RockAuto now sells batteries

I received the battery today (5 days late) that I ordered from RockAuto. Unfortunately, my fear of shipping damage was realized.

They packaged the battery with one side of it in direct contact with the side of the box, and the battery arrived with a crushed corner. I can't believe anyone would pack a 40-pound car battery that way.

I decided to return it for a refund.

Apparently, RockAuto's return shipping labels don't allow for FedEx to pick up the package. I emailed RockAuto and asked if they could arrange for FedEx to pick it up so I wouldn't have to lug it to a FedEx location, but they steadfastly refused. I thought that would be a rather small concession after sending me a very poorly packaged battery that arrived late and damaged, but they disagreed. The only thing they offered was to reimburse me for up to their cost of the return shipping label ($17.46) if I wanted to pay for return shipping myself instead of using their label, but FedEx quoted me over $80 for ground service with pickup.

The only positive thing I can say is the battery was very fresh. It had an 8/20 sticker.

I'm pretty disappointed with RockAuto. I thought they were better than this.

Battery_Damage.jpg

Battery_Damage_2.jpg

Last edited:
Rockauto needs their version of Amazon Prime... "Rockauto Pro for $100/year with free shipping" or something like that. Then this could be a sweet deal.

Looks like they don't charge a core so you can take your old one in to the auto parts store and get a $10 gift card for it. Add in the 5% discount codes that are everywhere for RA and it's not a bad price. Check this out, same exact battery, different sticker:

tGvWlFq.png

But warranty exchanges would be a disaster, and I think the convenience of getting it the same day (usually batteries just die, so you need it right away) is worth a few extra bucks.

You might say "but, but, it's an AGM battery, they don't fail under warranty" uh yeah, they do. Not nearly as frequently as regular batteries but it happens.

Yeah Rockauto prime for $69.99 a year, but to qualify for free shipping on each order you need to watch 5 Scotty Kilmer videos before you can send your order and fast forward is disabled. LOL.

I found this thread while Googling for information and others' experiences concerning ordering car batteries from RockAuto. I didn't find any firsthand accounts of buying batteries from them, but I went ahead and ordered one yesterday. I thought I would share my experience here, whether it turns out good or bad. I know this thread is a few years old, but it seems like as good of a place as any to share my RockAuto battery buying experience because it appears high in Google search results.

I need to replace an AutoCraft (Advance Auto's brand made by Johnson Controls Power Solutions, which is now Clarios) Gold group 85 battery that failed last week and was manufactured in October 2015. If not for the risk of potentially exposing myself to the coronavirus, I would have probably gone to Walmart and bought a one-year-warranty group 24F battery for $54.88, since that's the closest one-year-warranty battery size to a group 85 they sell that will fit my application. I would rather not pay $100 more for a flooded battery at an auto parts store for an extra couple years of warranty. Since I couldn't find anyone who would ship me a conventional flooded battery for a resonable cost, and since I've never owned an AGM car battery, I decided to splurge and order one online.

I considered Northstar and Odyssey batteries, which seem to have among the best reputations, but decided they were too expensive. I also considered an Optima, but I found a disproportionate number of reviews and forum posts from people who were very dissatisfied with them. I ended up choosing between a DieHard Platinum AGM group 35 (which I suspect is made by Clarios) from Advance Auto and a Deka Intimidator AGM group 35/85 sold by RockAuto and made by East Penn. The two were priced very similarly after shipping, core charges, sales tax, and coupons were considered.

I read that DieHard Platinum AGM batteries sold by Sears were re-badged Odysseys, but that information was several years old, and the DieHard brand has since been sold to Advance Auto. Comparing pictures of DieHard AGM batteries sold at Advance Auto with AGM batteries made by Clarios, I believe Advance Auto's DieHard AGM batteries are made by Clarios. Because East Penn seems to have a better reputation than Clarios, I decided to go with a Deka from RockAuto. I chose RockAuto to order from because they had the best price I could find and I've been satisfied with previous RockAuto orders.

Last month I bought from Advanced Auto a DieHard Platinum AGM Group 35, for $199.99 - 20% coupon, so -$40 = $159.99.
Previous battery was an X2Power, same group size. New battery is 650CCA, old one was 800CCA. 3YR vs 5YR warranty.
The X2Power is a real joint separator to carry, the DieHard is lighter. The X2Power made it 5 1/2 years.

