should I relocate to Arizona area IT job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Delta
Mr Nice said:
Here in PA I just renewed my registration for 2 years at $72.
laugh.gif

Yes, I like that, but they do also hit you up for a privatized inspection EVERY SINGLE year (unlike Joyzee where it is every TWO years, and NO charge for inspections), where the shops do the absolute MOST corrupt job they possibly can to try and find any minuscule little thing wrong to wring those labor fees out of you in order to pass on the spot.
frown.gif

I also HATE that some shops will not even allow you to drive along with the 'tech' when he 'test drives' (more like JOY rides for many of the heavily sleeve inked knuckle draggers) YOUR car alone, with NO supervision/controls whatsoever.
mad.gif

Before my thread gets hijacked and sidetracked, in 24 hours time, we have over 500 viewes and dozens of replies.

So many people posted so quickly from this area that it makes you wonder if it is close knit. Hrmmm (pfh)

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
So many people posted so quickly from this area that it makes you wonder if it is close knit. Hrmmm (pfh)

Please elaborate on this post, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Everything pretty much comes down to the pay offered.

I was offered a job in Boston that paid 30% more than what I was making in Florida. I politely declined the job offer from my previous boss. Not worth the headaches of moving to another state.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Everything pretty much comes down to the pay offered.

I was offered a job in Boston that paid 30% more than what I was making in Florida. I politely declined the job offer from my previous boss. Not worth the headaches of moving to another state.

Your cost of living around Boston would likely be much higher than around Orlando, so you might not have gotten ahead much in real terms even with the big pay raise!
We were just in the Orlando area to watch my daughter's college team and that made me realize you probably were looking at a lateral move as far as traffic goes! And this was not even a super busy time for Orlando...

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

Which is why you should thank them for taking the time to advice you. (insert big thumb-up)

That advice with learning a bit more for better pay still stand true...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
West Phoenix isn't so nice. I live in the East valley in Mesa (they're all connected) and it's a lot nicer out here. Same with Chandler, Gilbert, and Tempe. Scottsdale is pricy and so is Paradise Valley.

Nick, I'm not sure how to feel about this comment. I live in the West Valley (Buckeye), and my parents are in Goodyear. I'll agree that SOME parts of the West valley are definitely cr*pholes, but much of it is quite nice.

I'll agree that tech jobs are sparse in the west valley, which is one reason I am forced to make my 110 mile commute, but otherwise, I think the West valley gets a bad rap.

Our summers are brutal, 110+ degrees regularly. We get over 100 days a year over 100 degrees.

I baked cookies in the car a couple years ago. Here's that thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4128925/1

Now THIS I agree with. When I had a black car, many years ago, I actually cooked an egg on the hood in late July.

That is a big risk.

Moving to an unfamiliar area in hopes that a job you accept will work out well (what if it turns out to be a terrible environment?).

I know people that have done it and loved it, and others where it became a nightmare.

Arizona is beautiful (my aunt and uncle live in Scottsdale,and my friend Veronica lives in Phoenix),but I'd never relocate anywhere for a call center job. Those are everywhere for a dime a dozen.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Arizona is beautiful (my aunt and uncle live in Scottsdale,and my friend Veronica lives in Phoenix),but I'd never relocate anywhere for a call center job. Those are everywhere for a dime a dozen.

+1

Just curious, what IT skills do you have and what would the AZ job be willing to pay you? Around here a lot of technology call center jobs for level 1 support (except for a managed services type environment) max out at $15/hr.

When I started with the insurance company doing claims I started at $20 an hour and all I needed was a degree and some problem solving skills.

Two days late.

For "call center" type jobs, Phoenix is a mecca. My wife runs a center and a lot of people go there (partly to escape IL too) because of the number of those types of jobs there.

As others have said, it's huge.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Two days late.

For "call center" type jobs, Phoenix is a mecca. My wife runs a center and a lot of people go there (partly to escape IL too) because of the number of those types of jobs there.

As others have said, it's huge.

OP of this thread here, I didn't think anyone was even paying attention to what I was asking. not even a week and almost 1000 views and unlimited posts. lots of people from arizona on this board, for one, very interesting from that standpoint. this could be a good thing? Keep in mind, I'm prbably in numbhaven, south texas on this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Is there a path of career movement at this job prospect with your education level? If no don't move.

I agree if no career path, stay where you are and focus on your education and skill set.

Jeepman,
I'm also interested in the starting pay for this IT job.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
West Phoenix isn't so nice. I live in the East valley in Mesa (they're all connected) and it's a lot nicer out here. Same with Chandler, Gilbert, and Tempe. Scottsdale is pricy and so is Paradise Valley.

Nick, I'm not sure how to feel about this comment. I live in the West Valley (Buckeye), and my parents are in Goodyear. I'll agree that SOME parts of the West valley are definitely cr*pholes, but much of it is quite nice.

I'll agree that tech jobs are sparse in the west valley, which is one reason I am forced to make my 110 mile commute, but otherwise, I think the West valley gets a bad rap.

What I consider “West Valley” is from the 17 to the 101, and from South Mountain to the 101. I grew up at 67th Ave & Van Buren

West of the 101 isn’t too bad, Buckeye is a whole other town LOL that’s like driving to East LA as far as distance.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Is there a path of career movement at this job prospect with your education level? If no don't move.

I need a spot to stay for free, this would make it a proper challenge. The job pays little past entry-level so no help there. It is 18 bones per hora.

Here is the link to the ad. The girl smiling on the top right gave me some solace that it might not be 'not bad'.

http://www.srpnet.com/jobs/csr.aspx?cmpid=fp-srp-671-ACW-B-CO-xxxx-xxxxx-30518-FACEB-A-E

Can anyone let me know if they hear of a job that is in IT, usually a roll-out or migration of some sort, where relocation or expenses can be compensated for in the package?

Last edited:
Try finding a job at a university hospital, pay is better and you'll have great benefits.

I have a friend working there and says it's easy to get your foot in the door and starting over $20 an hour.

https://careers.shands.ufl.edu/psc/ufhealth/JOBS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?FOCUS=Applicant&FolderPath=PORTAL_ROOT_OBJECT.HC_HRS_CE_GBL2&IsFolder=false&IgnoreParamTempl=FolderPath%2cIsFolder&

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back