Running the same Brand type weight oil consitantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no real reservations about switching oil, but do believe in picking one and sticking with it. That way, when changed, you're reinforcing the chemistry of the oil left in the engine rather than diluting it with a different add pack and messing with whatever coating the previous oil may have established on moving parts. Clearly it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference, but by sticking with one oil that I trust in a particular engine if I have any failures that could be blamed on lubrication at least the oil used will be a constant, for better or worse.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
I have no real reservations about switching oil, but do believe in picking one and sticking with it. That way, when changed, you're reinforcing the chemistry of the oil left in the engine rather than diluting it with a different add pack and messing with whatever coating the previous oil may have established on moving parts. Clearly it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference, but by sticking with one oil that I trust in a particular engine if I have any failures that could be blamed on lubrication at least the oil used will be a constant, for better or worse.

Right.... How many engines have you had fail due to the oil?

Motorcraft branded oil is fine stuff, long-produced by ConocoPhillips who make excellent oils.

The one objectively good thing about sticking with one product line would be that there is the greatest chance of receiving the same chemistry. Note that you won't always get the same chemistry, it's just that you'd have the greatest chance of getting it. That translates into consistent tribolayers being set down, rather than shifting back and forth, re-establishing alternate chemistries etc.

That said, it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the real world. Engine oil is a standardized product that mandates compatibility and formulas of a given brand and line are subject to (and do) change without notice. The common elemental compounds like ZDDP, Moly, Boron, Ca etc are present in most oils, PI/DI packs likely came from one of 3 major producers and the consequence of switching between them should be virtually imperceptible IRL.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back