Rhino Ramps Collapsed

I pulled my GX470 up on the black Rhino Ramps to change the oil and squish. What in the world?

What are you guys doing to get your cars up to change the fluids and such?

Wooden ramps?

One side is squished to about half way. The other bowed out where the tire is sitting.

They are not flat, merely lost about 2-3 inches in height. I guess the GX470 is too heavy.

How old were they?

Did you keep vehicles on them for an extended period of time?

I believe you, I"m just trying to see if there is something I/we can do to prevent this from happening again. I use them for oil changes and would hate for them to collapse on me.

Unless there was another vehicle in the trunk, I'd have a hard time believing that heaviness alone was the issue--the two types were rated for 12K and 16K pounds when I bought my pair of 16s.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I guess the GX470 is too heavy.

99% you tires weren't centered on the ramp when you drove on it and uneven force distribution as a result followed by ramp collapse

Scary. I have the HF version. The heaviest vehicle on them is a loaded 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the turbo diesel V6.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I pulled my GX470 up on the black Rhino Ramps to change the oil and squish. What in the world?

What are you guys doing to get your cars up to change the fluids and such?

Wooden ramps?

I wood use wood if I fir you

[Linked Image]

Bought Race Ramps for that reason. While Rhino Ramps do the job fine and I've used them in other people's garages, I much prefer the peace of mind that the Race Ramps offer, being one solid piece. They're a bit spendy, though.

Originally Posted by paulri
How old were they?

Did you keep vehicles on them for an extended period of time?

I believe you, I"m just trying to see if there is something I/we can do to prevent this from happening again. I use them for oil changes and would hate for them to collapse on me.

They are about 3 months old.

I have had my LS430 on them about 6 days in a row. Hmmm..

Originally Posted by parshisa
99% you tires weren't centered on the ramp when you drove on it and uneven force distribution as a result followed by ramp collapse

They are not like pancakes. They end is bowed under and they are really bowed out where the cutout is.

They are compressed and bowed out.

I went out to take pics and decided to back off the ramps. When I did, they came back to about 90% shape.

When I pulled on them the front ledge folded under. Then I rolled back a little and I got back too far and they squished out.
I had my car up on them since last Saturday. Probably not a good thing.

I have a problem in my driveway with the ramps just sliding forward if I go too slow so I sorta hit them with a little umph to get up to the plateau.

Apparently these new ones aren't as forgiving as my old ones. I think me gotta be very precise with these.

Last edited:
About 6 hours? The ramps should have held. I did call them and they said not to leave a car on overnight. The guy did not give me a number, but he implied that leaving the car on for several hours would not be a problem.

EDIT: Wait a sec, you said 6 DAYS in a row? In that case, that might be it. I called their tech support, and he explicitly stated not to keep them on overnight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paulri
About 6 hours? The ramps should have held. I did call them and they said not to leave a car on overnight. The guy did not give me a number, but he implied that leaving the car on for several hours would not be a problem.

6 DAYS

I'm betting they come back to shape overnight. I'm just a little ignorant.
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Yes, I use wood ramps.

Pine-O-Ramps … glued and screwed.

Have for a decade now - if you make a set you want to use indoor wood - it glues very well compared to treated - so be prepared to store out of the weather.
The other thing I have learned is taper each section of 2 x 10 at 45 on your chop saw and make the bottom board the longest single height. This is so that the tire can pin the ramp down before it continues "uphill"

I made 4 and my 4WD's will walk up level for things like differentials etc.
(just 2 for motor oil changes)

Back