Not sure if the car will make it another 3 years, and, AA is about a mile from work, while
Batteries Plus is 23 miles.

Remember that Rockauto doesn't ship anything. Independent warehouses do. I just got 12 quarts of Red Line oil from Jegs and it was so over packaged it was ridiculous. Plastic shrink over the bottle necks. each bottle in a plastic bag. All the bolttles in another plastic bag in a box which was in a plastic bag inside another box with a mile of paper and inflate a bags. Filled up my trash can unwrapping those twelve bottles. I paid $117 for the case with free shipping. Jegs couldn't have made any profit on it. Sign of things to come and packaging rules from the carriers.
If Rockauto sells Varta batteries I will be using them even more than I do now.

I've only ordered small 11 and 14lb AGM batteries.

They were not packaged all that great, but light enough they were not able to damage themselves when mistreated by irritated delivery persons. and middlemen.

Not particularly fresh batteries, 4 and 6 months old when I got them if I interpreted the date codes correctly.

I'd have zero confidence in a full size Lead acid battery arriving safely. My Northstar group 31 weighs 77 lbs or something crazy.
I'd not be wanting to task a delivery person to safely deliver such a heavy awkward load.

I'd be interested to see how that damaged battery performed if it arrived with ~12.8v, not that I'd trust it for vehicular use, but if they said keep it well send a new one, I'd cycle it in my workshop powering lights and fans at night.

Kind of asinine they want it back. IMO. waste of fuel and packaging and effort and time.

I've had no issues getting Odyssey batteries from battery mart. Group 48 is 50lb and no issues going on 2 yrs. .
Several powersport batteries shipped also zero issues.

I've only ordered small 11 and 14lb AGM batteries.

They were not packaged all that great, but light enough they were not able to damage themselves when mistreated by irritated delivery persons. and middlemen.

Not particularly fresh batteries, 4 and 6 months old when I got them if I interpreted the date codes correctly.

I'd have zero confidence in a full size Lead acid battery arriving safely. My Northstar group 31 weighs 77 lbs or something crazy.
I'd not be wanting to task a delivery person to safely deliver such a heavy awkward load.

I'd be interested to see how that damaged battery performed if it arrived with ~12.8v, not that I'd trust it for vehicular use, but if they said keep it well send a new one, I'd cycle it in my workshop powering lights and fans at night.

Kind of asinine they want it back. IMO. waste of fuel and packaging and effort and time.

I did test the battery with my Solar BA9 tester. It arrived at 12.7V, which the tester considers a 90% state of charge for a flat-plate AGM battery. The tester also measured the internal resistance to be 3.63 milliohms, which it equates to 684 CCA.

After shipping it back, I noticed in the second picture I posted above that the case appears to have a small crack. I imagine the battery would perform well initially until the damage caught up with it. I would think that cell would dry out from evaporation if it is indeed cracked. I also would expect an increased likelihood of a short developing, since the plates and separators in that cell are probably damaged with that amount of deformation. Of course I'm just guessing. It might work 10 years like that for all I know.

I emailed East Penn pictures of the damage and asked if the warranty would remain intact and if they advised using the battery. As I expected they advised against using it and said the warranty wouldn't cover it. I checked with them mainly in case RockAuto tries to weasel out of refunding my money by claiming the damage doesn't affect the battery's operation. I have to say I was impressed that East Penn answered my email quickly and helpfully.

I also thought it was asinine they wanted it back. It probably cost them more in shipping than the battery is worth for recycling.

I don't see a problem with RockAuto selling batteries, if the shipped price is good then why not. They're good with returning damaged or mis-packaged parts (even in Canuckistan) , having to drop it off at Fedex shouldn't be a problem unless you live way in the sticks.

I don't see a problem with RockAuto selling batteries, if the shipped price is good then why not. They're good with returning damaged or mis-packaged parts (even in Canuckistan) , having to drop it off at Fedex shouldn't be a problem unless you live way in the sticks.

If they refund my my money without any further hassle, I'll consider reordering the battery from them. Maybe my battery-buying experience from them wasn't typical.

I went ahead and ordered another battery from RockAuto with the hope my previous experience wasn't typical. I ordered it last Friday evening, it shipped Monday, and I received it today (Thursday). It shipped from a different location than the last battery, but the packing job was surprisingly even worse. The battery arrived with impact damage to one of the corners again, although it is less severe than the first battery I ordered. Maybe this is simply the best that can be expected from RockAuto and FedEx.

