Scored a new ride.

No offense intended but...what kind of world do we live in where peeps pay above sticker for 315HP cars?

No offense intended but...what kind of world do we live in where peeps pay above sticker for 315HP cars?
I mean VW sold all 333 of their “limited edition” €76,410 Golf’s in Germany in 8 minutes.

Cue the unsolicited “You should pay cash for a used Corolla and drive it for 400,000 miles.” comments.
When I can’t sleep I just look at pictures of Corolla’s, knocks me right out!

I'm taking delivery of a new 2023 Honda Civic Touring in Crystal White Pearl with grey leather interior this month, paid straight MSRP no add-ons and an excellent trade on my CRV. Up until 2019, drove Civics for many years, (always in White BTW) and wanted one more until I'm forced into a hybrid or EV. Yes, I'm a boomer at almost 76, who knows, this may be my last car, so I'm getting something I can enjoy. I have an excellent dealer, great service advisor and a Honda Certified Master Technician who does all my services. I feel fortunate to have service I can have confidence in. I got to drive a Type R, incredible car, just way beyond what I want to spend.

Last edited:
If you enjoy the car enough to be okay with paying 4k over that's fine. Enjoy. But my comment about that would parrot the others.

Horsepower alone doesn't matter. Look at the Type R's power-to-weight ratio...that's what makes it a good buy. A Yukon Denali has 420 horsepower but it's a moot point since it's basically the USS Teddy Roosevelt. Don't get me wrong, I've never bought a new car in my life and therefore haven't paid over MSRP but there are far worse vehicles IMO to overpay for (looking at you, Telluride).

Last edited:
I scored a new 2023 FL5 Civic Type R in championship white. I wasn't really looking, but at the dealership where I bought my Accord and happen to be friends with the sales mgr. they had the car in the inventory where I stumbled upon it. I have not seen any of these cars in my city so I decided pull the trigger figuring there may never be a better chance. They had it for 8k over sticker and I got them to cut that in half. I hated having to pay anything over MSRP, but other owners are telling me 4k over is about as good a deal as I could expect to get.
It should hold its book value better over time since it's HONDA . So a + .

I really like the new Type R...especially in white. Congrats!

Type R is a helluva car, track-focused and somewhat rare. That in case you've been sleeping yields above MSRP in 2023. 315hp with a curb weigh of 3188...that's a lot of fun. Let me guess...muscle car guy right?

Last edited:
Paying over MSRP is OK if you really want a hard to get car and the market adjustment price is not crazy.
Sure - it's what you are willing to pay, not what some dude on an internet forum thinks it's worth. The value is what the value is/what you willing to pay. MSRP is just a number...I think folks forget about the "suggested" part. Everyone was so used to getting ridiculous deals under MSRP for so long now that it's flipped folks are losing their minds...if I needed a car right now and it was over MSRP with my best efforts...ok? I need a car. They have a car. You buy the car. Hot cars like this/popular/rare...you are and always have paid more.

Back