Ruger AR556 Model #8500 VS Model #8580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get one from Bravo Company Manufacturing if Ruger simply won't do. https://bravocompanymfg.com/weapon_systems/index.php

m_weapon_systems.jpg

Anything else would be uncivilized. - Gillette commercial

Which is why the MPI is ran after the HPT.
You read very well and that's exactly why a test like this wouldn't past muster today. Back then is was about all there was.

Its still a bogus test because it requires destruction to fail an NDT and MPI has literally ZERO value in any determination of any flaw that doesn't open to a surface. Any modern application would use UT, X-Ray and eddy current. There are lenty of stress risors that set the stage for a "crack" but not just "yet".

It could be damaged to the point of imminent failure and MPI wouldn't ever know it.
In essence, 70K PSI is used to test the bolt and barrel, then MPI is used to determine if there are any cracks that were produced.

Here's the other problem- its a 1 shot test and its measuring an indirect stressor. Charpy would be much superior.

In the "day" that's one thing but its right up there now with needing 36" for a goose gun now.

Look, the Ruger is a budget gun, like a Civic, or a Corolla is a budget car. Works well. Fits a need. There are more expensive options that perform better.

But bashing the budget option because it doesn’t perform like a Porsche just doesn’t make sense.
I was bashing it based on it's highly elevated price. My fault for not making that clear. It is in no way an $800 gun.

Ah, I see...the "real operator" argument...please. Every Ruger I've ever owned has been a quality gun.

There are a lot of AR-15 snobs out there, claiming this kind, or that brand, are beneath them. Only a very expensive gun is fit for a "real operator", right?

I'll ask my neighbor what he thinks about Ruger ARs. He spent 34 years as a SEAL and is entitled to wear the Navy Cross. Not enough to be a "real operator", I imagine, but he does have some experience...

He's pretty straightforward about guns, and he would never call himself a "real operator".

Ever.
The best is when SpecOps guys who aren't gun guys. There was a bonafide SEAL on another forum I frequent who didn't know the name of some guns they used simply because he didn't care to know or take the time to learn the names/configuration because he wasn't a gun guy. He knew how to load, fire, and take it apart to clean and that was it. It was a real Tropic Thunder moment. Lol

That's why it's nice where you have a pipeline for like Rangers and SF, that generally come from Infantry backgrounds.

Just curious, are you aware of how that testing works, what it is designed to determine and how virtually worthless it is considering modern metallurgy and testing practices in use today? ( granted it did have one and given USG contracting, a necessary one)

It might not carry the weight it does today if people did.

A legitimate argument can be made that the testing itself has the potential to create more problems than it prevents.
No, I am not aware of any of that. It's all over my head. I don't test anything, nor do I know what goes into testing. Member Jason stated that Ruger's barrel isn't HP/MP tested. Ruger states that their BCG is HPT/MPI tested with each barrel. Would they stamp their bolts with this if it were not true?
You are more educated at this than I am. I have NEVER made it an item to learn about this like you have. All I know is what Ruger states and I don't think they would state this were it not true. Sorry, again, that's all I have. If you want to take the time to educate me, PM me. Don't try to make yourself look like an expert here and mop the floor with my lack of intelligence. So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back