Scotty Kilmer Bio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dishdude
Can Scott Kilmer and Pintrest both vanish from the internet? Neither serve any purpose.

I concur.

Are they forcing their way onto your computer?

Originally Posted by dishdude
Can Scott Kilmer and Pintrest both vanish from the internet? Neither serve any purpose.

When these YouTube videos become more like the old Cal Worthington commercials I click them off.

Go see Cal.
Go see Cal.
Go see Cal.

He once advocated using a jack with no jack stands. Bad in my book and he has a lot of followers who do don't any better. And his garage is atrocious

That he's successful from his marketing is evidence of how he figured out the internet, so kudos to him. He's preaching to a crowd that is far lower in automotive experience than those who are members at BITOG.

I watch Scotty Kilmer all the time when I click on You Tube . I`m not a mechanic but I think he pretty much knows what he is talking about . I`m pretty much used to him now after so many watches. The thing that gets me though is his constant hands movement. I wonder if he would be able to speak if his hands were not flopping around :)

Originally Posted by talest
I am done with FPS Russia and DemoRanch.....

I don't even consider those 2 to be firearm information sources. They are strictly entertainment. Along with their whole, "How many iron skillets will a .50 BMG go through", etc. And I don't even watch FPS Russia. Between his phony "accent", along with his ATF raids, gun confiscations, the murder of his "partner", and God knows what else, I'll pass.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Nothing like stirring a pot by calling some group of folks "worshippers" with limited evidence on context.

It's because so many of them are. Many Mercedes and BMW owners have trouble admitting the obvious. I don't know why, but they do. They are very expensive to keep on the road long term beyond the warranty. The fact is there are very few like IndyFan who are honest enough to admit it.
Originally Posted by IndyFan
I agree with Scotty. I own a Mercedes and it is a complicated and expensive car. Many things on it are very expensive to fix.

My BMWs have not been that expensive to keep running- I usually stick with four and six cylinder 2 and 3 Series models. A lot of the "BMWs cost a bazillion dollars to maintain" comments come from people who haven't even sat in the car they are commenting on. And there's a large "sour grapes" quotient at work as well.

Scotty has been around the block a few times and usually deals in common sense but occasionally goes off on tangents. His videos are hard to watch for me from a production stand point. Some of the best videos I've seen that are automotive related are the ones from savagegeese and engineering explained. Jmo.

I got kicked off of his YouTube channel for calling him out on his half truths and grossly incorrect information.

He needs to get off the sauce. He's about half baked in most of his videos. Why do you think he always has sunglasses on?

For those who know little or nothing about cars, he might seem like a genius. But for the rest of us who know about cars, he offers little more than entertainment.

But, you have to give him credit for making money off YouTube. It doesn't look like he was making much "repairing" cars in his driveway.

Toyota good, everything else bad... pretty much sums up Scotty's mantra.

If you want to see how a good mechanic operates, check out the "South Main Auto Repair" channel.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My BMWs have not been that expensive to keep running- I usually stick with four and six cylinder 2 and 3 Series models. A lot of the "BMWs cost a bazillion dollars to maintain" comments come from people who haven't even sat in the car they are commenting on. And there's a large "sour grapes" quotient at work as well.

This.

Yes, there are some jobs that are labor-intensive that wouldn't need to be done on other vehicles. (M62 timing chain guides; N62 coolant transfer pipe). Parts aren't that expensive, though. And you are only doing those jobs every 100k.

Not everything needs to be a Toyota that runs forever even when extremely neglected. High performance vehicles will require more maintenance, but those that choose them probably weren't considering a Toyota anyway.

Engines and transmissions, if maintained, on BMWs run for a looong time. There are benefits to what Scotty calls "overengineering".

Originally Posted by MCompact
My BMWs have not been that expensive to keep running- I usually stick with four and six cylinder 2 and 3 Series models. A lot of the "BMWs cost a bazillion dollars to maintain" comments come from people who haven't even sat in the car they are commenting on.

Why is it necessary to experience expensive trouble to know it exists? You can ascertain much of this information by simply reading. Mercedes and BMW consistently come in ranked number 1 and 2 in the expense to own rankings. These people aren't making this stuff up to upset you.

https://clark.com/cars/most-and-least-expensive-cars-maintain-repair/

Why are people so uptight ? No one forces you to watch this Kilmer guy or any other 'mechanic' on YouTube (for the record, I've seen maybe 2 of Kilmer's videos). Here's a clue: They aren't doing this for educational purposes anymore. They do this for a living and many of them are living quite comfortably contrary to how they appear "in character".

There is a system when it comes to YouTube. Notice how every single one of them emphasizes subscribing to their channel, liking each video, and how the videos are specific lengths ? YouTube pays based on a tiered system: The more subscribers you have, the more they pay on each watched video. A user "likes" a video ? Cha-ching, more $$$. If you watch a 15-minute video for 2 minutes, it "hurts" their numbers. If they retain a user for "x" minutes, they basically get full credit.

Do you folks watch TV shows that you think are stupid and don't like ? Bet you don't - you turn the channel. When a song comes on the radio that you don't like, do you listen to it ? I'm sure you don't. Don't like Kilmer, South Main Auto, Eric the Car Guy ? Move along....

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by wwillson
I met Scotty at the Ohio Gumout TRC event. He a nice guy with a lot of energy. I enjoyed chatting with him over the course of a couple days. ChrisFix is also smart and a nice guy, just not as wound up as Scotty.

Chrisfix's videos have been very helpful. Did he show his face?

Yes, Chris is easy to talk to and is a smart soft spoken guy.

Scotty got his start on local TV being the auto repair expert they'd go to for short pieces. He moved to the Internet and made a million dollars. He does love to dig at Mercedes and plastic engine parts.

As mentioned before, you have to treat the internet like TV channels. Not every channel is of interest to everyone. Don't like it, don't watch it. I don't understand the complaining.

I've been watching some repair videos from Angel. They're good as it shows the difficulties of some repairs and seemingly trivial stuff to experts is important to me. Things like how far you can jack up an engine.

I watch him.
He's got the gift to gab, and very entertaining, and sometimes even informative.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back