Scotty Kilmer Bio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy to say that Scotty has not made much off of me. I watched part of one video, once, where he recommended a compression fitting to repair a rusty brake line. Haven't watched a moment of him since. All those millions won't do him any good if someone dies and sues his [censored].

Originally Posted by billt460

Why is it necessary to experience expensive trouble to know it exists? You can ascertain much of this information by simply reading. Mercedes and BMW consistently come in ranked number 1 and 2 in the expense to own rankings. These people aren't making this stuff up to upset you.

https://clark.com/cars/most-and-least-expensive-cars-maintain-repair/

I'm not upset- primarily because I haven't experienced expensive trouble; my 3er track rat has cost me @$4,500 to run over the past 10 years- considerably more than my Wrangler. But what do I know, I've only owned 12 BMWs since 1983. As I've said, if someone thinks that the pinnacle of automotive excellence is a car that is cheap to maintain for 300,000 miles have at it. I just find it amusing that non-owners feel the urge to bleat about high repair costs- and I wonder why they seem compelled to do so.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I just find it amusing that non-owners feel the urge to bleat about high repair costs- and I wonder why they seem compelled to do so.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's because they enjoy driving cars that are both dependable, and don't cost an arm and a leg to own.

It's just a persona that You tubers put on. He figured out I will be a common simple man thoughts to cars that appeals to a subset of our population.

I just find it amusing that non-owners feel the urge to bleat about high repair costs- and I wonder why they seem compelled to do so.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's because they enjoy driving cars that are both dependable, and don't cost an arm and a leg to own.

My BMWs(and Mini) are dependable and aren't expensive to maintain- although I suspect your definition of enjoyment with respect to a car is poles apart from mine; but to each his own.

Typically people uneasy with themselves or choices need to self justify by commenting on others choices.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Typically people uneasy with themselves or choices need to self justify by commenting on others choices.

I think you nailed it. There are soul-slaughtering deadly dull vehicles that you'd have to force me at gunpoint to drive- much less own. Ditto for some cars that I wouldn't want the expense of maintaining. However, I have no desire to post in the topics or forums where those vehicles are celebrated- I'm incredibly happy with the choices I've made- full stop.

Kilmer....

No 1: Every vehicle other than a 20+ yr old Corolla or a current Lexus is: a "money pit", has a "Weak transmission", or is generally unreliable.

No 2: Terribly inconsistent. For example he'll claim the ZF makes great transmissions and then claim FCA AT's are bad but BMW transmissions are good. Well the same ZF transmission is used in both FCA and BMW units.

No 3: Constantly bashes Euro makes. For example he went on about the "electric water pump" used in recently discontinued BMW engines, but low and behold Toyota also uses an electric water pump. He'll rant about "lifetime" ATF fills on these cars yet Toyota has the same thing. He'll rant about an AT in a VW (Aisin) and then go on about how Aisin AT transmissions are great because the company is partly owned by Toyota.

No 4: Unless you can buy cheap aftermarket parts the vehicle is a money pit.

No 5: Has recommend repair hacks which were dangerous to the customer. For example he did a hack for brake lines and on the package was a warning against using the tubing for automotive brakes.

Last edited:
My BMWs have not been that expensive to keep running- I usually stick with four and six cylinder 2 and 3 Series models. A lot of the "BMWs cost a bazillion dollars to maintain" comments come from people who haven't even sat in the car they are commenting on.

Why is it necessary to experience expensive trouble to know it exists? You can ascertain much of this information by simply reading. Mercedes and BMW consistently come in ranked number 1 and 2 in the expense to own rankings. These people aren't making this stuff up to upset you.

https://clark.com/cars/most-and-least-expensive-cars-maintain-repair/

Their stats don't really mean anything. You have to look at their typical customer. For example with regards to BMW if their typical customer will let an oil leak from a $10 gasket go unresolved only to have said leak cause the drive belt to slip and get ingested into the engine through the front main seal, then ya that car is expensive to maintain. Also, do they charge higher labor for german makes, or do they only use genuine parts for repairs if the part can't be purchased at an auto parts store?

Originally Posted by KGMtech
That he's successful from his marketing is evidence of how he figured out the internet, so kudos to him. He's preaching to a crowd that is far lower in automotive experience than those who are members at BITOG.

True, he's an entrepreneur in that he has made multi-media work for him.

I don't agree with his "Lucas Love Fest," but sometimes these types of personalities will say goofy things to make you go "what?"

Of course that "what?" makes you come back to his site and see what other "over-the-top" comments he might make.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Their stats don't really mean anything. You have to look at their typical customer. For example with regards to BMW if their typical customer will let an oil leak from a $10 gasket go unresolved only to have said leak cause the drive belt to slip and get ingested into the engine through the front main seal, then ya that car is expensive to maintain. Also, do they charge higher labor for german makes, or do they only use genuine parts for repairs if the part can't be purchased at an auto parts store?

