shifted into reverse accidentally driving automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this in my Cavalier around 55mph. It stalled the car. That trans is still original and over 300k on it. Didn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by emg
In drive in most (all?) modern vehicles, the engine is burning no fuel if your foot's off the gas.
Sounds like you're confusing hybrid vehicles with non-hybrids. An automobile engine requires fuel to run, even at idle.

At idle, yes, but during engine over-run, not always--many times it will cut fueling as you coast along, until engine rpm drops below a certain threshold. Then it will start fueling again. I suspect every maker does it differently, so one really would have to hook up an instantaneous mpg gauge to see what is going on for the vehicle under question.

my son has a civic 6spd. The injectors make a lot of noise. Even in neutral, if you rev the engine, once the foot's off the brakes the injectors hush until it hits idle speed and they start chattering again. Does it when warm, consistently. Impressive de-fueling strategy.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I did this in my Cavalier around 55mph. It stalled the car. That trans is still original and over 300k on it. Didn't hurt anything.

That seems to be a problem with Cavaliers. You just can't kill them, even if you try, so you end up stuck with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back