Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Unicorn01
An answer to a question that was never asked, IMO.

A lot have been asking for it.
Including the ones who spend the $625 or $675 (blued) base price to Clements to have him do the conversion from .357 to 10mm with Ruger GP100s.

I don't get it. If .357 wouldn't take care of what needed taking care of, I'd just get a .44. Not **** around with converting a revolver to run a rimless cartridge.

I like 10mm. Matter of fact, a Glock 20 was my first handgun I bought after I turned 21, 17 years ago. There's just nothing that interests me about shooting it out of a revolver. I'm also not interested in shooting .45 ACP or 9mm out of a wheelgun.
I somewhat have to agree there. If a heavy 180 or 200gr. .357 load isn't enough, might as well just move up to .41 Magnum or above.

I actually don't see the point of .41 Magnum, either. It's no cheaper than .44 Magnum, and it's far less common and available. And, although I've never shot it, I can't imagine that recoil would be much less than .44, either.

I actually don't see the point of .41 Magnum, either. It's no cheaper than .44 Magnum, and it's far less common and available. And, although I've never shot it, I can't imagine that recoil would be much less than .44, either.

It isn't. Especially today. Modern .44 Magnum loads are nothing when compared to the performance level of the .44 Magnum loads that were available in the 60's and 70's. Before the lawyers invaded the shooting industry. Even the stuff Cor-Bon and Garrett sells today doesn't come close to the old Remington .44 Magnum 240 Grain Lead Gas Check load.

This gun makes no sense to me. At all. You want a powerful revolver? Get a nice .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum.

You want a 10MM, get a semi auto, high capacity 10MM. A Glock 20 holds 16 rounds. A six shot revolver holds.... 6 shots.

This is perhaps the stupidest Ruger release I have seen in a long time. What a turd. The ONLY thing I can come up with, is that they are releasing this as a companion pistol for the Ruger PC 10MM carbine, yet to be announced, but likely.

I'm of opposite opinion. I love it. I wasn't a big fan of the 10mm but it has grown on me. I was of the mind to just jump to .44mag/spl, but you can do a lot more shooting with 10mm/.40. I can't imagine there's many scenarios where the energy of .44 mag (say, >1050 ft lb) is necessssry (hunting and large wildlife aside as that brings up a whole different range of calibers and ammo).

In theory I'd like to minimize the number of different calibers and maximize the number of rounds.

.38 is far more than 9mm/round. Similar for .44spl/mag vs .45acp.

So it would be kind of nice if starting all over again, to be able to run revolvers and pistols in the same caliber.

A 10mm let's you do this with cheaper .40S&W ammo for practice, and some hot rounds depending upon why you're using it. Similarly, if someone wants a G21, this revolver would compliment it.

I like revolvers that shoot pistol ammo. As an owner of an M1917 and a modern 22 in .45acp, I'd say that shooting with moon clips isn't a big deal, and shooting without is fine too. Ive never had an issue ejecting.

I'd be very keen on an arsenal that is some variant of this:

Sig P226 & 9mm revolver
1911 & .45ACP revolver
G21 & 10mm revolver

If I was starting out fresh.

The only downside to pistol caliber wheel guns is if you wish to have a LA that shoots pistol calibers. I love those...

I'm a 10mm fan, as I've mentioned in prior threads...

But my G20 just makes so much more sense to me than this gun. The G20 is big, for a Glock, but slimmer than this, and it carries 15+1...so...why settle for 6?

Even the SR-1911, or other 1911 platforms in 10mm carry 8+1 and they're nice guns, slimmer than a revolver.

I'm actually a .41 fan as well. In modern loads, no, it's not much less than a .44 magnum, and there is no .41 special, since it was developed as a new cartridge. But Elmer Keith and Co. decided that the world needed something with a lot more punch than a .357, and designed the .41 to fit that bill while still being a bit less than the .44 magnum (which is really a .429 magnum...if the nomenclature made any sense... .38 special is .357" and .44 special is .429, so, an elongated .38 becomes a .357 magnum and an elongated .44 becomes...a .429, right??). Back when your choice was a wheelgun or a 1911, six rounds of .41 would be a good choice.

Let me also point out that a 4" Model 57 S&W has some very stout recoil. It may have been intended as a carry gun back before I was born...but many cops today could not qualify with a 4" .41. I find it demanding to shoot...and after a few cylinders full, I'm good...

Now, while the 10mm was intended to be "near .41 magnum" performance in an autoloading pistol, a good .41 is up around 1100 ftlbs, which is considerably more than a good 10mm, which is around 700 ftlbs. So, yeah, the 10mm is better than a lot of loads, but it's not quite living up to the hype when it was developed.

I see the "caliber simplification" strategy...and understand...as I've got cases of .22LR, 9mm, 10mm, .38 SPL, .38 Super, .45 ACP, and I am still wanting to pick up a S&W Model 57 in .41 and a S&W Model 29 in .44, which would bring my pistol caliber number up to 8...which is a lot to keep around, from a practical perspective. When I add a .357 someday, I'll be up to 9...

Actually, you bring up a good point with the SR1911.

Someone starting out who wants a 1911 type pistol, and a revolver, could go with this combo, and have a stouter set than say, a .38/357 revolver and a .45ACP pistol.

And the revolver could get a lot of practice with .40 ammo for less money.

A G20 (used 21 above which I believe is actually the same frame with a .45 slide setup) could apparently do the same thing with a lone wolf barrel. Doubt an SR1911 would be able,to run .40 though...

I like the SR-1911 - it's reasonably priced, and, from what I'm told, reliable. Another good pistol from Ruger.

I like the 10mm, and adding a new one wouldn't cause any more ammo proliferation.

The G20 and G21 are the same frame with different slides and magazines, so, if you really wanted, you could set up one pistol to shot three kinds of ammo, but I would just get three Glocks, a G20, G21 and G22 (the .40 full size). Each barrel is about $150 plus a bit of set-up, and a slide is pretty expensive.

There is one gun writer who has been shooting .40 out of his 10mm with no modifications. His point is that a pistol headspaces on the face of the slide, using the extractor to hold the round in place...and that the .40 will headspace just fine in the larger 10mm chamber since it's sitting on the slide, and not forward in the chamber...but I really don't think I would do that..I would use a dedicated .40 barrel.

There are several competing factors in all this discussion; round availability, ammo cost, inventory (ammo stash) space and cost, firearm cost, and overall cost of shooting.

From a clean sheet of paper, if one had no prior pistols, and if one wanted to stick with one kind of ammo, one could get both Rugers in 10mm and have two good-performing firearms.

My collection grew in a much more organic (well, unorganized, unstructured) way. I added a pistol I wanted when circumstances allowed. Now, I've got about a dozen, not including my wife's two, in several calibers. No thought was ever given to streamlining the calibers in the inventory and I think that's a good thing.

The craziness in ammo and firearms markets that took place about six years ago left the shelves of many gun stores completely bare of popular calibers. But I could find 10mm and .40 during the craze, even if 9mm, .45 ACP, and .22LR were completely cleared out. I consider a wide selection of calibers to be a bit of a hedge should we come up against an ammo shortage again in the future...of course, my stash is a hedge, as well, and a very large one at that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back