Shocks for my Ram 2500

JHZR2

Staff member
My 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 was used to haul some decent loads. It has a custom welded aluminum bed, a flip-up fifth wheel trailer ball, air lift helper air bags, and shocks with helper springs.

I don’t know what brand, or what ratings the shocks are, I just know that they’re leaking. And they’re pretty harsh.

When driving with 2000-3000 lbs of building materials in it, it rides fine. It does get a bit out of control in the rear when unloaded, but that’s to be expected, especially since I have the air bags with 25-30 psi.

In the end all the shocks are worn, so I need to replace all four.

The best pic of the shocks is a zoom from another photo.

6C7FCA4B-AC45-4323-9B4F-474359869068.jpeg

Top right corner FWIW.

So, what’s anyone’s recommendations for shocks? Don’t know that I’ll put 100k on this truck, so I don’t know that I want/need high end Bilsteins. But I also don’t want overseas trash.

I’m also not sure I need the helper shocks. I’m sure my bed is heavier than OE, but the truck was rated for a payload of 4040 pounds, so with a few thousand pounds in the back, I suspect all is well. And, that any replacement shocks without helper springs may better dampen the rear, and should be suited for that payload (assuming I select the ones for the truck with 8800lb gvwr, which of course I will).

1A4CC8AF-1554-4FF2-B4C9-F5D84A9E2DAD.jpeg
Rockauto has Gabriel for $9 and then goes up from there. What’s a decent US made shock that I should install all around? And do I need to keep with the helper lper spring shocks?

I have gabriel ultras on my avalanche. They ride a bit stiff, but with the WD hitch and the TT connected they are about right. My rear ones are about worn out, as i am towing a bit heavy with this truck.

I know they also make a max control, which has a larger piston, but i've never used them. i might put a pair on the rear of mine soon.

If you are carrying loads, I’d say Gabriel ultra would be my absolute first pick. ive had two trucks with bilsteins and they are soft with a load, note the 4600 and 5100 are very similarly valved. they are great when the bed has up to about 600 lbs in my f150, and a wet noodle with the camper attached. I like Monroe reflex shocks on trucks and vans, if you can still find them, but I’m not sure you’ll find them for this vehicle. Gabriel ultras have gotten excellent feedback here for commercial and business vehicles.
m

My S-10 came OE with yellow Bikstein shocks as part of the ZR2 package. Still good and I’ll replace them with the same. All my MB cars have ilsteins...

For this truck, I’m less inclined to spend Bilstein money. A set of Gabriel ultras are around $115 shipped, with tax, while Bilstens are around $80 each Before shipping and tax.

What am I giving up with the Gabriel Ultras (mentioned in this thread and I’ve seen them talked about well elsewhere on here) vs the Bilsteins? Longevity?

My S-10 came OE with yellow Bikstein shocks as part of the ZR2 package. Still good and I’ll replace them with the same. All my MB cars have ilsteins...

For this truck, I’m less inclined to spend Bilstein money. A set of Gabriel ultras are around $115 shipped, with tax, while Bilstens are around $80 each Before shipping and tax.

What am I giving up with the Gabriel Ultras (mentioned in this thread and I’ve seen them talked about well elsewhere on here) vs the Bilsteins? Longevity?

What are you giving up? In my experience, unloaded ride quality.

My avalanche came with holsteins. They ride better than the ultras when the truck was not towing.

The Bilstein 4600 are a mono tube the Ultra are twin tube, there are many articles about the pro and con of each. The mono tube are better suited to the heavier vehicles like your truck, the ride will be smoother, more compliant and more controlled than a twin tube. Yes they will last longer.

And another vote for Bilstein 4600 series... I love them on my truck.

85,000 Alaskan road miles and going strong!

For your truck:

Last edited:
You might not want to fork over the $$ for Bilstein's but you won't regret it. Once I get the axle for the Dakota I'm putting on a pair of Bilsteins. I may never put another 50k on it.

removed junk oes on my almost new at the time 08 colorado for the mid priced bilsteins + they were GREAT!!

My '96 2500 had air bags and Rancho RS7000 adjustable shocks on the rear. Dialed the shocks up when I towed the toy hauler, down when empty. I was happy with the setup.

My '16 2500 has Bilstein 4600s on all four corners. These work well, but I don't have the toy hauler anymore. Just a 6k lb boat.

Back