Right angle electric ratchet

I Have owned the Makita 12V version for over 3 years now and enjoy using it. A big plus is it comes with both 1/4 & 3/8" anvils so no need to purchase 2 different ones, I feel 1/2" drive would be about useless in a cordless ratchet.
AIL4fc_cXIuLVfCJQQplRA7B6-QW_lvguLSYtZ_nTieu2mfE36-0UiWl7dah-EJLcvuYfFPqlrSdW9EqFN4keNtsGOyZR3KTgtoLq-cY3Jsamwg7zfpS9uEoj6l_IGJCDnN_3Sgm71-YaMjs4ERu3SSTGfhXew=w1341-h894-s-no

Yes and no I suppose, the speed of the M12 is nice, running out 6MM fender liner bolts is a breeze, behind the dash panel with the right extensions and adapters, etc.

But again, the M12 has a fair amount of torque, it won't strip a M10 bolt, but can really crank them down.

If you know it will fit and already know what configuration you need, it's a time saver if you want to justify a purchase.

But I also agree that a hand ratchet with the right extensions will do the same job, but why do we use these power tools for the most part? To mainly save time and make the job easier when needed...can very well be a preference thing.
For small bolts like m6 with a 10mm head I use this, at first I though it was a toy but it has become invaluable, on the lowest setting it is perfect for dash and console work and on high it does anything needing 15ft.b or less.

For small bolts like m6 with a 10mm head I use this, at first I though it was a toy but it has become invaluable, on the lowest setting it is perfect for dash and console work and on high it does anything needing 15ft.b or less.

Yep I keep an M12 screwdriver on my cart for the same reason. I'll set the clutch really low and run in dash screws without a care

Dewalt also makes a 12V line.

Which again requires another battery. Now I’m not opposed to different batteries if you get a combo for a deal. For most diy use it’s irrelevant. It’s not like somebody is going to rapidly wear down a battery from ratcheting.

DeWalt has a nice cordless screwdriver that is 12v so if you already have one it’s a consideration. That said, I personally prefer the rounded 12V batteries of Bosch and Milwaukee.

I agree, I have it's older brother...probably gets used the most for most small fasteners.

Screenshot_20230730-213435_Gallery.jpg

Which again requires another battery. Now I’m not opposed to different batteries if you get a combo for a deal. For most diy use it’s irrelevant. It’s not like somebody is going to rapidly wear down a battery from ratcheting.

DeWalt has a nice cordless screwdriver that is 12v so if you already have one it’s a consideration. That said, I personally prefer the rounded 12V batteries of Bosch and Milwaukee.

With DeWalt....IMO,.their 20V lineup is fantastic. However for the smaller stuff...I'm leaning more to Milwaukee. Since it's a different battery anyway with DeWalt, I'm fine with mixing up platforms.

I did look at their 12V ratchet, but was too big for what I needed it for, so I went with the M12.
20V Dewalt and the M12's pair well for me so far, but these Bosch drivers keep kickin so haven't gone with the M12 yet for those.

I agree, I have it's older brother...probably gets used the most for most small fasteners.

View attachment 169859

With DeWalt....IMO,.their 20V lineup is fantastic. However for the smaller stuff...I'm leaning more to Milwaukee. Since it's a different battery anyway with DeWalt, I'm fine with mixing up platforms.

I did look at their 12V ratchet, but was too big for what I needed it for, so I went with the M12.
20V Dewalt and the M12's pair well for me so far, but these Bosch drivers keep kickin so haven't gone with the M12 yet for those.
I have a number of dewalt 20v items, drills, oscillating tools, inflator, radios… I do like their stuff. I also have Milwaukee m12/m18 because they had a better automotive oriented line…

As I was doing the timing belt on my car the other weekend, there was a few spots where it was working by complete feel, and thankfully I could get either a ratcheting wrench or a ratchet in there--but it was like, move 3 clicks and reset, take a few minutes to work the bolt in. I watch plenty of videos of these electric low power ratchets, and I have to ask, are they just nice to have and useful in some spots, but not likely as good as I'm hoping?

