Revisiting the stereo/receiver research for purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello again,

Ive had a chance to "audition" a number of speakers and receivers, to see what I liked. I went to both circuit city and to a high end shop that barely scraped mid-range stuff...

In the end, I listened to a bunch of tracks through B&W, paradigm and infinity speakers... the winners? Infinity beta 50. These sounded good with a center channel enabled, and even better in pure direct stereo mode.

Just to test, I brought the fiancee there later on, and had her listen to a few tracks, and she definitely noticed and liked the beta 50s too.

These speakers are floorstanding, sport dual 8" woofers, and can be biwired for apparently better performance.

It seems that for music, the "bias" of use for this system, that these will do good alone, and then can be augmented with the Hsu or infinity subwoofer down the line...

So I think Im happy with that pick... They are $499 each at retail (about $379 each online), but thats about at my original budget for "speakers", and I think Ill be happier with them, especially since I listened to a lot of higher end stuff at the fancy store and still liked the beta 50 speakers better. Plus, the fiancee didnt mind the idea of the big beta 0 speakers sitting on the floor, but she didnt seem to keen when I started showing her center channels, rear channels, and all the similar stuff that we could add to the system for 5.1 or better surround. And, frankly, I dont think that the geometry of our room, the cost effectiveness of a 5.1 system, or the need for such a thing in our house is there.. I think she is right, and I dont mind just the beta 50s and maybe a sub, and then have nice sound for music, and augment the sound for movies too.

But now for receivers...

I tried to compare the sound from a number of yamaha, onkyo and panasonic receivers. It was a very tough task, but as of now, Im leaning towards a yamaha product... B ut now, especially given my speaker choice, I have to wonder what kind of receiver I want to get.

Here's the deal... I have a 32" panasonic CRT TV. I like it a lot. It has all the RCA, S-video and component inputs, and has a coax cable input as well. I refuse to buy cable, as I dont want to pay to watch commercials even in non ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc stations, and we have managed to get pretty good broadcast reception.

Down the line broadcast will be in digital only, and apparently we will have to downconvert,but well deal with that as necessary. So, Ill have DVD component video in, maybe a vhs player in through coax or an rca type connection, and then the tv antenna in.

Given that apparently everything is moving to HDMI digital interface, nothing supports it yet, and Im not planning to move to a LCD/plasma display until I really have to (i.e. my TV breaks), I dont see the benefit to having an AV receiver... Other than that it might reduce the number of interfaces to the TV, what benefit does it give me (other than 5.1 or 7.1 sound???)? Isnt it really better to NOT pass video connections through an additional step on the way from a player to a TV?

It seems that even years from now when Im stuck/forced to buy a plasma tv and use hdmi interface to connect up my dvd or blu-ray player and HDTV antenna tuner, that I still ought to be able to connect audio inputs somehow to the receiver, like through RCA connections, right?

As I dont need to connect up 4+ things to the TV, and do not really desire to have the super top best connections to watch broadcast TV and the occasional movie, do I need an AV receiver? Or will a stereo receiver (like the yamaha RX-797) do?

The way I see it, so long as the broadcast digital TV, fancy DVD/blu-RAY, etc can have audio output to he receiver via RCA connections, years down the line, Ill be fine. Will I have 7.1 sound with a top-notch stereo receiver? no, but I will have the music bias I want, and certainly will have good sound for movies and what not with only the front channels and maybe a subwoofer... are movie sounds in stereo and designed to "image" like good musical recordings?

Finally, there has to be a difference between the quality of the amps and whatnot in stereo receivers and av ones... For example, the yamaha rx-V859 AV receiver has THD at 0.06%, whereas the RX-759 has THD at 0.019%. Both cost about the same, both have similar power outputs (though the stereo one doesnt have so many at the same wattage), etc. In fact, maybe yamaha has to omuch to say about the AV receiver to fit it all in, but they highlight all the high quality components and large heatsinks in the stereo receiver, but dont talk about layouts, architectures, thermal management, etc at all with regards to their AV lines. Do stereo receivers tend to get better innards than AV ones? Or is it just that there is more stuff packed into an AV receiver, so there is less space in there and in the advertising material to discuss such stuff? To me it seems that the mention of it, as well as the better THD means that everything about it is better for reproducing sound in general, though granted not through as many channels.

So, any input or ideas about all of this? Any suggestions from here? listening to stuff at a bumch of places has helped me thus far, but now, its the connectivity and management of current and upcoming standards, while realizing what I have and what AV components I want/dont want, that has me confused. I dont want to buy anthing that 10 years down the line when I majorly upgrade my TV, etc... Ill have to also buy an AV receiver because I cant even get audio into my stereo one... I dont care about 5.1 channel or whatnot; Ive lived without it for this long and really dont watch enough to make great use of it. but I do care about good quality for the money, and the ability to maintain a long lifecycle and use of its 'legacy connections.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMH

There is a significant difference in amps. Make sure you are allowed to listen to an amp and on the speakers you desire. I purchased a 45 watt basic Denon receiver about 15 years ago with a THD 0.006% at nearly the price of a top end AV kenwood with all the surrond junk and multiple channels with "300" watts.

Guess which one sounded superior at even louder volumes. It really depends on your ears and what you desire. I found smaller differences jumping to more expensive amps myself.

Don't waste any money biwiring your speakers. It's a scam to sell you expensive cable and connectors that you don't need. It won't improve the sound.

Differences in THD statistics like you were mentioning are irrelevant. The big bottleneck in terms of distortion are your speakers, some of which can range up to 10%. So those hundredths of a percent difference in the electronics cannot even be noticed. The best way to improve the sound of your system is by getting the best speakers you can afford. Make sure the dealer will let you take them home for a demo, because the room acoustics can have a drastic effect on how they sound.

