Sad day ... physical problems regarding doing my own maintenance

Tried doing my front break pads yesterday, I took the wheel off and saw I had at least 20k miles left. So I put the wheel back on….. then I couldn’t get up! Between bad shoulder, hand, back and knee I was stuck. My wife helped me and said maybe it’s time for someone to work on the car. Very depressing🙁

I'm 45 and because I have a sedentary job I prioritize lifting and exercise. When I was younger it was about moving as much weight as possible as many times as possible but that has morphed into simply wanting to keep muscle mass, flexibility, and most importantly functionality. Light weight and higher reps or just bodyweight exercises are all most need to keep their functionality and it's usually never too late!

Oh man so sorry to hear.....there are times I see that it's not realistic to lift without using the back (reaching for a stored rim/tire for example), and yep, there it goes, back pain. Hope you recover soon! :)

Well, if you’re unable to work on the car, clearly, you are unable to do the dishes, take out the trash, vacuum, or do laundry…right? 😉
And then she just puts you out to pasture and looks for someone who is useful.

The old Red Green line, "If she doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy."

Handy is about all I have, LOL. Brakes on her RAV4 and a new garage door opener in the past week.

But, in all seriousness, I cannot imagine the day when I cannot do the things I do.

Tried doing my front break pads yesterday, I took the wheel off and saw I had at least 20k miles left. So I put the wheel back on….. then I couldn’t get up! Between bad shoulder, hand, back and knee I was stuck. My wife helped me and said maybe it’s time for someone to work on the car. Very depressing🙁

I have significant health issues, that's for sure. I use Testosterone creme to raise levels to about 700, which helps both muscle strength and joint pain immensely. There was a point where I could not stand up from a chair. I can now get up from a squat, on one leg! I exercise when I am able.

Are you older? I'll be 61 this year.

the day I cant wrench is the day I want to be put out to pasture. I understand your agony at just 37 suffering from chronic Lyme and a few dirt bike injuries from childhood I feel it while and after working on the autos assembling furniture doing plumbing, electrical the body just doesn't contort and do what the mind wants and needs it to do to get the job done.

I am 76 and have had a quad bypass, major lower back surgery with three long screws and cadaver bone used for repair, my thyroid removed as well as my gall bladder and numerous kidney stones removed surgically from my left kidney. My knees hurt like all heck some days. I also have chronic lymphocytic leukemia and am on a daily regimen of a very strong drug to keep it in check. My wife and I moved to a care facility and are in the independent living portion where we can come and go as we please but with the option of going to higher levels of care as needed.

I did all my car work for about forty years...brakes, oil changes, spark plugs, fluid changes, etc but I have had to give it up several years ago. I now let the VW dealer do it all for me. Yes, it is not what I want but age and my body give me little choice. I still try to walk about 5000 - 7000 steps a day. But I look back on all of the things I used to do with pride and satisfaction. And I think that is the way to do it. Rather than lament what you can no longer do, remember and rejoice in the good old days and be glad you had them!

Guess I’m “lucky” my job requires me to move equipment around, get up & down off the floor, bring tools & parts in & out of the van all day. Like yoga you get paid for! Still hurts, though (be 60 in July)…

My dad had to stop doing some things this year, in his mid 70s…

Even I have to be more careful now, so I don’t hurt myself. Still try to be as active as I can…..

I am in the early stages of being this way. I do less back-straining activities than you - like removing the underneath shield, changing the oil and oil filter. Becoming 'over-the-hill disgusts me.

Roughly 75% of us are going to a much better place someday. But I'm certainly not in a hurry to get there and my body keeps telling me that it's on a descent, with no possible turn-around in my future.

How old are you?

I feel your pain good sir. I’m not even middle aged yet and I have enough health issues that doing basic maintenance can be very challenging. Basic things like oil change and diff oil change etc can wreck me for days afterward.

Thankful I can still do things that save me money though… even if it is painful and takes longer than I’d like, with consequences for days afterward lol.

I am 58, and have been turning wrenches since I was a kid. I used to pride myself of being able to wrench at a very expedient rate. As I got older, my health has started to take a toll. I would do the 'dad's garage" oil change and tire rotation in about 20-30 minutes. Now, hour to hour and a half. I've learned to accept it, as a part of aging. Do I get frustrated, sure, but I have learned to just accept it and do what I can, no matter how long it now takes.

Back