Insane motel room prices

The cost of motel rooms has gone beyond ridiculous. It's gotten to where you can't even get a flee infested dump for less than $200 a night. This is one area where prices have gone up far beyond the inflation rate. WTH is driving these insane price increases? My wife and I love to travel, but these prices make traveling far too expensive...

The cost of motel rooms has gone beyond ridiculous. It's gotten to where you can't even get a flee infested dump for less than $200 a night. This is one area where prices have gone up far beyond the inflation rate. WTH is driving these insane price increases? My wife and I love to travel, but these prices make traveling far too expensive...
True that, inflation is driving it like everything else I imagine. Wages went up, utilities, taxes, etc. I have used nearly all the sites, orbitz, hotels.com, etc. I have found I get the best deals on the Priceline app.

Just traveled for two weeks and didn't pay anywhere near $200.00. Hints-make reservations as far in advance as possible.
If staying for more than two nights look in to a AIRBNB or equivalent. Stay in the suburbs and not the city.

But yea-if it's too expensive for your budget-stay home. My wife and I have decided that we are not worrying about what to leave the kids-inheritance wise. When we travel-either on a cruise ship, our travel trailer, road trips, etc, it costs what it costs.

Have a trip planned in January. A week on a cruise ship on the Mexican Rivera, then another week on a road trip through California and back to Utah. All reservations made and paid for. Most are refundable with some exceptions.

Last edited:
I just spent 4 days at a staybridge suites in Cincinnati for $290
they have full kitchen.

had about 15 options around 100+tax

I did stay 10miles east. Downtown had some but nothing with 4 days in a row.

But without a city this is
image_2023-11-15_183142010.png

Just traveled for two weeks and didn't pay anywhere near $200.00. Hints-make reservations as far in advance as possible.
If staying for more than on two nights look in to a AIRBNB or equivalent. Stay in the suburbs and not the city.

But yea-if it's too expensive for your budget-stay home. My wife and I have decided that we are not worrying about what to leave the kids-inheritance wise. When we travel-either on a cruise ship, our travel trailer, road trips, etc, it costs what it costs.

Have a trip planned in January. A week on a cruise ship on the Mexican Rivera, then another week on a road trip through California and back to Utah.
+1

Booking in advance is key, same thing with flights.

Major cities in N. America seem to have inflated prices.
Cities that have hosted Tay Tay (Taylor Swift) concerts have seen rates of at least $1000/night.
That is simply supply and demand. And if any of us were hotel owners we would charge the same-BECAUSE WE COULD.

It's the same situation every year around Pasadena, California for the Rose Bowl. Everything goes up.

Last edited:
Major cities in N. America seem to have inflated prices.
Cities that have hosted Tay Tay (Taylor Swift) concerts have seen rates of at least $1000/night.

I know someone who booked their room a month in advance for a concert at about $250 /night. They then received a call from the hotel about a week before the concert saying the room was repriced to $800 /night and they could rebook at the new rate or have the room cancelled and the charge refunded.

Seemed kind of unethical to me but apparently the hotels have it in the fine print when you book.

That is key....
What is key? I could have stayed downtown if I wanted to check in and out.
Hyatt regency was $480+tax a night or 65$ of chase points.. but they only had fri/sat available.

Always call the hotel direct and not use those booking companies. Sometimes it is hard to find their local numbers.

What is key? I could have stayed downtown if I wanted to check in and out.
Hyatt regency was $480+tax a night or 65$ of chase points.. but they only had fri/sat available.
Staying in the Suburbs....

Last one I stayed in was a Hilton Garden Inn in Chicago for work. $360 per night. Seemed high to me for a pretty basic room but my employer paid for it so I didn't complain. In the past though I've always sought to stay as close to $150 per night as that seems to be about the cheapest rooms that are decent enough. I just need a place to put my stuff so I've never booked anything fancy. I also try to stay someplace a few miles from the main attractions since that tends to be cheaper.

The cost of motel rooms has gone beyond ridiculous.
There is zero context to this post (just like almost everyone else has alluded to). Outside of major cities, i.e. New York, Chicago, etc, a $200 hotel room is not typical. You can find plenty of perfectly fine rooms for $150 and under. It's like you picked a hotel or two, located next to a convention center, during the time that a large convention was going on. Yeah, in those cases, hotels artificially jack up their rates.

Unless there's something huge going on during your travel dates, $200.00 US a night will pay for really nice accommodations.
$100.00 or so should get you a decent room.
You can also often get better rates by calling the hotel directly.
Just our experience,

Back