Royal Purple & thinning

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I am new here and love it. I have been into lubricaation as long as I have cars/Jeeps/Trucks, but in the last few years I have gotten more and more into it, its gotten to be an obsession. I was hoping some of you can sterr me to some more information about Royal Purple thinning? I switched a few year back from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple. I have had alot of good luck with that oil as well so to log into this site and see so much contradictory information. I just want to see why ppl on here dont like it, or at least I have not ran into many of the RP folks. Many bashers tho. So if you use RP and have had bad luck let me know and if yo have used it and had good luck let me know, and if anyone knows more about the thinning thing that would be awesome! Thanks!!

RP is good stuff in the correct context. I think it can be "overkill" in some applications. IMHO, it's first and foremost an oil designed to meet the demands of the automotive racing world. I think the consumer market (you and me) are a postive "side effect" to RP's marketing. RP lacks the "API starburst" but is API licensed. According to RP customer service, they lack some API credentials becuase RP chooses to add higher wear additives than API is comfortable with endorsing. Good or Bad? Jury is still out. We'll let you know at 300,000 miles or 15 years of prolonged use.

However I've used it, my brother uses it and we both have positive things to say. It's expensive, so unless you plan on extended OCI's, it can be pricey.

Their 5W-30 product does seem to thin out, like dino oil does, to a 20-weight fairly quickly.

Their 10W-30 product stays comfortably a 30-grade oil in an OCI.

Seems to be the trend......

I've used rp in my 01' zx2 for the last 145k miles total is 192k. Got it with 47k it was like NEW.... Using RP I have NEVER had it thin out or consume oil, no sludge, no visible wear on my cams when I changed the timing belt. Just an awesome oil. My recent thread about Amsoil was just me getting an itch and nothing wrong with RP. My last truck was a 95' Ranger 3.0 5spd that I got 413k before I sold it. The ranger ran M1, it would be 1/2 a qt off the full mark at 5k.. Synthetics are worth every penny in my book
Dusty

I'm not a Royal Purple loyalist by any means- I've run about 3 fills of it in 2 different applications, and use M1 and Rotella T6 most of the time. I had oil analysis done on two of those RP runs, and there was NO evidence of "thinning," even in an engine that sheds a lot of iron (regardless of oil) and has a flat cam and high spring pressures guaranteed to do a lot of shearing.

I think RP makes a very good oil, and I'm baffled by the animosity toward it... but then I'm also baffled as to why so many people drool over PU and PP- yes, they're a great bang for the buck, but that's all it really comes down to. Whether RP is worth the higher price or not... that's the user's call, and its often available at prices equivalent to M1, Edge, and the other commodity brands in quart bottles.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I think RP makes a very good oil, and I'm baffled by the animosity toward it... but then I'm also baffled as to why so many people drool over PU and PP- yes, they're a great bang for the buck, but that's all it really comes down to. Whether RP is worth the higher price or not... that's the user's call, and its often available at prices equivalent to M1, Edge, and the other commodity brands in quart bottles.

That's the issue with me, too. My experiences with RP have been completely positive. I had no issues with consumption. I don't do any UOAs, so thinning is neither here nor there.

As for cost, for me, it winds up being cheaper than most non-sale synthetics, and about on par for price with Mobil 1. Any criticisms I have about RP's price are equally valid for just about any synthetic I could use, which is why I'm back on conventional.

I am tempted to try the RP 15w-40 in the summer, since that's the viscosity specified for my Audi in summer, and it is one of the few 15w-40 synthetics readily available. Then again, I have plenty of Delvac 1300, which I'm sure will do the job just as well.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I think RP makes a very good oil, and I'm baffled by the animosity toward it... but then I'm also baffled as to why so many people drool over PU and PP- yes, they're a great bang for the buck, but that's all it really comes down to.

440, you are absolutely correct! There is a distinct unfounded bias here against RP, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. Posters blame RP for things not even related to oil, for cryin' out loud!
33.gif

You are also correct Pennzoil products are clearly drooled over, again I do not know why.
In any case, ignore the hatin' on RP, its a great oil with a better add pack than the majority of the others out there. Royal Purple rocks!
thumbsup2.gif

From my time here, I believe there are 2 distinct reasons why RP doesn't do well here. First a lot of the UOA's on RP are subpar or not to par with the shell products(since they have been brought up in this thread)or any other product for the matter of fact. The bigger issue people have with RP is the fact that it shears to a thinner grade in the UOA's. It is my assumption that a lot of people here equate thinning of oil to a poorly manufactured oil with a questionable durability due to this.