I went ahead and paid about $15 more for the Bosch branded battery this time, since it was in stock and comes with a 4-year warranty instead of 2.5 years.

I'm trying to decide now whether I should return the battery. My main concern is they might use this damage to justify denying a future warranty claim. I would hate to discover this invalidated the warranty after paying so much for this battery and paying return shipping for the warranty return.

What do you guys think—keep it or return it?

Packaging_Redacted.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0090.jpg

I emailed RockAuto the pictures I posted here and conveyed my warranty concerns. I was hoping they could answer whether the warranty is still in tact. But all I got in reply was this canned response. I doubt they even read my email.

I think I'm just going to return the battery and give up on buying a battery from RockAuto. They obviously don't know how to ship batteries or provide adequate customer service. I wonder what percentage of batteries they sell get returned with damage.

I've had nothing but good luck in the past ordering small, lightweight parts from RockAuto, but this battery situation is very frustrating. I gave them two chances, and they failed me both times. On top of that, they really don't seem to care. RockAuto won't be my first choice for anything going forward.

email response.jpg

I'm pretty sure the answers to all you questions and the ability to upload your images and report your problem is done with their Order status & returns page.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the answers to all you questions and the ability to upload your images and report your problem is done with their Order status & returns page.

Perhaps, but I was hoping to get an answer in writing from them whether the damage might be used to deny a future warranty claim. I figured if they were willing to stand behind the warranty in spite of the damage, I would keep the battery instead of going through the hassle of returning it. That seemed like the easiest and cheapest solution for both RockAuto and me. Unfortunately, they wouldn't discuss the warranty.

I ended up contacting Bosch and asking them the same thing, and all they would say is they recommend returning the battery. I followed Bosch's recommendation, and shipped the battery back today, but it took going back and forth a few times with RockAuto's customer service to persuade them to pay the shipping.

I literally LOL'd at one of their responses (pictured below) where they seemed to think they did a good job packing the battery. I can't comprehend how any reasonable person can think that's an acceptable way to ship a 40-pound car battery.

Funny_RA_Reply.jpg

Such Pictures prove the people tasked with packaging, don't really care. Either that, or they just have little grasp of physics, and / or are improperly trained, or are so rushed that taking the extra steps to prevent shipping damage is just not possible, or some combination of all three.

I've received so many packages where they stuff a box in a box, and pack it only so the box inside the larger box cannot rattle, instead of the product's box, in the middle of the shipping box, surrounded and basically floating in packing material and the product itself kept from rattling inside the product box. Its usually fine with light products, but once the product has significant mass, packaging becomes so much more important.

Recently, On a boat I am working on, we needed 8 new deep cycle 'house' batteries. Boat owner told me to do my thing, tell his guy what to order.

I have dealt with one battery guy before with Concorde/Lifeline AGM batteries. and one Crown AGM too. He delivered them (concorde) fresh from the factory in West Covina, about 90 minutes north of me. One cannot do better than that. The Concord batteries arrive in thick boxes, and each corner of each battery has the same dual layered thickness of cardboard, bent and doubled on each corner, and a piece of foam to prevent the terminals from touching the box top, should it be turned up side down, soaked in water and compressed.

This guy, this time, when dealing with the guy in charge of ordering, tried to sell him cheaper GC-2 AGM batteries( likely dusty and old) he had in stock, saying he did not have any Lifeline gpl-4ct's in stock. Ordering guy asked me and I was like NO, Boat owner wants top quality and the other two banks of starting batteries are already Lifelines, we need Lifeline so all share the same charge profile and temperature compensation.

I found an online outfit saying free shipping of the Lifeline GPL-4ct batteries, and Amazon had them too but for 60$ more per battery, and a few other places but with significant shipping costs. I provided several links to the guy in charge of ordering and said, your choice, but recommended calling back guy number one and saying meet this price for the Lifelines.

They arrived 3 days later, on a pallet, 528 LBs of battery from online vendor. Shrink wrapped. freight Driver complained at residential delivery. He had electrified pallet carrier.
Oh well.

Each Lifeline GPL-4CT ( 6 volt golf cart battery---GC-2 BCI size) arrived in the same thick white cardboard boxes as the single battery delivered to me 5 years earlier( Lifeline gpl-31xt). Each and every edge and corner of battery protected with doubled cardboard and a foam pad should they be turned upside down.