I have the Makita 18V line of tools, and was thinking of this, with one of my low ampacity batteries (for least size).
View attachment 169379
I like staying in the same battery stable personally, so I’d probably go with Makita if they have the tools you need. I bought a Makita impact with battery and charger many years ago and had good success with it. Makita makes great tools for the most part.

I found a comparable Dewalt impact with better lighting on sale and bought it instead of getting a new Makita battery. I’ve been very pleased with it’s performance. I have several other Dewalt tools so it makes sense for me to stay with DeWalt.

Milwaukee cordless tools are made in the same factory as Ryobi and Ridgid in Taiwan. They’ve made a lot of inroads with the trades crowd by offering useful tools and the ability to stay within the same battery line. If you turn wrenches, Milwaukee’s best competitor at this point in time is Dewalt, IMO.

However, if you don’t care about the battery and you want the best cordless right angle ratchet right now, then look at the Skil PWR CORE 12V 3/8” ratchet. Torque Test channel on YouTube did a test of 2023 models recently and it ranked very well.

Best Right Angle Impact in 2023? New Models v Milwaukee, Kobalt & SKIL

Is TTI building their stuff in Taiwan? Pretty sure it's China?

Despite what the CCP will tell you, there is a small (er, HUGE) difference

I have the Milwaukee M12 3/8 ratchet. It works well for many things, but for really tight spaces none of these battery ratchets really do that well since they are bulky and awkward.
I agree and I think this is the next frontier for tools like this, ie trying to get the size down.

I'm not sure the manufacturers are really that focused on this issue, but they should be. Also a flex head ratchet might be cool and might be a way to mitigate some access restrictions

For me, the ratchet really shines when I need to hold something in place with one hand and only have one hand to snug a fastener without having to worry about the backdrag of the socket overpowering the friction of the fastener or anything. And it does so quickly.

Never really looked into the country of manufacture. Wrongly assumed it was Taiwan since TTI is based in Taiwan. Nothing against Taiwan, but I try to avoid made by the CCP whenever possible. It's hard to escape though. My Dewalt impact and drill were both manufactured in the US with 'global materials'.

Incidentally, like you OP, I've been looking for a right angle ratchet and an full size impact. Dewalt's newer impacts plus their Powerstack battery seems like the best of the bunch in terms of torque at the moment.

I just work on my personal stuff in the garage but I have a Hercules extended reach 3/8 and it's awesome for everything I've needed it for. And extra batteries are 20-25 bucks being 12v. When I have a need for a 1/4 inch drive I'm buying the non-extended reach.

M12 Fuel ratchet is great around my garage. I use it often. I’ve had two screws fall out of it. The repair place said I wasn’t the first.

I use it on my snowmobile often. I find it very handy. I just used it to remove the three top shock bolts on the Silverado.

Never really looked into the country of manufacture. Wrongly assumed it was Taiwan since TTI is based in Taiwan. Nothing against Taiwan, but I try to avoid made by the CCP whenever possible. It's hard to escape though. My Dewalt impact and drill were both manufactured in the US with 'global materials'.
TTI is based in Hong Kong.

I have a HyperTough cordless ratchet that I bought for $34 last year as a proof of concept to see if it was worth spending more. It’s still going strong despite being dropped a million times, submerged in oil, etc. It has become my go to 3/8” ratchet. Absolutely phenomenal time and knuckle saver for motorcycle stuff where things aren’t torqued down much beyond 16.5 ft lbs and are behind fairings etc. when this goes I’ll probably bend over and get a Milwaukee 12v cordless since I like the bayonet style battery for bikes vs the big dingus battery on the Ryobi or DeWalt.

They make impacting air ratchets as well which might work better for car stuff since the torque values are higher.

Back