Royal Purple Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I use M1 0-20 year round and does perform very well in -10 temps we see here in Illinois. However I started using M1 5-20 in the 70's(in Maine) for extreme cold starts. It worked very well.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Who said RP was good? Who said bose was good?

Brain washed by advertisers.

Lower tier product not even synthetic.

Let's not get crazy here, Bose headphones are fantastic! That's a discussion for another time and place though.
32.gif
grin.gif

I do believe that Royal Purple used to be a very good oil. A lot of people swear by it and for good reason (not just marketing hype). Even looking at their current HMX and HPS lineup, those are some good oils with a pretty well regarded Synerlec additive package.

In my opinion, the issue is with their API certified lineup. It's add pack is enormously underwhelming for the price (it's essentially SynPower which there's nothing wrong with, but it comes at $10-15 more per 5 quart jug) and apparently a largely GIII base stock. Since they were bought out, that line has become watered down to the point where buying their API lineup is essentially doing so out of brand loyalty.

If you want something readily available, Mobil 1 AFE oils have excellent cold temperature performance and can be had at CT or Walmart. If your vehicle calls for a 5w-20, use their 0w-20, if it calls for a 5w-30, use their 0w-30.

AMSOIL's 0w-xx products are another option, but you'd have to order them. If that's not an issue, then check our their website.

Am i right in thinking that the RP coats better then some of the other synthetics and it's would be beneficial in that it would coat the internals better? Does it have that advantage over the others? Then I can see that although the flow in cold weather isn't as good as Mobil 1, is that its coats better.

Confused with all this.

Originally Posted By: Tony67
Am i right in thinking that the RP coats better then some of the other synthetics and it's would be beneficial in that it would coat the internals better? Does it have that advantage over the others? Then I can see that although the flow in cold weather isn't as good as Mobil 1, is that its coats better.

Confused with all this.

No.

Confused with all this.

No need to be confused.

There's no evidence to support the idea that RP "coats" any better than any other oil. I would run your RP for a little while longer, then dump it and put in a 0W oil of a cheaper brand and run that through winter.

Well it's -9C right now in Winnipeg, so there isn't anything to worry about for the time being, if ever.

If you are concerned with flow if ambient temps reach -40C this winter, you may want to consider an oil pan heater in addition to using Mobil 1.

But for now, dumping the RP is just throwing money out the window. Is your car garage-parked overnight? If so, even less to be concerned about.

Nothing wrong with RP. Only problem with it is the price. There are better options for less money.

The focus should be less on oil, and more on a healthy battery.

50 degrees Fahrenheit, 9 mph wind, and 75% humidity. I wore a nice jacket on my way to the office this morning.
19.gif

I don't always plug the block heater in (or ever) and at work sometimes it sits outside in do freezing weather for 6-8 hours. My driving is a mix of city and highway.

I can just see this purple oil giving me long term engine issues if i continue using it in winter months. It's going to put a strain on the top part of the engine until the oil warms up which will be too late to avoid damage and i'll starvation for 5 minutes approx. Also put a strain on bearings.

Remember also that per the "W" grade requirements, oil that's been in service is allowed to slip a W grade and one grade only to "stay in grade".

With a 5W that starts at the thick end of the W spectrum...

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Well it's -9C right now in Winnipeg, so there isn't anything to worry about for the time being, if ever.

If you are concerned with flow if ambient temps reach -40C this winter, you may want to consider an oil pan heater in addition to using Mobil 1.

But for now, dumping the RP is just throwing money out the window. Is your car garage-parked overnight? If so, even less to be concerned about.

Nothing wrong with RP. Only problem with it is the price. There are better options for less money.

The focus should be less on oil, and more on a healthy battery.

It’s about the flow i’m concerned at lower temps. I realize that RP does work but in comparison to Mobil1 it doesn’t flow the way i want it to work in winter months. I don’t always plug in and park indoors. The answer to my question is to run the winter months with Mobil1, pretty simple solution. The temperature around these parts can dip down pretty quickly -9 today, -22 overnight, 2 days from now, who knows, it could be -27 or -34 celuis. Our climate up in this area of the country can jump to extremes at anytime between Nov-Mar.

Last edited:
The reality is, the video you cited is good, but not truly applicable in real world applications unless if you live in places like Churchill or Barrow, Alaska.

Again, if your primary concern is with flow, install an oil pan heater as the oil flow will still be considerably less on a sub zero day than it would be during the summer, even with Mobil 1.

I’ve used Mobil 1 5W30 exclusively for nearly seven years (with Wix/Napa Gold filters). I won’t use Royal Purple, because of its expense and because of its poor showing in cold-pour tests.

RP is more expensive than M1 and is sold only in U.S. quart bottles — 946 millilitres for $15.99, compared with M1’s 1,000-milliletre bottles, or one litre, for $13.99 — and in U.S. gallon jugs, containing 3.78 litres for $57.99. Mobil 1 jugs contain 4.4 litres for $51,99. At this posting, these are full-retail, pre-tax prices at Canadian Tire online.

But a couple of months ago I bought three 4.4-litre jugs of Mobil 1 for $25 each at PartsSource — Canadian Tire under another name. Periodically, M1 goes on sale there and at Canadian Tire, but PartSource’s M1 sale prices are lower. I don't know whether RP goes on sale.

Cold-pour is a huge concern; it’s impossible to plug in the block heater everywhere, especially for hours on end, and Winnipeg, after all, gets colder than its Mars namesake.
smile.gif

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/w...-city-1.3233261

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back