Shell Gas Truck oil...Im giving it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
My view is that it makes sense from Shell's distribution perspective. RGT means there's a dexos1 type lube with a familiar name for people buying from distributors and/or accustomed to the Shell or ROTELLA names. In Canada, to make matters worse, Pennzoil and Quaker State cannot be sold at all Shell distributors, only full line Shell distributors. So, here in Regina, if I wanted to pick up some HDEO and a dexos1 from the distributor here, I'd be getting RGT because that's all they sell formally dexos1 approved. Before, I'd have had to pick up the Pennzoil or QS options elsewhere, or simply use technically non-approved Formula Shell synthetic.

That's a good point.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by PimTac
TBN is not linear.

Nor does a TBN value speak to retention..as I said in another thread recently, TBN isn't everything.

This 👇from SAE website..

"Historically, the characterization of fresh and used diesel engine lubricants has been based on a limited number of analytical techniques. One of the most important analyses has always been the total base number (TBN) measurement. Although the TBN measurements are informative, easy, and quick, it can be misleading to base the judgment of an oil's performance solely on one criterion.
This paper offers observations from a field test, showing that some detergent approaches gave unacceptable performance even though the TBNs were at an acceptable level. It is hypothesized that some detergents do not effectively neutralize all acidic species present in the lubricant, thereby reserving their own base while in fact the oil may no longer provide sufficient protection against bearing corrosion. This hypothesis is supported with bench and engine test data. It is recommended that, at a minimum, total acid number (TAN) measurements be included in any analysis. Where time and cost allow, wear metals content, oxidation, soot content, and viscosity should also be evaluated."

SAE - TBN

So don't chase tbn, don't chase noack. Waiting for someone to add another one to that list...

Originally Posted by 4WD
"They're not marketing gimmicks. I've seen oxidation tests of oils like Mobil 1 AP/EP vs the competition. With you, you're generally getting what you pay for. You're right about oils such as TSUV etc., although they do contain added AO's." (quote)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, I think both Shell and XOM have engaged in harmless marketing with the Truck/SUV lines - but there should be little doubt considering base stock and adds that M1 EP/AP are not the same formulations.

As for the worn out debate on warranty ? Consider the average age of cars on the road - do the math on short term warranties

I was thinking the other day after buying a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 that perhaps the EP may be better to think of in terms like Extra Protection or Extra PAO though I am sure Mobil would likely never market it in such a way. Going by Walmart prices the $3 difference between EP and AFE makes me always want to buy EP and not for the purposes of extending an OCI but rather because it is a superior product, in fact I would consider M1 EP 0W-20 to be the best oil on the market for the price.

That being said I am putting RGT 0W-20 in one of my Outbacks next oil change probably within the next few days. I have been seeing a lot of good feedback on this oil so I want to know what it will do in my Subaru.

I almost went with TSUV/RGT but opted for M1 EP 5w30. EP/AP have the high temp oxidation stability and long drain interval performance I want. The only advantage of RGT, in Shell's own words, are added AO's. EP/AP have that and then some...

Mobil has also tested the [censored] out of their oils and put up data/videos to back it up.

Originally Posted by buster
The only advantage of RGT, in Shell's own words, are added AO's.

Going back to what I was saying about Rotella offering one product that covers most of the bases that Mobil's eight different 0w20 products offer, that and the Dexos talk also makes me think about the fact that GM charges 6 cents per bottle for one to carry a Dexos label. It is smater, business wise, to do what Shell has done because it will ultimately save them money not only in production costs but also in licensing fees by not having a series of many near redundant products like Mobil has.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madeej11

SAE - TBN
So don't chase tbn, don't chase noack. Waiting for someone to add another one to that list...

The take away, for me at least, is that one criterion whether it be TBN or moly count or blah blah blah, can't provide the [full picture] of how a lubricant has/is going to perform. That requires a more holistic examination of the lubes constituents/physical properties of end product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back