Ruger AR556 Model #8500 VS Model #8580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the LE model is exclusive only to LE so they made up a slightly different model # to it for easy ordering.

Ruger AR's are junk! I work with quite a few real operators and when they train with other LEO's etc there is almost always a failure with a Ruger AR.

My 8500 is my go to AR when it comes to grabbing one that I know won't have any issues for a few hours of plinking or at the range. Super reliable and not picky at all on ammo.

Ruger AR's are junk! I work with quite a few real operators and when they train with other LEO's etc there is almost always a failure with a Ruger AR.
Yeah, my POS Ruger AR 556 is such a piece of junk that in the 800 +/- rounds shot thru it, it's never had a failure. You think I should call Ruger to have them fix it? :rolleyes:

Yeah, my POS Ruger AR 556 is such a piece of junk that in the 800 +/- rounds shot thru it, it's never had a failure. You think I should call Ruger to have them fix it? :rolleyes:
800 rounds is nothing to brag about. Try running 10,000 rounds through it in a weekend using real training, not standing and shooting at a still target and then get back to me.

800 rounds is nothing to brag about. Try running 10,000 rounds through it in a weekend using real training, not standing and shooting at a still target and then get back to me.
I'm sorry I don't meet your criteria of what a REAL AR shooter SHOULD be. The last time I fired plenty of rounds was thru my M16A2. But, I really couldn't tell you my overall round count. Eight years in the Army, it was a few. Sorry, that's all I have.
What are you, SWAT, a mercenary, someone that likes to shoot an AR a lot?
Should I get back to you when I have shot more thru my Ruger?

Ah, I see...the "real operator" argument...please. Every Ruger I've ever owned has been a quality gun.

There are a lot of AR-15 snobs out there, claiming this kind, or that brand, are beneath them. Only a very expensive gun is fit for a "real operator", right?

I'll ask my neighbor what he thinks about Ruger ARs. He spent 34 years as a SEAL and is entitled to wear the Navy Cross. Not enough to be a "real operator", I imagine, but he does have some experience...

He's pretty straightforward about guns, and he would never call himself a "real operator".

Ever.

Wow you guys are overly sensitive to your Ruger's. I hope they never give you any trouble. I love Ruger's revolvers, most rifles and shotguns. But, their AR is less than seller especially for the price. Spend a little more and get a much better made rifle like a Colt, BCM, LMT, etc.

Wow you guys are overly sensitive to your Ruger's. I hope they never give you any trouble. I love Ruger's revolvers, most rifles and shotguns. But, their AR is less than seller especially for the price. Spend a little more and get a much better made rifle like a Colt, BCM, LMT, etc.
Legitimate question--what is it about Ruger AR's that makes them so unreliable or poor quality? Even the cheapest "parts gun" ARs I have built from mil-spec parts rock and roll every time I pull the trigger. I have no top tier ARs and have no need for them. Much like API spec'ed oil that just works, AR's meeting mil-spec on the parts are typically trouble free.

>

My ARs are from DPMS, Armalite, and Daniel Defense. The ones I've built were based on Aero Precision lowers. They've all been good.

So much depends on the combination of parts, and the selection of gas system, etc. that I have a hard time saying this, or that, brand is bad, or good.

It's easy to take a good rifle and ruin the build with one bad component, similarly, it's easy to fix a problem rifle by troubleshooting and replacing that one bad component.

However, I do strenuously object to the "real operator" argument.

The use of the words, "real operator" is pure puffery and chest-beating. I see it in gun stores, on ranges, and unfortunately, on the internet.

No, not really.
I have built 7 AR's in the past and am currently on my eighth (all I have is an 80% lower and a BCG).
Back in 2016 GRAB A GUN was having a sale on Ruger AR's ($469 + $5.99 shipping). I had made a few $$$ selling some guns so I decided to buy one for my son and I. What I had read about them they were great entry level AR's. Now, I could have bought a Colt, DD, BCM, etc. But, I thought buying an AR for my son as well was a great idea.
BTW, are you a high ranking member at that website named AR15DOTNET?

For starters, Ruger's barrel nut is prone to loosening when shot with any regularity. Plus, the barrels isn't chrome lined nor melonited. It isn't HP/MP tested. They have issues with the FSP coming loose. Their QA/QC is quite lacking. BCG isn't 158 Carpenter. Look, it's a basic patrol rifle and it should sell for around $599 tops. It's a great rifle for the monthly shooter who shoots a 100 rounds and is satisfied. But, no way would I fork over $800 for one.

$469 is a great price for a Ruger, leaves money to upgrade it to a decent rifle.
My son and I added Magpul SL furniture and a BCM Extractor Upgrade Kit to our Ruger's. The BCM kit really extracts SCA better than before.
When I first bought mine I upgraded the BCG to a ToolCraft. Now that I have started a new AR build the TC BCG is going into it.

For starters, Ruger's barrel nut is prone to loosening when shot with any regularity. Plus, the barrels isn't chrome lined nor melonited. It isn't HP/MP tested. They have issues with the FSP coming loose. Their QA/QC is quite lacking. BCG isn't 158 Carpenter. Look, it's a basic patrol rifle and it should sell for around $599 tops. It's a great rifle for the monthly shooter who shoots a 100 rounds and is satisfied. But, no way would I fork over $800 for one.
This is the bolt from my AR556.
Ruger states that each BCG is tested with its barrel.
AR556BOLT.jpeg

Ruger states that each BCG is tested with its barrel.
Just curious, are you aware of how that testing works, what it is designed to determine and how virtually worthless it is considering modern metallurgy and testing practices in use today? ( granted it did have one and given USG contracting, a necessary one)

It might not carry the weight it does today if people did.

A legitimate argument can be made that the testing itself has the potential to create more problems than it prevents.

Just curious, are you aware of how that testing works, what it is designed to determine and how virtually worthless it is considering modern metallurgy and testing practices in use today? ( granted it did have one and given USG contracting, a necessary one)

It might not carry the weight it does today if people did.

A legitimate argument can be made that the testing itself has the potential to create more problems than it prevents.
Which is why the MPI is ran after the HPT. I have several military books and manuals that describe the process at a high level. In essence, 70K PSI is used to test the bolt and barrel, then MPI is used to determine if there are any cracks that were produced. You are quite right the test **could** create more problems that it solves particularly if the MPI shows nothing, but the stress causes a premature failure at a later date.

This reminds me (to some degree) of an electrical hi-pot test, where an electrical component is destroyed to set the limits for the other components in the lot.

Ah, I see...the "real operator" argument...please. Every Ruger I've ever owned has been a quality gun.

There are a lot of AR-15 snobs out there, claiming this kind, or that brand, are beneath them. Only a very expensive gun is fit for a "real operator", right?

I'll ask my neighbor what he thinks about Ruger ARs. He spent 34 years as a SEAL and is entitled to wear the Navy Cross. Not enough to be a "real operator", I imagine, but he does have some experience...

He's pretty straightforward about guns, and he would never call himself a "real operator".

Ever.
He certainly doesn't sound like a "real operator" 🤤🤤🤤just kidding lol.

I'm on another board with a Military SNOB. Typical thinks whatever unit he's with is the most elite out there, best to ever have done it etc. Haven't seen that particular poster on that board in awhile, perhaps means either that person is deployed or something bad happened to them, but I agree, I love it when persons such as yourself which also have considerable military experience "pull their card."

One of the old Honda forums has at least two military SNOBS and other forms of snob as well and that's why forums like this simply make forums like that unnecessary.

Very little if any snobbery here and whatever there is is manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back