Scotty Kilmer Bio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact

I've had the ti for almost 24 years, the Wrangler for 17.

And they're toys or at some point became toys right? I recently realized I've owned the Samurai for 17 years. It's been a hobby/toy from day one although it was my DD for a year when we moved to Az..

Originally Posted by AZjeff
People have different ideas about what is enjoyable about cars. For some they're a necessary expensive appliance and the less interaction and attention the better. Others enjoy the mechanics and driving dynamics as a hobby/lifestye as much as a transportation module.

I'll buy that as a pretty accurate assessment. When I was younger, like most guys, I was far more "into cars", so to speak. I didn't buy them often because I was cheap. But I took care of them as best I could, so they would last as long as possible.

When I did end up buying a new one, the thrill didn't last long. It soon reduced itself to a necessary evil I needed to get from point A to point B, nothing more. I did try entertaining myself with a Corvette once. That was a real mistake. It rode like crap, and the way you were seated in the older models, with your butt on the floor and your legs stretched straight out, killed my back. The only good thing was the fact it was the only car I ever made money on. I ended up selling it for more than I paid for it. Not much, but enough to make it painless.

I'm hoping these last 2 new vehicles I bought will outlast me. Now that I'm retired I don't drive much. They are both garage kept. And the weather out here couldn't be better for vehicle longevity.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

And they're toys or at some point became toys right? I recently realized I've owned the Samurai for 17 years. It's been a hobby/toy from day one although it was my DD for a year when we moved to Az..

I actually bought the Jeep to use as a parade car in what I thought would be my last political campaign; I fully intended to sell it after election day. However, my wife, son, and I wound up liking it so much we kept it and I sold the 1993 Pathfinder I was running as a DD. It's still a ball to drive, and I'm sure that your Samurai is at least as much fun.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Some people think Scotty is dumb or may not agree with him but check this out. Not sure if it's true but interesting.

Scotty Kilmer accumulated much of his wealth from YouTube advertising and affiliate marketing. His YouTube channel gets an average 1.1 million views per day, which should result in an estimated revenue of about $4,400 a day and about $1.6 million a year, all from the ads that appear on this videos. He also generates income from his Amazon affiliate commission income and sales of merchandise. His other income comes from his automobile repair business which has been in operation for over 50 years now. His estimated net worth is $7 million.

https://heightline.com/scotty-kilmer-bio-age-wife-net-worth/

I don't think he is dumb, I just don't trust him because his incentive is to make people watch him instead of providing info that's honest (not that he is dishonest, just his incentive is elsewhere).

The same goes for Jim Cramer, most financial analysts, and most politicians.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
It's just a persona that You tubers put on. He figured out I will be a common simple man thoughts to cars that appeals to a subset of our population.

If he's supposedly a millionaire, I wonder if his house and garage in the videos are not really his/main house. How could someone with that much money have to work on cars outside/uncovered, and have such a junky driveway and garage.

Originally Posted by BrianL
Originally Posted by madRiver
It's just a persona that You tubers put on. He figured out I will be a common simple man thoughts to cars that appeals to a subset of our population.

If he's supposedly a millionaire, I wonder if his house and garage in the videos are not really his/main house. How could someone with that much money have to work on cars outside/uncovered, and have such a junky driveway and garage.

If he is a wealthy as we believe why would he change what brought him to the dance?

Originally Posted by BrianL

Looks can be deceiving.

A friend of mine from way way back is a trust fund kid..he works as a physical therapist but he's got a multi million dollar family trust that he shares with 2 other siblings. (his father was a successful developer) You wouldn't know it by just looking at his home/car, he lives very modest considering the amount of money available to him. If I had to guess I'd say the fund is in the double digits in millions. I've spent time at one of the family properties on the Chesapeake... very very nice, several acres.

Last edited:
I find Scotty Kilmer's videos to exaggerate more than I like and I can't stand the delivery of them. That's my opinion, but apparently I'm not alone in it.

In all honesty, though, my favorite car repair channel is University Motors/John Twist. Granted it's very much a niche channel that mostly deals with old British stuff(and 90% or better of that is MG related) but the videos to me are just the right length and are informative. John IS opinionated, but also is incredibly intelligent and is happy to explain how he arrived at his opinion(whether over the phone or on message boards) as well as change it when he sees evidence to the contrary.

Since gun channels were brought up, Hickok45 is still my favorite. He can be a bit wordy, but there's a TON of information in his videos. He was a teacher-I think a history teacher if I'm not mistaken-and in fact back in my early days of watching his channel he was still active(he has since retired and presumably does Youtube full time). I usually see him at the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoots-he's about 6'6" so he stands out, but is incredibly approachable and down to earth.

Of course a lot of people are going to be upset with Scotty, the guy just doesn't hold back and says what he thinks. I'm OK with his kind of honesty, even if he wants to bad mouth my car, that's fine with me, since I don't mind hearing what could be improved on it.

I had a single youtube video that took off about 10 years ago. When it passed the 25k mark Google roped me into AdSense.

I thought, well that's cool, and did some other videos fixing stuff. Kept it under 5-6 minutes. I know how to edit. Got to the point. Got a few hundred click-throughs each.

Gave up. Google told me to up my viewership or pound sand. Account balance was $57. Google never paid me.

The "winning video" was my using the HF tire changer with it not bolted to the ground. It kept getting hits when random strangers would argue back and forth about why it did, or did not, need bolting down.

Scotty lives in hot Texas, and I'd work outside in the early morning or evening hours too, as the lighting suggests.

Originally Posted by AustinCooper
Of course a lot of people are going to be upset with Scotty, the guy just doesn't hold back and says what he thinks.

This is why I like him. We live in a cupcake society and if you don't agree with someone you instantly hate them. People are too thin skinned.

I've watched a lot of his videos and they can be entertaining, and at times informative, though I don't always agree with his "opinions". The pictures he posts as he's answering some questions are humorous at times. I'm a MOPAR guy, so if I was easily offended I sure wouldn't watch any of his videos. Lol

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Of course a lot of people are going to be upset with Scotty, the guy just doesn't hold back and says what he thinks.

This is why I like him. We live in a cupcake society and if you don't agree with someone you instantly hate them. People are too thin skinned.

Same here, he calls it like he sees it, and tells the whole truth and doesn't hold back at all. A real "old school" mentality and I love it because he makes sense and doesn't try and sugar coat it.

The folks that hate him the most are big automotive business and the repair industry, because he completely outs them to the general public. Keep up the good work Scotty!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Same here, he calls it like he sees it, and tells the whole truth and doesn't hold back at all. A real "old school" mentality and I love it because he makes sense and doesn't try and sugar coat it.

The folks that hate him the most are big automotive business and the repair industry, because he completely outs them to the general public. Keep up the good work Scotty!

Naw, I think the people that hate him are the ones who know that he doesn't know what he's talking about or he just passes off opinion as facts.

Originally Posted by billt460
He's a smart businessman. And he didn't get that way by being stupid. Much like Trump, people like to trash him because they disagree with him. But instead of providing intelligent rebuttals, they attack his bombastic personality. A lot of what he say's is simple common sense. I'm not saying the guy is right 100% of the time, no one is. But he's certainly no fool. I've gotten a lot of good information off many of his videos. I'm noticing in a lot of his more recent uploads, he has toned himself down quite a bit.

This. People are like bulls rushing at a cape while the fighter torments them with more barbs because they're dumb, it's funny, and tickets = sales = money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back