Oh, I use RP 5w20 in my 2009 TL and I am using RP 5w40 in my dads 2010 E350. I love the oil. It was 21 out tonite and my car was parked for 12 hours in the cold and when I started moving there was absolutely no roughness to the engine even at idle during warm-up. Very smooth just like my beer.

I've always gotten great UOA's with Royal Purple. So far has never thinned or sheared in my vehicles. My latest UOA was posted 8-31-10 (see post #2003201) from my 08 Impala SS and ran the 5W-30 grade RP. It did not thin and the TBN was 6.1 after 9,140 Miles. Ran this oil in temps from around 40 to over 100f and did WOT anywhere from two to 12 times per day on this highway run. (Passing many vehicles to make time deadlines) I have no complaints.

I do not think there is any more bias to RP to anything else on here. The biggest complants I have seen againist it is no an extended drain syn like M-1EP, AMSOIL, and Ect. But it sells at that price point for most people like were I live at it sells for over 8 dollars a qt and can only be found at Pep Boys and NAPA. That would be close to 70 dollars an Oil change for me. If I used PU, PP, M-1, M-1EP, Valvoline Synpower, or QSUD. This would be around 40 dollars. Is RP worth 30 dollars more an OCI to me? No.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I've used rp in my 01' zx2 for the last 145k miles total is 192k. Got it with 47k it was like NEW.... Using RP I have NEVER had it thin out or consume oil, no sludge, no visible wear on my cams when I changed the timing belt. Just an awesome oil. My recent thread about Amsoil was just me getting an itch and nothing wrong with RP. My last truck was a 95' Ranger 3.0 5spd that I got 413k before I sold it. The ranger ran M1, it would be 1/2 a qt off the full mark at 5k.. Synthetics are worth every penny in my book
Dusty

Have you done a UOA to tell that the oil did not shear?

If you price it at an auto parts chain,it`s priced with the rest of the synthetics. $8.99 for RP. M1 and Synpower are both $7.99 at Oreilly,which brings me to ask this question. I`ve noticed WM`s oil selection keeps getting smaller and smaller,and they`re moving towards carrying only "mainstream" oils. If we`re wanting more specialized oils,such as good synthetics that aren`t in a CAFE grade,are the autoparts chains eventually going to be the only place to get them? I`m going to stock up on M1 15W50 and Synpower while Oreilly and AAP have their sales going.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The biggest complants I have seen againist it is no an extended drain syn like M-1EP, AMSOIL, and Ect.

12,000 mile OCi's. According to their own literature.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The biggest complants I have seen againist it is no an extended drain syn like M-1EP, AMSOIL, and Ect.

smirk.gif

If a conventional go for 10,000 OCI and cost a 1/3 of the price is an extra 2,000 miles an extended drain?

smirk.gif

If a conventional go for 10,000 OCI and cost a 1/3 of the price is an extra 2,000 miles an extended drain?

Reread your first word.

I ran RP through the summer 8K oci. It really felt quieter and smoother than anything I've used. Subjective, yeah maybe.

smirk.gif

Just curious, how many times have you run conventional oil for 10,000 miles? In my 5 years at BITOG I really haven't seen many people running conventional oil for that long. Even people who have OLM's don't feel confident in running a conventional oil for 10,000 miles even though we all know that they are capable. Doing it is one thing and knowing that it can be done is totally another thing.

Originally Posted By: Wolfpack
First off I am new here and love it. I have been into lubricaation as long as I have cars/Jeeps/Trucks, but in the last few years I have gotten more and more into it, its gotten to be an obsession. I was hoping some of you can sterr me to some more information about Royal Purple thinning? I switched a few year back from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple. I have had alot of good luck with that oil as well so to log into this site and see so much contradictory information. I just want to see why ppl on here dont like it, or at least I have not ran into many of the RP folks. Many bashers tho. So if you use RP and have had bad luck let me know and if yo have used it and had good luck let me know, and if anyone knows more about the thinning thing that would be awesome! Thanks!!

Nothing wrong with it,if it's readily available,run it.

I wish I would've ran it longer,just for the fact people on this forum get so bent outta shape about this oil,it's hilarious
smile.gif

I have an oil testing kit and I plan on sending it off at the 5k mark. Thats is as long as I run it and if it is within spec at the OCI then it will remain my oil. I like it alot and had alot of great experience with it on my last vehicle. Ichanged over to it and I gained 1mpg, and I will say the engine did feel better. I hope it does well as I do like the oil and think it is a good product, but the tests will let me know if I am being fooled. Thanks for all of the input, and thanks to those who are not RP fans not flaming me, I know how hard it can be to hold back when you want to type something, but if there are some horror stories about the oil let me know?? I am interested in the good and the it's cool comments.

Howl>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back