Running Hotter with A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 pages of discussion for something that's normal. Of course the engine runs hotter with the a/c on. Can't change the laws of physics Captain.

You could add fan capacity or a bigger radiator if it bothers you.

Does the fan clutch have the little coil of metal on front. That is a thermostat that makes the clutch more resistant to slip as it gets hotter. That's the one you want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Of course the engine runs hotter with the a/c on. Can't change the laws of physics Captain.

My Buick 3.8L runs cooler with the A/C on because the cooling fans default to high speed. It runs a little warmer with the A/C off, but that's because the fans aren't running at all.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Of course the engine runs hotter with the a/c on. Can't change the laws of physics Captain.

My Buick 3.8L runs cooler with the A/C on because the cooling fans default to high speed. It runs a little warmer with the A/C off, but that's because the fans aren't running at all.

Your Buick has an electric fan.

Your Buick is a newer design.

Your Buick is not Nick's Jeep.

Nick's jeep is behaving normally.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nick's jeep is behaving normally.

Then what's the reason for the FF Dynamics aftermarket company having the aluminum radiator with the included three electric fans for sale ? Are they trying to scare people ?

s-l1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Took it for a drive today, not very hot, only 100 degrees out.

Jeep was 200-205 on the freeway. After a long drive I let it idle with the a/c on and after 15 minutes it was just under 220.

The lower temp thermostat has seemed to help a little bit, but I will drive it next Tuesday as another test. If it isn't much better I might try Water Wetter.

Sounds like a win to me. If it's not warm while you're driving or hitting 240 at stop lights with the AC off like many stories tell, I think you're good.

What wouldn't get up to 220 in 100 degree heat with the AC on idling? Heck my new Cherokee was at 217 today in 86 degree weather going up a hill.

Last edited:
Temperatures seemed slightly better today with this lower thermostat. Seems it can slightly start the cooling process earlier. In traffic it only got to 215 and highway driving is a little closer to 205 where before it was 210. After idling a while it got to 220 but didn't spike to close to 230 like it did last week.

I might try water wetter just for the heck of it.

We ran Water Wetter in a 350 chevy on a 1/2 mile paved track and it brought the max temp down 15-20 degrees if I remember. Apples and oranges and we ran straight water and it probably got changed fairly often. It does work to reduce excessive temps. I've put WW in different trucks for towing but didn't have an accurate gauge to document any effect but didn't notice anything funky like the link above. Maybe the RP Purple Ice is worth looking into as well.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Nothing changed because there is nothing wrong.
230 degrees isn't too hot?

IMO 230 sustained is too hot for normal driving. Maybe on and unusually long hill in the heat of summer, or towing. Your normal temperature should be somewhere close to your thermostat temperature in a normal flow system IMO.

Last edited:
Temperatures seemed slightly better today with this lower thermostat. Seems it can slightly start the cooling process earlier. In traffic it only got to 215 and highway driving is a little closer to 205 where before it was 210. After idling a while it got to 220 but didn't spike to close to 230 like it did last week.

Nick...time to put down the IR gun.....

Originally Posted By: philipp10

Nick...time to put down the IR gun.....
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back