Seafoam in transmission??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guy in another forum was thinking about putting Seafoam in his Acura Auto transmission. I said I had never heard of anyone doing such a thing. Just want to know what people think could happen if he does this??

I've recommended Auto-Rx and Lube Control, but he seems **** bent on trying Seafoam.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
There is a SeaFoam ATF additive. Maybe he is confused...

He's not using the additive. I guess he had some leftover Seafoam that he had used on his engine and wants to use it on his AT.

oh boy, don't know about that. That stuff is basically a solvent. Works well running it through the intakes but gets burned off. I surely wouldn't put that stuff in my transmissions.

Considering how emphatic Honda is about using their fluid for the transmission, as well as everything else, I don't see why he would even consider it. Everyone I've ever heard says don't use anything but the proper fluid. If he does this, he'll be on his own when he starts having problems (notice "when", not "if").

Seafoam makes a product called TransTune for automatic transmissions. I don't know how good it works though.

Trans Tune and Seafoam are the exact same thing in different bottles. The Seafoam people have even told me that in an email. I love this stuff in engines, but I would never use it in a transmission...

I have used it in transmissions. It must clean things, because there becomes a lot of black sooty material on the dipstick after putting it in. I haven't had any failures, but try to change the filter and flush it out after using it. After reading on here, I haven't used it in a transmission application.

I think you are only supposed to add it before you change your tranny fluid, I don't know if it is meant to stay in.

I'd only use it as a quick flush prior to an ATF fluid/filter change.
But, I also think that there are better ways to keep the transmission clean(like more frequent ATF change intervals, synthetic fluids, lubegard, autorx, smartblend...) since I'd personally like avoiding flush chemicals in the transmission.

Seafoam is one of my favorite FI and topend cleaners. I love tapping a vacuum point and feeding the engine seafoam. My neighbors hate me but mosquitos seem to disappear in the massive cloud of seafoam smoke. The smokeless method is tossing a bottle into a full tank of gas!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/transTuneTech.htm

I would not use any type of quick flush in a transmission, considering the damage that a stray peice of contamination can wreak on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back