3 of the 8 boxes showed damage when I removed the saran wrap and separated them on delivery.

I immediately pulled all batteries with damaged boxes and the batteries showed Zero signs of damage adjacent to the damaged cardboard, and we sent the annoyed delivery driver off.

The undamaged boxes, are so well built, I kept them. For what, I am not sure but they are too good to recycle

Shipping batteries is not rocket surgery.

Rock Auto, or other purveyors selling them online, need to step up and have people who have the strength to actually protect them properly, and make the boxes easy to manhandle, so delivery drivers don't just slide and kick and drop them.

20201003_210146.jpg

These are Mil-spec 6v AGM batteries, but each serial pair rests at 13.16v +/- 0.02 fully charged @ 75f+.
Each 6v battery was 6.56 to 6.58v on arrival.
Each 220 AH pair took about 3.9 Amp hours from my adjustable voltage power supply, before amps stopped tapering at 14.3v @ 77f.

That's 2/0 tinned marine cable with heavy duty tinned lugs double crimped with an FTZ 94284 and covered with dual wall, adhesive lined heatshrink .

3520 CCA, 528 Lbs, 880 AH capacity,

and

OSHA approved footwear.......;).

Owners of AGMs should know they are not magical physics defying lead acid batteries. These Lifelines would not be worth their premuim price, If the charging sources were not more than adequate to recharge them properly, which means quickly return them to a true full state of charge. Something Vehicles voltage regulators are not designed to allow.

The shore power charger, is only 100 amps but is infinitely programmable to insure full charge even if it cannot meet the specified recharge rate in deep cycle duty.

20% minimum, as lifeline specs in deep cycle duty (and more is better), is 176 amps for 880 Ah of battery.

Enter the Leece Neville 320 amp alternator J-180 mount behemoth, here pictured next to a 120 amp Nippon Denso small frame Automotive alternator for a size reference.

I've converted the Leece to external voltage regulation, and have a programmable voltage regulator which will control it. But mostly to throttle it back to keep the Dual V belts from smoking when the batteries are depleted. Each pair could easily suck up 150+ amps when depleted to 50%, and there are 4 pair.

I did not get the go ahead to convert to 10 rib serpentine belts, which could handle 320 amps output......

Do you hear the maniacal laughter in the distance?

There's a second Detroit Diesel I can add a second behemoth alternator too, as well.

Online ordering is great, but one is at the mercy of whomever packages it, and who delivers it and all the people in between.

Vendors should insure those people in between can not easily damage them.

If they can't, then they should not get one's business.

Attachments

• 20201001_132757.jpg
    20201001_132757.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
Such Pictures prove the people tasked with packaging, don't really care. Either that, or they just have little grasp of physics, and / or are improperly trained, or are so rushed that taking the extra steps to prevent shipping damage is just not possible, or some combination of all three.

I've received so many packages where they stuff a box in a box, and pack it only so the box inside the larger box cannot rattle, instead of the product's box, in the middle of the shipping box, surrounded and basically floating in packing material and the product itself kept from rattling inside the product box. Its usually fine with light products, but once the product has significant mass, packaging becomes so much more important.

Recently, On a boat I am working on, we needed 8 new deep cycle 'house' batteries. Boat owner told me to do my thing, tell his guy what to order.

I have dealt with one battery guy before with Concorde/Lifeline AGM batteries. and one Crown AGM too. He delivered them (concorde) fresh from the factory in West Covina, about 90 minutes north of me. One cannot do better than that. The Concord batteries arrive in thick boxes, and each corner of each battery has the same dual layered thickness of cardboard, bent and doubled on each corner, and a piece of foam to prevent the terminals from touching the box top, should it be turned up side down, soaked in water and compressed.

This guy, this time, when dealing with the guy in charge of ordering, tried to sell him cheaper GC-2 AGM batteries( likely dusty and old) he had in stock, saying he did not have any Lifeline gpl-4ct's in stock. Ordering guy asked me and I was like NO, Boat owner wants top quality and the other two banks of starting batteries are already Lifelines, we need Lifeline so all share the same charge profile and temperature compensation.

I found an online outfit saying free shipping of the Lifeline GPL-4ct batteries, and Amazon had them too but for 60$ more per battery, and a few other places but with significant shipping costs. I provided several links to the guy in charge of ordering and said, your choice, but recommended calling back guy number one and saying meet this price for the Lifelines.

