Krown: Tests vs Real World

I see a lot of tests online of different rust proofing. They take a bolt or piece of steel. Spray it down. Expose to elements and check later. In these kinds of tests Krown doesn't do as well as the competition. This is also what the Canadian Army test showed.

However in real world application to a car people are very happy with the performance.

Where do you think the discrepancy comes from? People haven't tried other products to compare? The level of protection is enough even though other products are better? The application process? Or is there something different about spraying one bolt/metal piece vs entire car?

Maybe it creeps well enough to replenish itself? I think in practice rust only starts in maybe 5-10% of the area underneath a car, so as long as there's enough protected "overspray areas" to supply more oil to creep, it works well?
If I was protecting bolts out in the weather, I'd just use paint, not rust spray.... Under a car is bit different situation.

Reactions: JC1
Where do you think the discrepancy comes from? People haven't tried other products to compare? The level of protection is enough even though other products are better? The application process? Or is there something different about spraying one bolt/metal piece vs entire car?
Any test result is of that single circumstance and conditions in a particular setting, so yes, there might be something different comparing corrosion protection on a wire wrapped bolt vs. an entire car. The Corrosion Free might have the best chemical make-up to inhibit rust, but in the real world the other products might be good enough to get similar results on a vehicle. Does that make sense? An analogy involving the oil we study: In a laboratory test an oil might test as having the least wear, but in the real world with lots of variables, another oil of lesser test results might do better in any given engine.

Unless you are trained to analyze statistical testing, look at all research as data that reflects one situation, one set of conditions, etc. that may not stay consistent in real life. Even peer reviewed published research is often fraught with bias and mistakes.

Krown protects the body panels that the average consumer actually sees. The Joe and Julie average don't get down on their knees and see the underside that may not be so clear of rust, well, because. The Canadian Military likes Formula 3000 stuff because it's so thick and sticks. The thick stuff is well suited to the undercarriage, the thin for creeping in the crevices. YMMV.

I believe it's because generally, people who use Krown, have it applied yearly or some 2x per year. That's where the magic happens. Application after application is bound to work it's way everywhere and provide maximum coverage. Any oil spray product you do yearly is going to work similarly IMO.

I have used both ( Krown and CF ).

If applied properly, I prefer CF because it offers a warranty for the undercarriage whereas Krown doesn’t.

Problem with CF is that Canadian tire is usually the only place that does it and I would not trust them to apply it properly.

Also, I just bought a new house and I don’t want fluid dripping on my nice garage floor.

CF doesn’t drip, not at all.

Real world, none of my cars have any rust ( but have used both products on all three ) on them, including the undercarriage. 12 years old.

It might not be better than other sprays, but it's better than not using anything at all :sneaky:

If Krown is cheaper than the others, then the value proposition is still good :)

Reactions: JTK
I believe it's because generally, people who use Krown, have it applied yearly or some 2x per year. That's where the magic happens. Application after application is bound to work it's way everywhere and provide maximum coverage. Any oil spray product you do yearly is going to work similarly IMO.

Yup, that's exactly it. And in Canada there are so many Krown shops that it's easy to re-spray every year, that's the "magic".

I’ll use Fluid Film or NH oil undercoating twice a year. It builds up a nice barrier, and it layers itself. But it takes years, one application will wash away pretty quickly. There will still be residue under there doing “something”, but not enough.

And for the higher exposure areas I’ll apply something a little more durable, usually white lithium grease...I’ve also used cosmoline, or any sort of thicker/waxy solution.

I’ve never used Krown but I suspect it would perform as well as Fluid Film. Honestly, I’m finding that NH oil undercoating does a slightly better job than the fluid film. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by it, yet I also realize that they’re so similar that it might have just been a coincidence.

Krown protects the body panels that the average consumer actually sees. The Joe and Julie average don't get down on their knees and see the underside that may not be so clear of rust, well, because. The Canadian Military likes Formula 3000 stuff because it's so thick and sticks. The thick stuff is well suited to the undercarriage, the thin for creeping in the crevices. YMMV.

This is why people say I never coated my car and there is zero rust. Modern cars don't rust. Galvanized cars don't rust. German cars don't rust, etc.

However, wouldn't Krown users check?

Anyways, that is a good point about thin vs thick product.

I’ll use Fluid Film or NH oil undercoating twice a year. It builds up a nice barrier, and it layers itself. But it takes years, one application will wash away pretty quickly. There will still be residue under there doing “something”, but not enough.

And for the higher exposure areas I’ll apply something a little more durable, usually white lithium grease...I’ve also used cosmoline, or any sort of thicker/waxy solution.

I’ve never used Krown but I suspect it would perform as well as Fluid Film. Honestly, I’m finding that NH oil undercoating does a slightly better job than the fluid film. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by it, yet I also realize that they’re so similar that it might have just been a coincidence.
What is your objective evidence that NH works “slightly” better than fluid film?

Photo of the engine bay ground on my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
4 applications of Krown since new.

I think the headline might be "No green crustys here Mrs. O "

20230416_144647 (2).jpg

Last edited:
What is your objective evidence that NH works “slightly” better than fluid film?
At the end of the winter it was still there, and there wasn’t any noticeable new rust. Whereas in years past, fluid film would be washed away, with dry metal showing with rust.

I wonder, how much worse is the rusting in Canada, vs. say Boston? I don't think (could be wrong) rustproofing even exists down here. It did when i was a kid....Ziebart.

Example....my wife's 2011 GM SUV is pearl white, so underneath it's orange with rust. I managed to install a trailer hitch when it was 10 (wasn't sure it would work, all holes severely rusted). I live in PA btw--so even rustproofed, how much better off would the car be. Never garaged, washed when we can in the winter, salt is used here...though last year there was no snow...

Photo of the engine bay ground on my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
4 applications of Krown since new.

I think the headline might be "No green crustys here Mrs. O "

View attachment 158754
Just a lot of oily gritty mess. Not sure if that’s bad or a feature. I have Krowned multiple cars, some professionally, some myself. They don’t get that messy…

I wonder, how much worse is the rusting in Canada, vs. say Boston? I don't think (could be wrong) rustproofing even exists down here. It did when i was a kid....Ziebart.

Example....my wife's 2011 GM SUV is pearl white, so underneath it's orange with rust. I managed to install a trailer hitch when it was 10 (wasn't sure it would work, all holes severely rusted). I live in PA btw--so even rustproofed, how much better off would the car be. Never garaged, washed when we can in the winter, salt is used here...though last year there was no snow...

It depends how much salt is applied.

They may be applying it revent ice formation if there is no snow.

The Krown shop I went to recommended not washing the undercarriage in the winter. They said the hot water from the wash will accelerate the rust reaction.

It depends how much salt is applied.

They may be applying it revent ice formation if there is no snow.

The Krown shop I went to recommended not washing the undercarriage in the winter. They said the hot water from the wash will accelerate the rust reaction.
Yep, we all know from experience that we need CaCl2 when the temps drop below a certain temp to clear sidewalks....so nothing worse than warm, moisture and salt on our cars...

Back