They are either expensive to repair and break down more, or their not and they don't. Most every used car report shows they are at, or near the top when it comes to lack of reliability, and high repair cost.

Sure, you could "get a good one", as they say. And you could also get a Toyota that's a lemon. But the odds are against both. Automobile reliability is based on the law of averages. Just like human health. If both of your parents died of cancer, it doesn't guarantee that you will. But it puts the odds much more in favor of it. This is no different.

A dozen of em' huh? Yeah, they must have been good alright. Otherwise why would you have had so many of them? I haven't owned a dozen cars in my entire life. So I guess all of mine must have been absolutely GREAT!

A dozen of em' huh? Yeah, they must have been good alright. Otherwise why would you have had so many of them? I haven't owned a dozen cars in my entire life. So I guess all of mine must have been absolutely GREAT!

I'm actually at 25 cars overall since 1974- read about them here.

As for my BMWs? Here's the story on each one:
1973 Bavaria- The BMW I wanted since I saw a 1972 ad in Car and Driver claiming it cruised at 120 mph(I only cruised at a maximum 100 mph for over an hour). Also my first track car- at Watkins Glen. Sold it and bought a
1987 535is- A much quicker track toy, but in two years I had wrung all the speed out of it in stock form, So I bought a
1988 M6- with a Dinan Chip and Euro exhaust it made over 300 hp at the crank. Still regret selling it.
1995 318ti Club Sport- ordered in 1995, it was my primary track rat for over a decade. Less than 500 were built, and in 2018 I was invited to show it at the Keeneland Concours d'Elegance
1998 318ti- My wife joined in the fun, and only sold it because she needed a larger car and found a
1997 528i- Wonderful sedan, but my bride four years later my bride picked up a
2004 X3 2.5- Kept for 12 years, she gave it to my our son and bought a
2009 328i- She never bonded with it and took the X3 back and gave the 3er to our son.
1975 2002- old school fun; I fitted it with E21 Recaros and an Alpine head unit- my son's first car
2014 M235i- I wanted a reasonably fast HPDE instructor car, it can also beat most challengers at the Stoplight Grand Prix
2016 i3 REx- A crazy cheap lease($105/month) we loved it
2015 X1 xDrive28i- my wife's latest ride, it's a Le Mans Blue M Sport. Fun and almost fast, running the quarter in the mid fourteens.

And though it may not really count, we also have a R55 Cooper Clubman; my current DD, it averages over 37 mpg.

People have different ideas about what is enjoyable about cars. For some they're a necessary expensive appliance and the less interaction and attention the better. Others enjoy the mechanics and driving dynamics as a hobby/lifestye as much as a transportation module. Not everyone wishes to own a car for 200k low maintenance numb miles, changing out cars every few years doesn't necessarily indicate there was something wrong with them. We historically get tired and bored with cars after around 5 years, nothing to do with reliability or wearing them out. Trying hard to get to 10 years.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
People have different ideas about what is enjoyable about cars. For some they're a necessary expensive appliance and the less interaction and attention the better. Others enjoy the mechanics and driving dynamics as a hobby/lifestye as much as a transportation module. Not everyone wishes to own a car for 200k low maintenance numb miles, changing out cars every few years doesn't necessarily indicate there was something wrong with them. We historically get tired and bored with cars after around 5 years, nothing to do with reliability or wearing them out. Trying hard to get to 10 years.

I've had the ti for almost 24 years, the Wrangler for 17. The only other car I've owned I should have held on to was the M6- I still regret selling it.

I'm guessing he's like me, and is an enthusiast. I've had a bunch of cars, quite a few of which were German marques. I still have three currently, one of which is a Motorcycle. No real issues with any of them. Why so many? because I like to try different vehicles.

Having worked in consumer automotive repair, I think the biggest issue with German marques is people over-extend themselves to buy them, and then can't afford to maintain them. Any vehicle that isn't maintained will develop problems.

He's a smart businessman. And he didn't get that way by being stupid. Much like Trump, people like to trash him because they disagree with him. But instead of providing intelligent rebuttals, they attack his bombastic personality. A lot of what he say's is simple common sense. I'm not saying the guy is right 100% of the time, no one is. But he's certainly no fool. I've gotten a lot of good information off many of his videos. I'm noticing in a lot of his more recent uploads, he has toned himself down quite a bit.

After all, it takes a smart businessman to inherit and launder...
smile.gif

But instead of providing intelligent rebuttals, they attack his bombastic personality. A lot of what he say's is simple common sense.

It's not about requiring rebuttals. There are plenty of methods of entertainment I don't like, and that's the way it is with everyone. He's a form of entertainment. He's certainly not educational, at least not much. I've learned a heck of a lot more from here and other quieter YouTube videos than I could ever learn from him.

If it provides him income, good for him. If someone is helping me on my vehicle or doing something for me, being a Kilmer subscriber won't cut it as a credential.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back