Running 0w-30 vs 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 0W oil will only give slightly, very slightly, better
mileage when the engine is cold. Once the motor begins to
warm up, the two oils are basically identical.
The thinner oil will warm up slightly faster, the splash/misting
lubrication on cylinders and chains will be very slightly better
with the thin oil while engine is cold.

My 2¢

If it saves a slight amount of fuel during warmup, then it will be warming up SLOWER (slightly), as there's less internal friction due to viscous shearing

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If it saves a slight amount of fuel during warmup, then it will be warming up SLOWER (slightly), as there's less internal friction due to viscous shearing
..thereby slightly reducing the already slight viscosity difference and slight fuel savings during warmup (after the first second or so).

Why would a 0W30 save fuel over a 10W30? If the 0W30 is a Euro spec with a high HTHS and the 10W30 is a resource conserving then....

Castrol Edge 0W30 LL04 KV40 = 72.3

Castrol Magnatec professional 10W30 KV40 = 62.8

Wouldn't the 10W30 be better on fuel as it is thinner. Just won't pump if you're at - whatever it is below 0 Celsius?

10W won't do below freezing ?
That's not quite correct.

M1 0W30 AFE, and their regular 5W30 won't turn a lick of difference down to freezing, and probably quite a bit below.

If I had a choice I will opt for a A5 B5 spec in any x-30W over any API spec, exluding ACEA 0W 30 oil like GC , different horse .

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yup, as long as it will flow into the pump intake, it will pump the same. They're positive displacement pumps. Same volume per rev - 5W, 0W, 10W, 15W - as long as it's not wax, it'll be the same
laugh.gif

That's why SAE 30 serve for over 75 years. As long as it was not frozen, it all works about the same. Sling oiling, and splash oiling are different at different temps, but not pumped
smile.gif

Lack of multigrades is why people used to set small fires under their oil pans to be able to start in the winter (real safe!).
I also saw some manufacturer's instructions for a tractor that said to fill the sump with kerosene when it was really cold out.

Originally Posted By: LEADED
If I had a choice I will opt for a A5 B5 spec in any x-30W over any API spec, exluding ACEA 0W 30 oil like GC , different horse .

Why is that, why do you feel A5/B5 out-does API?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yup, as long as it will flow into the pump intake, it will pump the same. They're positive displacement pumps. Same volume per rev - 5W, 0W, 10W, 15W - as long as it's not wax, it'll be the same
laugh.gif

That's why SAE 30 serve for over 75 years. As long as it was not frozen, it all works about the same. Sling oiling, and splash oiling are different at different temps, but not pumped
smile.gif

Lack of multigrades is why people used to set small fires under their oil pans to be able to start in the winter (real safe!).

I also saw some manufacturer's instructions for a tractor that said to fill the sump with kerosene when it was really cold out.

Below 32*F things get different. If you lived in cold country you knew to drop to SAE20 or lower as the seasons changed. The ones lighting fires were the ones who did not plan ahead...

Originally Posted By: KL31
Why would a 0W30 save fuel over a 10W30? If the 0W30 is a Euro spec with a high HTHS and the 10W30 is a resource conserving then....

Castrol Edge 0W30 LL04 KV40 = 72.3

Castrol Magnatec professional 10W30 KV40 = 62.8

Wouldn't the 10W30 be better on fuel as it is thinner. Just won't pump if you're at - whatever it is below 0 Celsius?

But,but,bit it is fated 0w and i read somewhere,,,

Shannow, I meant whatever below 0 it can't do as in, I forget how far below 0 degrees Celsius 10W can't pump. That number
laugh.gif

Just remember that A5B5 oils are not always appropriate for older engines that require a higher HTHS.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: JFAllen

Just remember that A5B5 oils are not always appropriate for older engines that require a higher HTHS.

Regards
Jordan

By definition you can't get higher HTHS with A5-B5 using ACEA spec oil and would need to move to A3-B3/4 to get HTHS of 3.5 or above and would have to be xW-40 (50 is too thick for A3-B3/4 spec).

About -30C...

sae-j300-motor-oil-viscosities.jpg

It's not allowed to have a yield stress at -30C...can pump below that.

Thanks, I'll save that pic for future reference. Geez -30C, I don't think it went below +30C last night here. Was 26 according to my car (in the garage) then driving to work (6:30AM) it was 32C. Too bad there aren't many VII free 30 grades to try over here. And when I say "aren't many", I mean I know of none
laugh.gif

M1 0W30 AFE, and their regular 5W30 won't turn a lick of difference down to freezing, and probably quite a bit below.

Yeah, that is a tough sell for me also. I live in Iowa and we have used 10w30 for decades, year round, and it has always worked well for us. My wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 doesn't seem to mind it. We will keep that car for a lot longer. GM said to use 5w30 Mobil 1. Except for factory fill and one dealer change with another service, it has always used a 10w30 Pennz conventional.

If they were similar animals, as it were, the 0w-30 should have a higher VI and save fuel over warmup, but that will be tiny and immeasurable outside a lab. Now, if you are comparing a 10w-30 ILSAC versus a 0w-30 A3/B4, as you indicate, that's not going to pan out at all.

Geez -30C, I don't think it went below +30C last night here. Was 26 according to my car (in the garage) then driving to work (6:30AM) it was 32C. Too bad there aren't many VII free 30 grades to try over here. And when I say "aren't many", I mean I know of none
laugh.gif

Can run a Mono 30
smile.gif
Penrite do one.
MONO30020.png

I'm in South Oz as well. had some real stinkers in Adelaide recently... good beach weather.
Still like my SHU in the sump, never any top end rattle.

Regards
Jordan

Have seen Delo Silver Monograde SAE 30 in the wild too.

It's also sold as Caltex SAE30 mower oil, and was what Rod Hadfield used in the Merlin engined '5 Chev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back