Self-driving Uber car killed a pedestrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
She must've flunked the "Stop,look,and listen" class in kindergarten.

She made an error. Your girlfriend, wife, significant other whatever is attached to you could have also made similar error and splat. What a jerk of a comment a person has passed.

I think self driving cars and trucks are a terrible idea. The concept sounds great.... until people get killed.

Law firms are drooling at the thought of driverless vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I think self driving cars and trucks are a terrible idea. The concept sounds great.... until people get killed.

There's going to be trade offs. Would you prefer 100% reliability and continue to have about 40,000 people killed each year and some 4.6 million serious injuries or maybe have a small percentage of that? Delay it an extra 10 years and that's an extra 400,000 dead people. Even if it's only 90% better, that would be about 360,000 less dead people over that term. Sometimes good enough will save more lives that waiting for perfect.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Once they are further developed they probably will cut down on pedestrian deaths.

I wonder if most current pedestrian-vehicle accidents are actually the pedestrian's fault. Alternatively, we know drivers are texting while driving, drunk, distracted, high on weed, etc. too. If I had to guess, I'd say its a 50-50% split if you actually look at real accidents that have occurred in the last year or so.

For this case in this thread, the woman had a drug history. That can lead to impulsivity. I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that drugs affect the brain.
Yeah, a controversial statement for drug defenders who will say anything in defense of drug use. .....
Regardless of her past or if all the mug shots shown are made-up lies by the Daily Mail (I don't know), if she suddenly stepped her bike off the curb into the car's corner, then its not the self-driving car's fault.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver

She made an error. Your girlfriend, wife, significant other whatever is attached to you could have also made similar error and splat. What a jerk of a comment a person has passed.

So are you one of those dumb [censored] that walks across major roads without looking both ways first?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

So are you one of those dumb [censored] that walks across major roads without looking both ways first?

Did they teach ‘Willy Whistle’ classes in elementary school on how to cross the street ?

I know nothing about "Willie Whistle", but we were required to watch all sorts of Jiminy Cricket "I'm no Fool" 16mm films in the cafetorium particularly in 5th & 6th grades. I was one of the few kids allowed to set up & run the projectors.

I still doubt I' m going to live to be 103 though . . .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I know nothing about "Willie Whistle", but we were required to watch all sorts of Jiminy Cricket "I'm no Fool" 16mm films particularly in 5th & 6th grades. I was one of the few kids allowed to set up & run the projectors.

Why not shoot for 112?

According to the SS actuarial life table, you have about a 1% chance of making it to 100 let alone 103.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I know nothing about "Willie Whistle", but we were required to watch all sorts of Jiminy Cricket "I'm no Fool" 16mm films in the cafetorium particularly in 5th & 6th grades. I was one of the few kids allowed to set up & run the projectors.

Same here! I always loved working the projectors
laugh.gif
We has those huge blue metal reel to reel Bell and Howells.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

There's going to be trade offs. Would you prefer 100% reliability and continue to have about 40,000 people killed each year and some 4.6 million serious injuries or maybe have a small percentage of that? Delay it an extra 10 years and that's an extra 400,000 dead people. Even if it's only 90% better, that would be about 360,000 less dead people over that term. Sometimes good enough will save more lives that waiting for perfect.

If you're willing to make an absurd leap of logic then you can conclude that autonomous cars will eliminate 90% of the current road deaths and you then have a point. Elon Musk would certainly support your opinion.
I don't think there are too many people who are willing to do that. I'm not.
The event depicted in this thread certainly brings your claim into question given the miniscule numbers of autonomous vehicles now in test on the public roads, as does Toyota's withdrawal from its autonomous car road test program.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

If you're willing to make an absurd leap of logic then you can conclude that autonomous cars will eliminate 90% of the current road deaths and you then have a point. Elon Musk would certainly support your opinion.
I don't think there are too many people who are willing to do that. I'm not.
The event depicted in this thread certainly brings your claim into question given the miniscule numbers of autonomous vehicles now in test on the public roads, as does Toyota's withdrawal from its autonomous car road test program.

Well it's hard to find hard numbers but so far Uber has about 3 million miles in testing and the driver death rate so far is 0. However the average death rate is about 1 per million miles with human drivers. A certain number of pedestrian are also killed each year and some of them are unavoidable. The injury rate might be more telling, normally it's in the 70's per million miles traveled, I believe most accidents so far have been fender benders where it was the other party's fault. It's estimated that about 94% of crashes are due to human error.

I'm not sure what you're not willing to do. Drive in one or have them on the roads? They're already on the roads. Look at Tesla.

Tesla is likely in the lead in autopilot miles with over 5 Billion auto miles as of last july, and something like 1.3 B autopilot miles two years ago.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Tesla is likely in the lead in autopilot miles with over 5 Billion auto miles as of last july, and something like 1.3 B autopilot miles two years ago.

UD

How much of those miles were city driving.... not highway miles ?

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
UD

How much of those miles were city driving.... not highway miles ?

Nearly impossible to get that data from them, but also likely more city and highway than the other guys.

UD

Dashcam footage has been released. Looks like the driver was texting most of the time. However, I don't think the accident was avoidable. If I were driving my car and the lady ran a cross the street in a shadow, I probably wouldn't have been able to avoid the accident either. Shame on the driver though. She should be fired.

Don't self driving cars have sensors that can basically see at night?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Dashcam footage has been released. Looks like the driver was texting most of the time. However, I don't think the accident was avoidable. If I were driving my car and the lady ran a cross the street in a shadow, I probably wouldn't have been able to avoid the accident either. Shame on the driver though. She should be fired.

I'm almost positive that a driver who was actively watching the road, aka driving the car, would see her. You have to remember that a video camera will never show the same amount of detail at night as a human eye would. The street looks well lit with street lamps. It appears that neither the driver nor the autopilot attempted to slow down, The driver never reacted for obvious reasons, being glued to the phone, but the autopilot should've reacted.
This makes it obvious that whatever sensors/radar/camera arrangement/computing power they use, is not enough. And the conditions were not even remotely bad from the visibility point of view.

Last edited:
Bicycles should have reflectors on the wheels, but the reflection doesn't show up on the video. Were there reflectors?

There's another video of a car hitting a ped under a similar situation, except that car was driven by a human. Happened 1-2 years ago. The ped crossed an unlit street without looking, and with a car approaching. The car obviously didn't see him. Dead.

People who arrogantly cross the street without looking are living on borrowed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back