Should Govt. CAFE Standards Be Rolled Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, the auto makers are already working on solutions for 2025.
Like it or not, there are BIG changes coming. Stuff you cant phantom.
Just because there is a new sheriff in town, it doesn't mean he/she will appoint a lieutenant that will roll things back.
The auto makers are heavily invested in 2025 and wouldn't be too happy if they were told all the money they've been pouring
into research can be thrown out the window or held off for years.

I don't like the 2025 requirement myself.
I started a surprise thread of GM saying they wanna see a standard high octane gasoline.
There are a few other things I know which isn't circulating on the internet yet that I'll
say when it's safe to do so.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Gov't ANYTHING should be rolled back. Or 75% of it anyway. Let free enterprise figure out the proper cost/benefit.

We need 75% more pollution in the air and water?

C’mon man you know that’s not what I’m saying. LOL. There is a huge population that wants as much fuel economy as they can get, as there is for an alternative fuel/hybrid car, for a whole variety of reasons that have nothing to do with “because the gov’t told me to”. The free market will cater to that market segment, and do it far more efficiently and effectively than gov’t. That’s a win for everyone.

And this is coming from a guy that drove a Prius for 10 years, I’m pretty sure it’s not because I’d love to have more pollution, and I’m 100% sure it wasn’t because of any gov’t regulation. And I’m one gazillion % sure it wasn’t cuz it helped me pick up chicks.

I'm a big believer in a laissez faire economics. But that doesn't mean that almost everything the government does is bad.

Gov't ANYTHING should be rolled back. Or 75% of it anyway. Let free enterprise figure out the proper cost/benefit.

x100000000

Raw markets do not deliver what we need. Raw markets deliver what they make easiest.

Wrapping yourself in the flag and crying "free market" is proven to be shallow economy.

People aren't shallow things.

I'm conflicted on this one. Clearly, non hybrid gasoline cars will not be able to meet such strict guidelines and still be viable family sized vehicles. There just is not enough energy in a gallon of gas, when converted at less than 40% efficiency. However, today's hybrids are quite impressive and will meet upcoming regulations while performing very well. The cost difference often does not cover the fuel savings. Leading to additional consumer expense.

Vehicles are already stupidly expensive. Pushing that upwards is not necessarily a good thing.

The good news is that electric cars perform remarkably well and are an absolute pleasure to drive.

The military itself is working hard to reduce consumption. Running supply lines is dangerous and expensive and inefficient vehicles don’t get as far or fast in initial attack due to outrunning supply.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Need to read up on the tragedy of the commons.
We need CAFE more than ever after two tragic hurricanes and with CA burning like crazy.

I don't see the connection or alternate story is "CAFE is successful, no need to tighten regs any further"

Hurricanes are down in frequency and severity.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/12/09/s...cane-landfalls/

Keep building homes in arid locations that get rain 3 months of the year - WCGW???
http://cliffmass.blogspot.ca/2017/12/are-california-coastal-wildfires.html

Increased populations and much higher real estate prices do contribute to much higher losses, which are splashed on the news, they need eyeballs after all.

The way we drive in the US has made me wonder why most consumer vehicles arent diesel. I know it's more expensive, but the idea is that it should have been diesel from the get go.

More torque at lower rpm, more mileage per gallon, what's not to love?

It's so sad to see science so politicized to the point where it feels like the late 1600s, which is just about where the current administration's understanding of science is.

Time was when we did the right thing, not follow party. Nixon created the EPA. W dramatically toughened diesel standards.

It's not republican versus democrat. It's Right Thing versus Wrong Thing.

I think pressure on automakers is a good thing to keep progress and innovation going but I wonder about changing gears for a bit. Look at increasing fuel mileage but decreasing the emissions regulations. Example would be diesel engines. Removing the costly egr, DPF and SCR systems. Yes, tailpipe emissions could go up but we will gain back a lot through greater fuel mileage, longer OCI, less GHG/waste created in the manufacture and distribution of the emissions components and DEF.

I have a grandson. He's nearly two and in my eyes, he's just about as perfect as he could possibly be!

However, to the nut-jobs that bang on about how great market forces are, like it's some infallible religious doctrine, my grandson's future has zero value! And that's self-evidently wrong! He deserves exactly the same chance that all of us old-uns had and he shouldn't be condemned to inherit from this generation, a polluted, resource depleted world, ravaged by climate change.

Which is why governments everywhere need to keep applying pressure to the market to drive them in directions that makes sense for the long-term; not just the next five minutes to satisfy the every whim of a greedy, self-centred, 'live for today and bugger tomorrow' few.

Governments are applying the same pressure as a nervous first time buyer in a sleazy car showroom.

The very things "saving" our environment in the ways we account for are killing our environment in the ways we don't.

Keep strip mining all of those rare minerals. Keep using those ultra horrible chemicals to produce this "green" technology. Keep making turning stable land into Earthquake territory by injecting it with toxic water. Keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, because Paul is being watched and Peter is being ignored.

Keep believing that as we shift from one dependency to another, that our new masters are going to play nice.

It's all a shell game, but Americans just LOVE a good scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back