Ridiculous censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
'cause 'murica, land of the free.
cool.gif

Because some people are so undisciplined in their thought and speech that they cannot compose a sentence without using those words, or because they think they look "more cool" doing so, or because they have no rational technical argument and use those words to obfuscate that fact. Or sometimes they lose control because they've been shot down on some silly comment and lash out instead of admitting they were wrong. It's usually one of those
smile.gif

You know what I wish? I wish the censor function worked better on repeat offenders that keep coming back under new names after they've been previously banned. That would be a big help.

I don't think it is censorship at all. I do like how threads are forced to stay on topic. I can go on here on my breaks at work and not have to worry about what will pop up.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Why does this [censored] forum have so many [censored] censored words, it's really [censored] annoying.

I'm going out on a limb but perhaps so that people would not use said words here?
grin.gif

A little help for our overseas (and many here in the US) friends.

Censorship is when the government does it.

When a forum does it, I wouldn't call it censorship, it's a standard of conduct.

If someone came into my home using many of the same words censored here, they would not be welcome in my home.

It's my home, I get to set the standard.

If you want to use that language in your home, I can't prevent it.

The forum works the same way. It's a digital home and the "homeowner" has the right to establish the standards of conduct for those who are in the "home."

The owner has the right to throw out those who do not wish to follow the clearly stated established standard.

Everyone has the right to create their own digital home and establish their own code of conduct.

Presumably, what makes America free is we have these rights. You may have the right to free speech, but no one is compelled to give you a platform.

I don't use swear words much, i'm not one of those people but there are certain words like [censored] which are censored, which is not worthy of being censored, the F word or the C word ok, but that? No.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use swear words much, i'm not one of those people but there are certain words like [censored] which are censored, which is not worthy of being censored, the F word or the C word ok, but that? No.

Okay. But what does that have to do with (what should be) technical discussion threads? You mean you can't make comments without using that word?

And by the way, creative/selective editing to deliberately bypass the censor is grounds for a ban I believe.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Okay. But what does that have to do with (what should be) technical discussion threads? You mean you can't make comments without using that word?

I guess, but say there's the hypothetical situation that something bad happens to somebody, say their engine blows up, and i want to use [censored] to express surprise, that is not a swear word.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you need to expand your vocabulary
wink.gif

We have thousands of words in the English language, I'm sure the loss of a few dozen will not prevent most from getting their point across.

I learned English from action Video games and TV, sorry haha, i can perfectly speak english without swearing but sometimes it just feels natural to use some swear words, i guess in the US people are brought up in a more "puritan" society but here in Spain when i was in high school my teachers used swear words in class regularly for example.
Playing hundreds of hours of GTA probably had some effect on my language
laugh.gif

It has nothing to do with America, land of the free. As has been alluded to.

This is a privately owned Website. The Owner has stated what is acceptable here, and everyone had to agree to those terms of use, before they could join.

There are plenty of other Forums that allow things that aren't allowed here. I was a Moderator at a Website where just about anything was OK. There were still a (very) few exceptions to that rule.

Bottom line: No one is forced to be here. If someone doesn't like it, they are free to leave.

I should add that I am in no way responsible for running or Moderating this forum.

Quick Tip: Click the "Quote" button in the bottom right corner to reveal the censored words in a post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back