Sailboats with Diesel Engines

Looking at a couple of options in the 30 to 36 foot range. Universal engines seem common type, among others. Is there anything special to consider with diesel engines, oil weight, type, other?

One I am looking, a 1986 Catalina has 1500 hours on the engine. Hoping to see if the owner has a service log. Probably also submit to Blackstone for oil analysis. Boat will be located in Michigan out of the water in a cradle.

try your inquiry at sailing anarchy, lot of old timers still there.Might find some one from michigan that knows the boat, its a small community

I might have a sailboat but for the cost. I don't mean the purchase price (which is quite manageable), I mean the annual cost.

My sailing friends estimate the annual cost as 10% of the purchase price when you take into account insurance, repairs, maintenance and a berth. I assume they mean 10% of the new price. One of my friends 50' sailboat broke free during a storm and damaged the boat moored beside it, so good insurance is an essential.

An $80,000 - $120,000 boat would be very appropriate around here. I just don't like the idea of a $8,000 - $12,000 annual cost.

You mean like these in Titusville?
sailboats.jpg

My son-in-law and daughter have an older 51' Hartley Ferrocement ketch in New Zealand. They recently replaced the old Ford diesel with a low hour Yanmar (100hp?) which powers that heavy boat quite well. I think top speed is something like 12-14 knots, cruising about 8 with low fuel consumption. I can ask about what oil he uses.

A Universal of that vintage was usually spec’d when new to run on straight 30 diesel oil. Engineering for viscosity improvers has made quantum leaps since then and they are more often run on 15w-40 now - Delo, Delvac, etc. I think Yanmars of that era would be the same story. Straight-weight oils made a lot of sense in these applications as they were rarely fired up below freezing, so the engine saw no benefit from less-robust multi-grade oils. Cruisersforum.com is a great place to ask about issues like this, pros/cons of different models and makes, etc. There is no terribly unique lubrication issue; they are re-purposed (“marinized”) small tractor and ag engines at heart.

The C34 association has a huge database on the Universal M-25, which is a Kubota.

https://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine

Yanmars of this period had some oil pump issues, so an auxiliary pressure gauge or pump retrofit is worth considering if not done. Just be aware of that issue and ask if you end up with a Yanmar brand iron genny from that era.

Last edited:
Looking at a couple of options in the 30 to 36 foot range. Universal engines seem common type, among others. Is there anything special to consider with diesel engines, oil weight, type, other?

One I am looking, a 1986 Catalina has 1500 hours on the engine. Hoping to see if the owner has a service log. Probably also submit to Blackstone for oil analysis. Boat will be located in Michigan out of the water in a cradle.
My Bayliner Bucaneer 305 had a Volvo-Penta diesel engine.

Nothing special with the oil weight. Just regular ol 15w40 will do.

Startron in the fuel tank will help control water also.

An oil extractor will come in handy for changing the oil.

The inboard motor is mainly for traveling around the harbor, parking, etc. They aren't meant for propulsion like a power boat.

the Catalina may have a 3-cylinder Universal M-25 engine. Fuel filter/water separator may be unique to that engine, and the dock store may have it in stock or order one for you.

Last edited:
Back