Skid plate charge: $6 at Pronto

If I'm not mistaken the new Hondas have a sheet metal material "splash shield" that attaches to plastic using 2 different types of screws.. many come in our shop held on by zip ties and self tapping screws already with low miles.
What Honda is it? :unsure:

I haven't had this problem in Hondas I've changed the oil on.

Properly-engineered skid plates have access panels so you don't have to remove them when doing basic maintenance like oil changes.

Wimps and especially if the so called skid plate is plastic resin. So with the $6 charge do you get all your fasteners back?

This is just plain nickel and diming.

I tend to agree with this, it is additional work but it is part of an oil change. This is when I'd be annoyed and petty if they didn't put all the little plastic fasteners back.

What Honda is it? :unsure:

I haven't had this problem in Hondas I've changed the oil on.

Properly-engineered skid plates have access panels so you don't have to remove them when doing basic maintenance like oil changes.
I was thinking this, too. The "right" way is a window or access panel in the skid. But not all are designed this way

It's a Fit. This not a rant or complaint about an experience at a quick lube place.

I always do my own oil changes. I did not go to Pronto. The previous owner did. The paperwork is what I found in their stash of receipts. I was surprised to see that charge and since I never have my oil changed by anyone else, I was wondering if this was a common practise at quick lube places and so far it looks like only at Pronto.

I service three vehicles regularly - a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan, a 2009 Kia Sedona, and a 2009 Mazda5.

The splash guards on the Dodge and the Kia are partial, and don't have to be removed for an OC, coolant drain, or transmission drain-and-and fill.

The one on the Mazda does - it's attached with seven M6 bolts (10 mm socket). Removal and reinstallation take about 10 minutes in total. Six dollars extra would be cheap if I were paying someone to do the work.

I keep the bolts gooped up with anti-seize - it's very common for these to break on older vehicles here.

If it were my vehicle I'd quibble with them over the use of the term "skid plate" because it most likely isn't actually a skid plate.

My WRX has a skid plate but there's no need to touch it during an oil change.

$16 labor total seems reasonable. Call it a $3 filter and the $31 charge for oil seems marked up at least $6 when the place buys in bulk... so yeah, nickel and diming.

Look at it the other way around. If the standard fee covers removing a plate, someone is going to think they should get a discount if they don't have a plate to remove, or someone could think they should get a discount if their vehicle has permanently lubed ball joints and tie rod ends so they don't need the lube portion of an oil and lube.

Dang near everything has an undercover nowadays ... I think they should price their service reasonably and eschew the extraneous fees.

And id argue the "skid plate" if its not actually metal of some sort, plastic under tray does not = skid plate.

At that price they are not making much money if any at all. The fee could include a lot of things like oil over a certain amount. Five quarts is pretty standard nowadays so if your vehicle needs 8 quarts then that could be extra.

$28 for a oil change is usually a loss leader operation. Most dealerships charge $100 plus now.
I see at least $23 after COGS, assuming a "tech" can do 3 of these per hour (easily) you have a fairly profitable business IF you can generate decent volume.

They should also charge for lug nut removal, when buying tires. Re-installation fee should also be charged. Air should be charged for by the pound. In new Jersey we pay to have someone pump our gas. There's no choice in the matter, it's a law. Roads that have been in exsistance for over 50 years, still charge a fee to drive over them. Once a charge is created, it will never go away.,,,
stop giving them ideas

I like it. The over all cost you paid is still extremely good. Likely got tired of getting blamed for skid plate concerns

Probably goes into a pot to pay for all the ones they get claimed were missing or damaged.

Back