayings, It's a cheap insurance thing.. Like throwing money at an extended warranty.

Well, it has become a feel good thing for many and Krown capitalizes on it big time.

I don't remember if this was your thread or another Ram rustproofing one, but in one I mentioned dripping. The less it drops the less was applied, especially on a new vehicle that was never treated before. From my experience Krown application quality and quantity has gone down hill by a lot

Stevie has a different opinion, but he knows the owner of the shop he goes to and often applies twice a year. Something that is often not mentioned by him. Not saying he does it intentionally, but it's very important, especially for guys in US making a special trip.

Originally Posted by JTK
StevieC, I hear you bud and I argue this in a friendly manner with my Canadian friends when it comes up. The only way to know it works is to have two identical vehicles driven in identical conditions and compare the results with one treated and one not. An impossible task.

Totally understand. No offense taken. Just offering my experiences with. Folks will have to try for themselves.

Stevie has a different opinion, but he knows the owner of the shop he goes to and often applies twice a year. Something that is often not mentioned by him. Not saying he does it intentionally, but it's very important, especially for guys in US making a special trip.

The Dodge Caravan from 1986 got it done yearly because my folks were paying then. For my vehicles because I drive heavy miles and because I'm paranoid about rust I get the whole vehicle done including the underneath done in the spring once a year and the underneath done again by itself in the fall to ensure I can sleep at night.
grin2.gif

I'm sure yearly would be fine though... That said I have to book an appointment because fall is upon us here. It went down to single digits (celcius) this weekend.

Krown does guarantee that if you apply every year from when the vehicle was newer than 2 years old and a certain mileage they will guarantee the body to be rust free for as long as you own it or they will repair it free of charge. So far the Krown shop I go to has had to fix 1 vehicle in 20 years and he thinks it's because the paint was defective on the truck and allowed for exposed surface metal but he didn't argue and replaced the door affected rather than bondo/paint. The rest of the vehicle never rusted at all. They are insured for this guarantee so it's no haggle apparently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hootbro

Is it a "Scooby Doo" mystery on what this "better product" you have twice stated but have not named?

Here ya go: Rustproofing compound It does extremely well in salt spray tests. Trav had turned me onto it a few years back. He's used it for years in MA, IIRC he used FF too.

The Dodge Caravan from 1986 got it done yearly because my folks were paying then. For my vehicles because I drive heavy miles and because I'm paranoid about rust I get the whole vehicle done including the underneath done in the spring once a year and the underneath done again by itself in the fall to ensure I can sleep at night.
grin2.gif

I'm sure yearly would be fine though... That said I have to book an appointment because fall is upon us here. It went down to single digits (celcius) this weekend.

Krown does guarantee that if you apply every year from when the vehicle was newer than 2 years old and a certain mileage they will guarantee the body to be rust free for as long as you own it or they will repair it free of charge.

I'm talking now, not 86. Even back in 2006 when I first used them for my Mazda 3, they used a lot more product. Then as their popularity started to grow, I have seen first hand them using less and less product. Eventually I stopped using them because I was getting tired of constantly getting them to apply more.

Sure, there are still good shops left, but it's not as it used to be.

I simply want to point this out because you just keep mentioning your 86 example as it it were relevant today. It is not and your own practice poves it. OCD or not, if you had total confidence in the product (like you do for 20w oil for example) you would apply annually. Krown does not have a mileage limit, only time.

Last edited:
I would complain to their head office. Craig is the guy in charge of those affairs and he is really good following up on stuff. That said mine is always making a mess of the driveway after an application. Looks like I drive a GM or something. Just kidding GM fans.
grin2.gif

My dad's 2012 hasn't been sprayed for the last 4 years, I only had it done the first couple of years I drove it for work and it still has 0 rust on it with 300K if that counts for anything.

My '06 Santa Fe had 0 rust on it 9 years out and it was sprayed yearly. Not double sprayed like my later vehicles.

Last edited:

Here ya go: Rustproofing compound It does extremely well in salt spray tests. Trav had turned me onto it a few years back. He's used it for years in MA, IIRC he used FF too.

Thanks, looks interesting. Either seeing rattle can, 5 gallon pail or 55 gallon drums of the stuff. Might try it if I could find a gallon can quantity.

Also see it recommends a 3 to 1 mix ratio with mineral spirits.

Originally Posted by Hootbro

Thanks, looks interesting. Either seeing rattle can, 5 gallon pail or 55 gallon drums of the stuff. Might try it if I could find a gallon can quantity.

Also see it recommends a 3 to 1 mix ratio with mineral spirits.

They don't sell it in gallons unfortunately. You'd be surprised how fast it goes though. I did both my Jeeps and have about a gallon, give or take remaining. They sell a thinned version, I saw no advantage to that. I like to thin it myself and get it just right.

I have only used fluid film. I do see the susceptibility to wash off. But one thing I like about it is that it's all natural and safe for the environment, being made out of an animal by product. Is Krown similar? Or is just throwing some petroleum jelly all over the landscape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back