shifted into reverse accidentally driving automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota rav4 2003 automatic. U241E transmission.

We have a lot of hills here I sometimes put the car into neutral.

Accidentally I moved it passed neutral into Reverse for a split second and felt a slight jolt.

Transmission shifts fine as before, no changes

any possible damage though for this transmission?

Thanks

I can't believe it even let you shift to R. How fast were you going?

Every AT shifter I've used has required the button to be depressed to shift into Reverse; no button depress required between D and N.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I can't believe it even let you shift to R. How fast were you going?

Every AT shifter I've used has required the button to be depressed to shift into Reverse; no button depress required between D and N.

I was going about 50 miles/hour.

I was surprised it let me shift into R as well.

the shifter is very sensitive the slight movement forward took it to R.

update: yes I accidentally pressed the button while shifting. the button is very sensitive in this case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
You put the car into neutral while going down a hill, is that right?
Stop doing that. There is no good reason to do that.

Normally I don't. it was a one-off tbh.

I shifted a high mileage 02 Envoy into R at about 70. Made a terrible noise, illuminated the check engine light, and set a "throttle body performance" code. Otherwise it was unharmed. I'm surprised it actually let me, though - I figured it simply wouldn't do it.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
You put the car into neutral while going down a hill, is that right?
Stop doing that. There is no good reason to do that.

+1 I doubt any damage was done. Back in the day I had thrown a few vehicles with an automatic transmission into reverse doing 60 mph or more intentionally. Conditions were safe, and I was a curious. They'd stall. Pop it into N and rev the engine, one drive tire would spin in reverse slowing the car to a stop and then back up. The transmissions still worked, although I have no long term experience, the cars were scrapped. I don't think today's automatic transmissions would allow it.

There is no reason to put the transmission in neutral going downhill, absolutely none. It's sounds like you got lucky. It's a bad habit that should be stopped like using both feet for throttle and brake.

Upon some further research, would the transmission control unit not detect this change at that speed keep it at neutral?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tookien
Upon some further research, would the transmission control unit not detect this change at that speed keep it at neutral?

On a lot of units....Reverse actuation is 100% Hydraulic, No electronics involved.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

On a lot of units....Reverse actuation is 100% Hydraulic, No electronics involved.

doing some research it seems they added Reverse inhibit to transmissions in mid-90's and up which is electronically controlled.

A lot of cars actually lock out reverse while the car is moving
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger

doing some research it seems they added Reverse inhibit to transmissions in mid-90's and up which is electronically controlled.

Who's "They"?

Originally Posted by spk2000
It is called hyper-miling trying to get super duper fuel economy which is not always the safest thing to do.

How would that work? In neutral, the car is burning gas to keep the engine idling. In drive in most (all?) modern vehicles, the engine is burning no fuel if your foot's off the gas.

Its happened a few times here and there. Sometimes I had got a bit shifter happy but most newer autos have a lockout for this.

As a teen I was cruising with my friends in a 75 Olds. Someone bumped the console shifter to neutral and I assumed it was dropped down a gear. I clicked it up a gear and locked the rear wheels as we skidded to a stop on the highway. My buddy yelled at me, I told him to F'in settle and we continued on.

Originally Posted by emg
Originally Posted by spk2000
It is called hyper-miling trying to get super duper fuel economy which is not always the safest thing to do.

How would that work? In neutral, the car is burning gas to keep the engine idling. In drive in most (all?) modern vehicles, the engine is burning no fuel if your foot's off the gas.

Agreed, people that think they are saving gas by doing this are misinformed. I log all my vehicles while driving they will shut down fuel while coasting when speed and vacuum is high enough or whatever other criteria is programmed into the PCM.

Originally Posted by Linctex
absolutely nothing

That's a much more modern car. I'm positive that on that Fusion (and similar models) that the car electronically overrides the gear change into reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back