Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by SureshR
Amsoil does have a dexos 2 -

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...n-car-formula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/

No it is not dexos licensed:

http://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos2/index.html

The oil you link has two actual approvals, VW 504.00 and 507.00.

There is a difference between "engineered for use in" vs "Approvals"
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...n-car-formula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/

Will it work in the suggested applications? I trust Amsoil and believe it will be just fine. But again, i does not meet dexos approval. If it did, the logo would also be displayed on the front of the container.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SureshR
Amsoil does have a dexos 2 -https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/european/european-car-formula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/
No, not really dexos2. Amsoil says its good enough, so it comes down to "Do you believe Amsoil?" since they don't actually have a real dexos2 certification there.
Originally Posted by s2krunner
[.. thought LSPI isnt issue with N/A direct injection motor. Wasnt issue with turbocharger DI only? M1 ESP 0w40 is same or more than a Amsoil and much harder to get than a Amsoil or Schaeffer.
Im also using WIX.
LSPI is also an issue with DI engines of high compression. It is more likely in turbo engines since pressures can be higher. Scheaffer I would guess wouldn't be that bad for LSPI, since they put in a big slug of moly in there which is a known LSPI quencher, so I'm agreeing you could take the chance on Schaeffer. (Amsoil did reformulate for LSPI, BTW.)
Seriously, use what Patman is doing, as he knows this stuff, using M1 ESP 5w30 until the 0w40 version becomes more common at dealerships. M1 ESP 5w30 is available on amazon or pep boys, others probably, easy to get for the most part. Your current usage of Valvoline 5w40 is also good since Chevy mentions that very oil in the Owner's Manual, not bad in TX where it doesn't get too cold either.

LSPI events in Non-Turbo Di applications is exceedingly rare. I wouldn't make a choice on oil for my normally aspirated Di vehicle based on LSPI. But dexos does bring other advantages if required by your OEM or if its something you're interested in trying.

With most major brands offering both certifications, it's not a big deal. Both have benefits beyond the LSPI issue.

Originally Posted by StevieC
kschachn said:
StevieC said:

Why does every thread need to go off about buying an off the shelf oil when that wasn't the question that was asked? (This part is not aimed at you KS)

I often ask myself the same question. I guess many of us value our own opinions to a higher degree than an OP's question.

It appears out of 50 or so responses, we have about 7 that answer his question. LOL

Now, Onetor understands. +1 to you, Onetor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by StevieC
kschachn said:
StevieC said:

Why does every thread need to go off about buying an off the shelf oil when that wasn't the question that was asked? (This part is not aimed at you KS)

I often ask myself the same question. I guess many of us value our own opinions to a higher degree than an OP's question.

It appears out of 50 or so responses, we have about 7 that answer his question. LOL

Now, Onetor understands. +1 to you, Onetor.

He did mention the high price which was my reason for offering my opinion on an good brand true and IMHO under priced synthetic oil that actually meets the specs dexos 2 not just a VW 504/507 oil that is supposedly engineered for it.

Schaeffer. Out of my neck of the woods. They usually are the oil suppliers for lots of charter bus companies. That's what we used in drums. Rep was friendly and didn't badger us. I would put them in the one of five oils I would use with Redline being my go to and primary. Then Pennzoil HM 0w20/Pup, Motul 300V, and Torco.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
, order Ravenol DXG 5w30 from amazon or blauparts, as it is dexos1 & has tungsten

I could never, ever, ever, ever, in good faith pour an oil into any engine I care about that carries metallic tungsten around with it.

Someone, please tell me how tungsten in your oil is a good thing? I can almost guarantee you.... it isn't.

The primary motor oil I use is Schaeffer. Next up is Pennzoil conventional. And some Amsoil in a few niche applications. I put about as much time into worrying whether the oil I use in my GM vehicles is dexos approved as I do worrying about if we are going to get nuked by the PRK. My wife's Caddy CTS 3.6, GM said it has to have M1 5w30. All it has gotten is Pennzoil PYB conventional 10w30. 12 years old and still going strong. A keeper. My 2015 2500 6.0 gets Schaeffer oil, which is not on the approved dexos list either. I can't recall a time in the last 50 years that I have used a specific oil that the OEM recommended. I just use the stuff that meets most of the current standards like SAE and ILSAC.

I switched to Schaeffers in 2012 and I think they have some of the finest lubricants in the world. I use it in everything I own. That's my opinion but you cant go wrong with amsoil either. Both would suite you well.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
, order Ravenol DXG 5w30 from amazon or blauparts, as it is dexos1 & has tungsten

I could never, ever, ever, ever, in good faith pour an oil into any engine I care about that carries metallic tungsten around with it.

Someone, please tell me how tungsten in your oil is a good thing? I can almost guarantee you.... it isn't.

Tungsten is a friction modifier. The last time I checked friction modifier's are good.

Tungsten is being used similar to the way moly is used, and for some reason, Ravenol wants to use both tungsten & moly. Most other oils use only moly, or some other OFM, if any FM at all.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4638032/Re:_Tungsten_FM_in_Molygen_(LM for another tungsten oil.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Trav has many "tricks" up his sleeve. How old is that?

That would have to be pre 1966 if I had to guess. It is Wakefied-Castrol not post 1966 Burmah-Castrol. It also has a Royal Warrant to the Queen so it has to be after 1952.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back