Sad day ... physical problems regarding doing my own maintenance

I'm 45 and because I have a sedentary job I prioritize lifting and exercise. When I was younger it was about moving as much weight as possible as many times as possible but that has morphed into simply wanting to keep muscle mass, flexibility, and most importantly functionality. Light weight and higher reps or just bodyweight exercises are all most need to keep their functionality and it's usually never too late!
Same. In my 40’s but people often thinking I’m younger just because of the amount of training and physical activities I do. I am with you on not lifting heavy anymore. My joints can’t take it anymore (mild arthritis.) I always say I’m going to fall apart one day anyways so might as well use my body up and have some cool stories to go with it.

Tried doing my front break pads yesterday, I took the wheel off and saw I had at least 20k miles left. So I put the wheel back on….. then I couldn’t get up! Between bad shoulder, hand, back and knee I was stuck. My wife helped me and said maybe it’s time for someone to work on the car. Very depressing🙁
I feel your pain. Good luck. I am going throught the same thing right this very moment.......you are not alone.

It is very depressing, but that says a lot about you, which is this case is good.

I feel your pain good sir. I’m not even middle aged yet and I have enough health issues that doing basic maintenance can be very challenging. Basic things like oil change and diff oil change etc can wreck me for days afterward.

Thankful I can still do things that save me money though… even if it is painful and takes longer than I’d like, with consequences for days afterward lol.
I changed the oil in my RAV4 on Friday and was happy that I didn't get any little aches. Now, if I have to do something physical, I assess the aches and pains that might result to the cost of hiring someone. I'm paying a pro to mulch and do some landscaping. I could do it myself by I'll probably hurt my back and I don't enjoy landscaping.

Last week, I aggravated my left knee by moving a 2 high pipe staging. I got the job done, slowly and painfully. As for car crawling, I have gotten the Camry's oil change down to an hour with minimum spillage by using 40$worth of special tools.The Camry's strong suit is that it doesn't need constant repair. I miss the 528e, but not the amount of maintenance it required

Last week, I aggravated my left knee by moving a 2 high pipe staging. I got the job done, slowly and painfully. As for car crawling, I have gotten the Camry's oil change down to an hour with minimum spillage by using 40$worth of special tools.The Camry's strong suit is that it doesn't need constant repair. I miss the 528e, but not the amount of maintenance it required
You sir, need a Fumoto valve!

Even with my limitations I can change the oil on the Subaru in about five minutes, I just flip open the fumoto valve, go up top and change the filter, go back down and shut the valve, pour in the new oil up top and pour the old into the now empty 5qt jug and then bingo, done.

Reactions: 4WD

Even with my limitations I can change the oil on the Subaru in about five minutes, I just flip open the fumoto valve, go up top and change the filter, go back down and shut the valve, pour in the new oil up top and pour the old into the now empty 5qt jug and then bingo, done.
Super nice on my big SUV’s when I leave a filter for 2nd OCI …
Fast and clean …

Talk to your doc about a referral to physical therapy. A few years ago I could barely lift my right arm to change a radio station while driving. I was suspicious of pt. However my doc referred me to them and within a month I was a different person. Check it out please. Do not accept where you are at.

Talk to your doc about a referral to physical therapy. A few years ago I could barely lift my right arm to change a radio station while driving. I was suspicious of pt. However my doc referred me to them and within a month I was a different person. Check it out please. Do not accept where you are at.
PT can definitely help a good number of people….

Another good number of us cannot be helped by PT and exercises…. lol

Reactions: wlk
I’m one of several people who adopted bungee cord workouts due to excessive time reviewing engineering reports and procedures …
What a difference those things make - great for travel - and much better if you drop one on your foot 😷

If your pyhsical condition prevents you from doing mechanics work on your own car, hiring outside mechanics to do the work is well worth it to avoid the related soreness and aching muscles or back region.

I know what you going through, health issues putting a bite on what you LOVE to do.
There is always new things that you can explore as you age.

The filter is the problem. it's a plastic basket a foot away from the drain plug. Cheap socket to deal with basket broke. 'Good' tool was 30$ and works great but.. Special doo-hicky to drain the basket is another 20$. It also works great. Tools I never needed doing a hundred oil/filter changes on the 528e or the daughters Corolla That was only a 20 minute job :cool:

I am 76 and have had a quad bypass, major lower back surgery with three long screws and cadaver bone used for repair, my thyroid removed as well as my gall bladder and numerous kidney stones removed surgically from my left kidney. My knees hurt like all heck some days. I also have chronic lymphocytic leukemia and am on a daily regimen of a very strong drug to keep it in check. My wife and I moved to a care facility and are in the independent living portion where we can come and go as we please but with the option of going to higher levels of care as needed.

I did all my car work for about forty years...brakes, oil changes, spark plugs, fluid changes, etc but I have had to give it up several years ago. I now let the VW dealer do it all for me. Yes, it is not what I want but age and my body give me little choice. I still try to walk about 5000 - 7000 steps a day. But I look back on all of the things I used to do with pride and satisfaction. And I think that is the way to do it. Rather than lament what you can no longer do, remember and rejoice in the good old days and be glad you had them!
You have a great attitude for having been through so much. Very commendable. I'm in my sixties and have already had one heart attack and a couple of stents put in. I also have a very bad lower back and some joint issues. Still change my own oil in our 3 vehicles but I certainly am not as limber as I used to be. I hope to keep doing it the rest of my life but I suppose that may not be realistic. My dad is 85 and he stopped doing his own oil changed 15 years ago.

I just finished an engine swap on the 2008 Subaru Outback. I am sore and know that it will be a few days before the soreness goes away. I hope I won’t have to do any hard work on the same car for a long time..

Jpc1623, I hope you do get better soon, or find a way to improve your mobility. I have gotten injured on several occasions over the years and it seems to take longer to recover. I hope there is recovery for you soon.

the day I cant wrench is the day I want to be put out to pasture.
Said by a 37 year old. Wait until you're in your 70s or 80s.

When I was a Medical Intern a nursing student (who was all of 18 years old) described her 21 year old patient as "this middle aged man". Your perspective changes with age.

It is said that many profoundly disabled people enjoy life. They don't have the life that you or I have or would want, but they do enjoy the life they have.

Try yoga. It stretches you and involves strength. It's just you, the floor and gravity.
Another good option (believe it or not) is dancing. If you're offended by the idea of dancing as an activity that's on you.

My wife and I have been doing ball-room dancing for about 40 years and have really stepped up the intensity in the past 5 years. This weekend we have a Friday night practice, a Saturday night dance and a Sunday afternoon lesson. It's not just a physical work out, it's a mental work-out as well. You just try to remember and implement those complicated dance steps. As for the physical aspect, after an hour's lesson or an hour's practice my shirt is always damp. They say if you've finished a waltz and you aren't tired, then you didn't do it right.

Dancing is even supposed to be a good treatment for Parkinson's disease.

^^Yup.
Trying to dance has been an unwavering source of frustration throughout my life.
I've taken multiple dance lessons just to be able to get out on the floor -and look real bad- at weddings etc.

Trying to dance has been an unwavering source of frustration throughout my life.
I've taken multiple dance lessons just to be able to get out on the floor -and look real bad- at weddings etc.
I didn't say anything about being a good dancer. [We aren't.] The physical and mental activity is the real prize. And we are getting better - slowly, very slowly.

Back