Scuff on outer tire is it usable?

If it’s only on 1 side, could it be due to under inflated driving?

It is totally from being driven on grossly under inflated.
That sidewall could be severely compromised.

Not something that should be on the road.

I was going to say, really strange, but maybe I'd rock it anyhow... then I read that these are used wheels. That came with rubber. Reason enough for me to pay someone to dismount and inspect. It's what, $25 for peace of mind here? No one knows how the wear occurred.

While I'd expect both sidewalls to be damaged from being run low, being used tires who knows what the PO had them on. Hit something and really bent up the suspension, and got a low tire at the same time? Again, vastly cheaper to have it pulled and inspected... than the alternative.

Am guessing it's from rubbing a curb of some sort (low one?) but why chance it. Think of it as an opportunity to have them rebalanced before using them on a car, only to find that they need to be balanced anyhow.

An alternate possibility. My wife's Accent gets driven the same path to her work and back every day. Her right front tire (only one on the car affected) is worn on the outer right shoulder. All suspension checks done, everything is tight and right. Rode to the dump with her one day, and it was closed. She took the gravel turn-around (a left hand turn) like she was driving a rally. Then it hit me. The path she drives to work and back is all left hand turns, and she drives a little aggressive. She's always diving onto that outside edge of that pass front tire. Thus the extra wear on that side.

My point is that if this tire was a little low (not flat), and someone turned aggressively where that tire would roll over a bit (maybe an emergency maneuver), it could have worn the sidewall on just the one side, then stood back up and been okay.

Just a thought. Feel free to correct my line of thought. Lol.

An alternate possibility. My wife's Accent gets driven the same path to her work and back every day. Her right front tire (only one on the car affected) is worn on the outer right shoulder. All suspension checks done, everything is tight and right. Rode to the dump with her one day, and it was closed. She took the gravel turn-around (a left hand turn) like she was driving a rally. Then it hit me. The path she drives to work and back is all left hand turns, and she drives a little aggressive. She's always diving onto that outside edge of that pass front tire. Thus the extra wear on that side.

My point is that if this tire was a little low (not flat), and someone turned aggressively where that tire would roll over a bit (maybe an emergency maneuver), it could have worn the sidewall on just the one side, then stood back up and been okay.

Just a thought. Feel free to correct my line of thought. Lol.
How does she get home? Wouldn't be all right turns and opposite wheel doing the same?

Back