Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Thanks researcher and Trav!
I eneded up buying
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-travel-machinists-dial-indicator-63521.html
and
https://www.harborfreight.com/multipositional-magnetic-base-with-fine-adjustment-5645.html

hey you're welcome! Glad you got a really good deal on a very nice run-out gauge! I like the base you bought (same as mine). I like the fine adjustment where it helps you to pre-load the run-out gauge to get an accurate result.

You might also want to get some of those 3M Roloc "brake disc cleaning kit" that attaches to a drill. That way you can clean the hub to be 100% sure you'll get a nice almost ZERO run out result. It is possible, just takes a little work. Well worth it!

Could you please link the dial indicator?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
NAPA premium is their economy line. Napa Ultra Premium are the ones you want. Affinia makes most of NAPA's brake line and they also have a coated economy rotor option (FZN rotors) as well.

FCA specifies a maximum of .002" lateral runout for the front and rear rotors when installed. I find that many economy rotors are not able to achieve this spec due to the quality of the machining. With the premium rotors you are usually able to achieve this without issues.

I encourage you to buy a dial indicator from HF and measure the lateral runout of the installed rotors. Excessive runout will cause premature vibration to develop.

A HF indicator could easily be that .002 off.

Also, your measurements are only going to be as good as the way you're holding the parts.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

NAPA premium is their economy line. Napa Ultra Premium are the ones you want. Affinia makes most of NAPA's brake line and they also have a coated economy rotor option (FZN rotors) as well.

FCA specifies a maximum of .002" lateral runout for the front and rear rotors when installed. I find that many economy rotors are not able to achieve this spec due to the quality of the machining. With the premium rotors you are usually able to achieve this without issues.

I encourage you to buy a dial indicator from HF and measure the lateral runout of the installed rotors. Excessive runout will cause premature vibration to develop.

Also, your measurements are only going to be as good as the way you're holding the parts.

Accuracy of instruments is a fair concern. I have compared multiple HF dial indicators to other brands and have not found any meaningful differences in their accuracy, so I feel comfortable recommending them for this purpose.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Accuracy of instruments is a fair concern. I have compared multiple HF dial indicators to other brands and have not found any meaningful differences in their accuracy, so I feel comfortable recommending them for this purpose.

Very interesting.

Good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back