They arrived 3 days later, on a pallet, 528 LBs of battery from online vendor. Shrink wrapped. freight Driver complained at residential delivery. He had electrified pallet carrier.
Oh well.

Each Lifeline GPL-4CT ( 6 volt golf cart battery---GC-2 BCI size) arrived in the same thick white cardboard boxes as the single battery delivered to me 5 years earlier( Lifeline gpl-31xt). Each and every edge and corner of battery protected with doubled cardboard and a foam pad should they be turned upside down.

3 of the 8 boxes showed damage when I removed the saran wrap and separated them on delivery.

I immediately pulled all batteries with damaged boxes and the batteries showed Zero signs of damage adjacent to the damaged cardboard, and we sent the annoyed delivery driver off.

The undamaged boxes, are so well built, I kept them. For what, I am not sure but they are too good to recycle

Shipping batteries is not rocket surgery.

Rock Auto, or other purveyors selling them online, need to step up and have people who have the strength to actually protect them properly, and make the boxes easy to manhandle, so delivery drivers don't just slide and kick and drop them.

View attachment 31666

These are Mil-spec 6v AGM batteries, but each serial pair rests at 13.16v +/- 0.02 fully charged @ 75f+.
Each 6v battery was 6.56 to 6.58v on arrival.
Each 220 AH pair took about 3.9 Amp hours from my adjustable voltage power supply, before amps stopped tapering at 14.3v @ 77f.

That's 2/0 tinned marine cable with heavy duty tinned lugs double crimped with an FTZ 94284 and covered with dual wall, adhesive lined heatshrink .

3520 CCA, 528 Lbs, 880 AH capacity,

and

OSHA approved footwear.......;).

Owners of AGMs should know they are not magical physics defying lead acid batteries. These Lifelines would not be worth their premuim price, If the charging sources were not more than adequate to recharge them properly, which means quickly return them to a true full state of charge. Something Vehicles voltage regulators are not designed to allow.

The shore power charger, is only 100 amps but is infinitely programmable to insure full charge even if it cannot meet the specified recharge rate in deep cycle duty.

20% minimum, as lifeline specs in deep cycle duty (and more is better), is 176 amps for 880 Ah of battery.

Enter the Leece Neville 320 amp alternator J-180 mount behemoth, here pictured next to a 120 amp Nippon Denso small frame Automotive alternator for a size reference.

I've converted the Leece to external voltage regulation, and have a programmable voltage regulator which will control it. But mostly to throttle it back to keep the Dual V belts from smoking when the batteries are depleted. Each pair could easily suck up 150+ amps when depleted to 50%, and there are 4 pair.

I did not get the go ahead to convert to 10 rib serpentine belts, which could handle 320 amps output......

Do you hear the maniacal laughter in the distance?

There's a second Detroit Diesel I can add a second behemoth alternator too, as well.

Online ordering is great, but one is at the mercy of whomever packages it, and who delivers it and all the people in between.

Vendors should insure those people in between can not easily damage them.

If they can't, then they should not get one's business.

I can picture Crocodile Dundee saying "That's not an alternator...THAT's an alternator." :p

I agree with you on all counts. Maybe battery manufacturers should insist on prepackaging batteries sold to mail order outfits like RockAuto unless they can demonstrate they understand how to package them properly and will do so.

I think packaging has gotten worse in general since the advent high volume online retailers. I receive lots of things now that are just thrown loosely in a box or with a few deflated airbags that were popped in transit. Fortunately, most of the time the item is okay because it was lightweight or not particularly fragile. I remember companies packing things better in the pre-Amazon days, but maybe the problem is just more obvious now that I order more stuff online.

I wonder if some of this bad packaging is calculated risk on the part of the retailers. Maybe they think the money they save in aggregate on packing materials and time spent packing boxes properly adds up to more money than they lose on damaged shipments and customer dissatisfaction.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson. I'm just going to stick to cheaper locally sourced flooded batteries for automotive SLI applications.

I ordered a new 12-volt battery for my 2012 Volt and it had no packaging on the top of the battery other than the cardboard. It was minimally packaged on all sides. FedEx must have dropped it at its top at some point and pushed the top terminal down inside the battery. Around here there are Dollar General stores everywhere and they are now FedEx drop off points, so sending it back was easy. The next one was only slightly better packaged and arrived in good shape. I am hesitant to order another battery from them.

Back