Range Report Aguila SS .22 Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was attracted to the Aguila Sniper Subsonic .22 ammo for a Smith lightweight snubbie used by my wife for home defense. The Avila has a big (for a .22) 60 grain bullet and a relatively low 950 FPS MV. I figured it would have some punch up close, while being light on recoil and low on noise... the goal being to encourage my startle-reflex-afflicted wife to practice more. I've NEVER been more disappointed in any ammo I've purchased, including WWII surplus ammo..

While I don't doubt you could pump rounds into the center of a body mass from five feet away with the Aguila SSS, I'd otherwise call it "broadside of a barn" accuracy at best. I shot it against several other brands and types of .22LR ammo and the SS was by far the most inconsistent. You could generally say it shot high and left at any distance, but the farther away from the target you got (I was never more than 50 ft), the more erratic it was and at 50ft, you were lucky to stay on the paper. I won't hold that too much against it, since short barrels are very dependent on a great many ammunition factors and it's clear the large bullet and relatively low muzzle velocity doesn't work with this short-barreled gun.

The real gripes start with the smoke. Did Avila revert back to black powder and not tell us? I have never seen more smoke except in black power weapons. Odd smelling too. Lots of black stains on the pistol (and my hands) after just 100 rounds. Lots of unburned powder in the cylinder and barrel. So much so I had to periodically brush out the barrel and cylinders or I could not insert new cartridges.

Once the cartridges were fired, the shells were very difficult to eject from the cylinder. At the time, I though it was the power residue or the lead fouling (more on that below) but in looking at the shells with a magnifying glass, it looks ike when the hammer hits the rim, it distorts the shell just enough to lightly jam it into the cylinder. At one point if got bad enough that the primers of one load were so distorted the cylinder would not rotate nor would it swing out.

Misfires: There were 10 in one hundred rounds. Lousy! They all fired on the second try, but still!

Lead Fouling: OMG! What a nightmare to clean up after when you have an aluminum cylinder. Unjacketed bullets have these tendencies, but this was beyond my experience. It was so bad that after the first mild brushing, a regular LR cartridge (which has a longer case) still would not fully seat. I suppose I "shoulda known" but I have fired unjacketed .22 in other stuff and not had any where near this degree of trouble. And just 100 rounds! Fortunately, I shot the regular .22 ammo first or I would have had to clean the pistol between firing the different brands of ammo.

In short, I think the Aguila SSS .22 ammo sucks and I intend to destroy/discard the 100 rounds I have left. I don't know anybody I dislike enough to give it to. Though I've had them all my life and served in the Army, guns have not been an all-comsuming hobby, and I cannot really call myself much of an "expert." You can likely pick this review apart and find flaws in my logic or observations. You could also say I "shoulda known" this ammo would be a bad match for a snubbie revolver. Fair enough, but I'm so soured at this point (even if you take out the expected accuracy problems) that I'm not really interested in being open-minded. There is plenty of ammo out there I KNOW works. I don't know if this was a one-time QC issue or if this is "normal" for Aguila ammo but it will never be shot by me or mine again.

Last edited:
I am inclined to believe this ammunition is designed for use in rifles that may be suppressed. The fairly heavy bullet weight would be a reason to use this for "varmint control" out in an area where you don't want to make much noise but still get the job done.

You might look into winchester subsonic if you want a low recoil load. These are offered in normal 22lr bullet weights and are simply underloaded eith powder. I have had good luck with these in a rifle.

The reason the accuracy is so bad is because the rifling twist rate of your revolver is too slow to stabilize a bullet as long as a 60 gr Aguila

if you are going too use a 22 fore self defence you might look at the cci velocitor it is a 40 grain holow point with a velocity of 1435 fps granted that is from a rifle but it would probely be more suted fore youre needs

As I mentioned, I'm less concerned with the accuracy part because I understand that part of it more or less. It's the 10 percent misfire rate, the lead fouling and the power residue that chap my hide more than anything.

Subsonic .22 is simply not reliable.

I've tried all kinds of brands and weights in all of my .22 weapons. I have a semi-auto S&W 422, a Ruger 10/22 and a S&W M&P-15-22, a pump action Rossi .22, a bolt action Savage, the list goes on and on.

NONE of the semi-autos will cycle the action realiably after just a few shots. In fact, the ammo itself can be unreliable even in the pump action and bolt action guns.

It just comes down to SS.22 not being reliable. It's not for self defense. Get super-sonic ammo if .22 is your defense weapon.

SS.22 is for the fun of putting on a suppressor and picking off varmits when they don't even hear it. I've popped rodents with my .22 Savage with Remington SS ammo, and the only thing they would hear is the "whup" of the bullet strike. So, they stand around while their buddy yelps and drops, and then I pick off another one. SS .22 ammo in a bolt action is the hot ticket, because all the (poorly and partially burnt) powder stays off your hand, out of the action, and (mostly) down range. SS.22 is NOT for revolvers or semi-autos; just won't enjoy it, and it's not reliable enough to be defense worthy.

subsonics/standard are used at our range, and the number of misfires that can't be attributable to WD40 on the bolt can be counted on two hands over a decade.

I too was very disapointed with the performance of the 60gr Aquila ammo out of my customized Ruger 10/22 rifle
.......however Aquila Subsonic 38gr HP ammo is some of the most accurate I've shot....especially for the price.
It shoots almost as good as some Eley, Wolf Target, SK Jagd that I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back