Skid plate charge: $6 at Pronto

I was going over the paperwork for my "new" Honda and found a receipt (2020) from Pronto where they charged $6 for presumably the extra labor to remove the skid plate to do the oil change. It's just a flimsy thing held on by 6 screws with about the footprint of a microwave oven. Has anyone ever heard of such an outrageous charge?

IMG_20230813_074451012.jpg

Everything I own (except the Packard) has a skid plate. That’s true for every car these days…

So, yeah, that “work” should be included.

Do you work for free? They don't and shouldn't. They are a "for profit" business and It still is extra work compared to a vehicle without one so they charge extra. They are using the term "skid plate" to mean anything extra that needs to be removed to do an oil change i.e. actual metal skid plate, plastic sound guard, etc. Some are quick to take off and others are a pain so a basic fee makes sense. Relax, if you don't want to pay it, do it yourself next time. I personally don't see a problem with the extra charge. In today's world, $52.84 is a cheap oil change.

Just my opinion,

Dave

Do you work for free? They don't and shouldn't. They are a "for profit" business and It still is extra work compared to a vehicle without one so they charge extra. They are using the term "skid plate" to mean anything extra that needs to be removed to do an oil change i.e. actual metal skid plate, plastic sound guard, etc. Some are quick to take off and others are a pain so a basic fee makes sense. Relax, if you don't want to pay it, do it yourself next time. I personally don't see a problem with the extra charge. In today's world, $52.84 is a cheap oil change.

Just my opinion,

Dave
Hey! I do my own oil changes, YOU relax and read the original post. I wanted to know if this was a common practise - not a debate about profits or skid plate definitions and whether or not I should DIY.

Just my opinion,

Dave
Engineering has consequences. Modern techs deal with bad engineering every day, why should they have to for free.

Hey! I do my own oil changes, YOU relax and read the original post. I wanted to know if this was a common practise - not a debate about profits or skid plate definitions and whether or not I should DIY.
i did read your post. You did not ask if it was a common practice. You asked if anyone had seen it such an outrageous charge. I guess I don’t see it as outrageous and only attempted to explain why. I meant no offense, all I did was answer your question. No need to shout at me. All I meant with the “relax” comment was it’s only six bucks and you never paid it. The previous owner did.

Dave

I never heard of that before. It's kind of like charging for every little item. Better off doing it yourself however the $52 total bill isn't too bad but more than I would like to pay. The labor is itemized at $10.50 which is very reasonable. I really get irritated if the original fasteners or screws are replace with a bolt or something. Another pet peeve is if they tighten them so much I need a vise grip to remove them. That's why I change my own oil.

I was expecting a thread about a motorcycle. Either way, $16.50 labor is quite reasonable for an oil change and that's what it boils down to. If I had a friend/neighbor/cousin who changed my oil for me I'd hand them at least a $20 afterward so you SAVED $3.50 on the job.

Frankly I find both our skid plates a slow down to a nice OC. A pain, not a REAL pain but still takes time. That WRX plate was a real pain.

The Tacoma, the techs at the dealer stripped the threads on one hole and added two no matching fasteners.

So yeah, $6 is NOTHING if they do it right. They should just jack the price overall OR give a discount if you don't have a plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Honda is it? :unsure:

I haven't had this problem in Hondas I've changed the oil on.

Properly-engineered skid plates have access panels so you don't have to remove them when doing basic maintenance like oil changes.

Even new car dealers screw it up. Once I took my M35 to a Nissan dealer in Ocala FL for a simple oil and filter change. I figured the M35 and Maxima have the same splash shields, so no big deal. The next time I did the OC myself I quickly saw that the dealer only replaced half (about 8) of the 10 mm splash shield screws. So even dealerships mess this up on their own engines.

Another point is that most newer vehicles these days have splash shields. The OC shops should roll in the price if needed instead of making a separate charge.

Prompto is a local chain that advertises changes at "$27.95 plus fee." (assuming bulk 5w30.) I've wondered for years what that fee was, exactly. Now I know!

They should also charge for lug nut removal, when buying tires. Re-installation fee should also be charged. Air should be charged for by the pound. In new Jersey we pay to have someone pump our gas. There's no choice in the matter, it's a law. Roads that have been in exsistance for over 50 years, still charge a fee to drive over them. Once a charge is created, it will never go away.,,,

Prompto is a local chain that advertises changes at "$27.95 plus fee." (assuming bulk 5w30.) I've wondered for years what that fee was, exactly. Now I know!

At that price they are not making much money if any at all. The fee could include a lot of things like oil over a certain amount. Five quarts is pretty standard nowadays so if your vehicle needs 8 quarts then that could be extra.

$28 for a oil change is usually a loss leader operation. Most dealerships charge $100 plus now.

Back