Royal Purple Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the filter is upside down, couldn't the oil still drain through the middle hole on the filter? I believe that side is going to the engine, but over time wouldn't it seep through?

On the M1 filter it might have been interesting to fill it with oil and turn it upside down with the middle hole plugged to see if it leaked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
If the filter is upside down, couldn't the oil still drain through the middle hole on the filter? I believe that side is going to the engine, but over time wouldn't it seep through?

It seems like it should, but it doesn't. I think the surface tension of the oil is enough to prevent it from leaking through the media and out the center tube when sitting base down. I've let filters sit base end down for a week and the guts of the filter was still full of oil. But if you stick something in the base inlet holes to raise the ADBV off the base plate, then all the oil will drain out pretty easily.

Like described in this thread: Link

Jerry just noticed that partznet.com is offering 10% off your entire order. put in discount code welcome10 that should make your shipping cost under $5 for orders under $40

or if you order 4 TRD filters, it will come out to about $10 shipped for each TRD filter. That's a awsome price for a filter that's virtually the same as the RP shown above.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It seems like it should, but it doesn't. I think the surface tension of the oil is enough to prevent it from leaking through the media and out the center tube when sitting base down. I've let filters sit base end down for a week and the guts of the filter was still full of oil. But if you stick something in the base inlet holes to raise the ADBV off the base plate, then all the oil will drain out pretty easily.

If oil is poured into the center hole to prefill a filter, it fairly quickly passes through the media. There is air above the oil. Surface tension may play a part in keeping the vacuum lock,but it seems it would mainly be the vacuum causing the oils to stay put. The adbv or the bypass valve have to seal well to keep the air lock. I think it is like plumbing venting, or putting a finger over a thin tube, to release the liquid in the tube, the finger is removed. If a filter is sitting off the car full of oil, it seems the bypass valve would the most likely air entry area,even more than the adbv, because it is exposed to air pressure and is on top of the oil in most cases. Air through the adbv would have to bubble up through the oil, like in a clogged sink due to a plugged air vent. When the adbv is pushed open I think that's what happens top let the oil out.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thanks for the cut and post
smile.gif

The purple ADBV is nice. Also, both the RP and M1 are made by Fram.

False. Mobil 1 and Royal purple oil filters are made by champion:

http://www.champlabs.com/content/royal-purple-oil-filters

http://www.champlabs.com/content/mobil-branded-filter-limited-warranty

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If oil is poured into the center hole to prefill a filter, it fairly quickly passes through the media. There is air above the oil. Surface tension may play a part in keeping the vacuum lock,but it seems it would mainly be the vacuum causing the oils to stay put.

Agreed, it's really both the surface tension and the vacuum created inside the closed volume. That's why I punch a hole in the top of the filter's dome on filters that are mounted vertically with the base down. Punching a hole in the dome enables the filter to drain completely before removal.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
No, Fram doesn't make M1 and RP filters which is correct. But both Fram and Champion Labs are owned by The Rank Group.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thanks for the cut and post
smile.gif

The purple ADBV is nice. Also, both the RP and M1 are made by Fram.

False. Mobil 1 and Royal purple oil filters are made by champion:

http://www.champlabs.com/content/royal-purple-oil-filters

http://www.champlabs.com/content/mobil-branded-filter-limited-warranty

Thank you for the additional information. I did not know that.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
In addition, the Ford Modular engine is very sensitive to ABDVs (start-up rattle) and I never had it once with the Ultras. YMMV!

Ironic - - my 2008 4.6 F150 rattles heavily for 1-2 seconds on startup.
53*F this morning, FRAM TG10575 (silver can), 5W-20 semi-syn Motorcraft oil.

I'm very happy as well with RP, I have a finicky engine and different filters have symptoms in my truck. But, if you really like RP then I would buy a case and park it somewhere. Who knows if they will survive the Champ labs bankruptcy. I bought a case just in case, would figure to need them anyways. 6 pack on Amazon, no real discount though, still almost 15 bucks each.

Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Looks very close to the fram ultra. I'd rather use ultra.

Especially considering the price difference.

Purple paint & anti-drainback valve are pretty, but aren't worth that much more.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
The Toyota OEM filters are typically well built however I think their efficiency is likely closer to a wix than a fram ultra. For the price they seem to be the best overall value unless you get an ultra and run it for 2 oci's.

I agree, OEM's are all I run on my Tacoma now after reading a thorough study on OEM's versus the aftermarket options.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
The Toyota OEM filters are typically well built however I think their efficiency is likely closer to a wix than a fram ultra. For the price they seem to be the best overall value unless you get an ultra and run it for 2 oci's.

I agree, OEM's are all I run on my Tacoma now after reading a thorough study on OEM's versus the aftermarket options.

Closer to the WIX XP, which isn't very impressive.

Since the Champ Labs bankruptcy was approved, Royal Purple and Mobil 1 oil filters are no longer listed on the company website. I bet that goes for the Castrol SFX filters they also made.

I guess we'll soon see who the new manufacturer is.

I bought a case of RP, anyhow figure to need them at some point. That had to be one messed up business model to need to shed 320 million dollars, especially for what the boutiques are selling those filters for. If I didn't have a finicky engine with the knocking, I wouldn't worry, too bad that isn't my reality.

I use RP filters too... They are expensive but I like how they market a "full synthetic" media that other filter manufacturers don't. I get them at pepboys for $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back