Less distortion is good, but you definitely won't notice a difference up to rated power if they're both under 0.1%! A lower THD may mean a little more room above rated power though.

Unless one has serious problems, I think it's unlikely you'll never be able to accurately compare different receivers by listening; you've got to go by ratings. A little bit of volume makes a huge difference in perceived sound quality.

Infinity makes great car speakers (my personal favorite), and their home speakers look like they're right up there for quality.

Bi-ampable speakers work very well. We had a demonstration by the Peavey rep a few years ago with their SP-2 2 way speaker. Bi-amping bypasses the speakers crossover network and the phase distortion is much less. It was a lot cleaner, sharper in phase using bi-amp.
Have your retailer set up a pair of Beta 50's bi-amped and see if you like it.
P.B.

imo, just buy a used Adcom 535 MKII amp on EBay for $75 and run your variable output CD player into that and then into your speakers. Save the Surround Sound ** for a junk Reciever and A/V Speaker set-up. A strait poweramp is a whole different beast than a reciever. At least debuet a real amp somewhere before you buy a reciever. That advice, my friend, is something I am VERY sure of.

Ive been reading a lot more about this sort of thing like you mention.

OK, my lack of knowledge knows no bounds... What would you recomend as a variable output CD player? I assumed that Id start off using my DVD player into the receiver as an audio out, then upgrade from there. Can thatbe done with DVD players, or would you suggest a dedicated one? If so, which?

More learning from here!

Thanks again!

JMH

Better manufacturers, like Yamaha, will list the intermodulation distortion ("IM" - or transient intermodulation distortion "TIM") of the amplifier, which has a far more pronounced effect on the aural quality of an amplifier than simple harmonic distortion.

If you want really good sound, get a tube amp - if you want convenience and ease of use with pretty good sound, just get the Yamaha AV receiver. The better Yamaha AV receivers have preamp outs where you can hang a better PA on later if you desire.

IF you get a reciever, get one with a pre-out for when you want a real amp, but I don't recommend it. IF you buy a poweramp now, you can get a preamp later. Solid-state amps last forver, no reason not to buy a used one and take advantage of that. Would I buy used speakers, never. Used CD, nope.
Now, when I say variable out CD, I mean that even a headphone jack with volume level is fine. You want a good CD player, but don't sacrifice the speakers you want for that. Dennon, Onkyo, maybe SONY ES or even an Adcom CD would be great. If you can get a used one for $50-$75 dollars and it works, grab it. Otherwise, concentrate on your speaker purchase...you will have to live with it even if you upgrade CD, amp or get a preamp. Don't worry about lack of tone control with just an amp for now, TRUST me.

Adcom 545 amp, same as mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-GFA-545_W0QQitemZ9727096717QQcategoryZ71543QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adcom preamp/tuner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADCOM-PRE-AMP-T...000299126QQcategoryZ71564QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one for $60

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-GTP-600-T...727853078QQcategoryZ14974QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

another

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-High-Curr...728356643QQcategoryZ71543QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An Adcom power amp+preamp will blow away ANY reciever.

This pair is from the same seller, jump on it if you want a real audiophile system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-Preamp-GF...729892666QQcategoryZ71564QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-GFA-545-I...729892684QQcategoryZ71543QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You get the idea.

The Adcom is a nice high-current clean sounding unit. It can power any specaker made even ones that present unusual loads.

Once you decide on speakers, hook it up to your source and then do some research on what D/A you want. A well-reviewd CD player that costs minimal will probally be the way to go, but you could just get a quality D/A converter and use any recording format. Tha would be the scientific part, the speakers are subjective and the amp, just common sense.

great! Thanks so much!

Ill keep an eye on these, and see if similar are available from local sources, so I can give them a try.

I really appreciate the help!

JMH

A well designed amplifier, used within its design limits, will to all intents and purposes sound the same as any other. There's an easy $10,000 waiting for someone who can prove otherwise:

$10,000 challenge

Make sure the receiver you choose has enough power to drive your speakers to the levels you need, and it will sound great. There really aren't many turkeys out there because most everyone uses the same integrated components in their products. When the signal crosses domains (analog to digital and vice versa) the quality of the conversion is important and often the more expensive receivers have higher quality conversion.

By the way, some receivers have built in support for biamping e.g. Panasonic XR-55 & XR-57. It's worth listening to the speakers driven that way so you can decide if it is a noticeable improvement over a single amplifier per speaker.

Harmon Kardon, at least to me in the past 30 years of being and audiophile and musician, over the best sound, hands down. My next choice would be Yamaha amps and preamps.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Dennon, Onkyo, maybe SONY ES or even an Adcom CD would be great.

Onkyo used to be, um, not of very high quality .... When did that change?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Harmon Kardon, at least to me in the past 30 years of being and audiophile and musician, over the best sound, hands down. My next choice would be Yamaha amps and preamps.

I haven't used any HK equipment, but over the last thirty years, Yamaha or homebrew have been the only amps I've used.

I have one of the newer Yamaha AV receivers in the living room now. Personally, I think the older Yamaha amps sound better than the newer receivers, because they used discrete output devices and spent more time in class A mode, before they biased into AB. Yamaha also seemed to pay a lot of attention to reducing IMD which is reflected in the sound of their amps.

I have not really educated myself on the newer amp modes that do not draw current in the absence of drive, and I am not crazy about switching power supplies, but that is pretty much the way all the new stuff is made at present.

quote:

Solid-state amps last forver, no reason not to buy a used one and take advantage of that.

Not necessarily. Solid state products can have very long service lifes, but over time the ground points can begin to oxidize, the connectors and mechanical switch contacts (if any) can oxidize, the electrolytic caps can begin to dry out and change value, and depending on the quality of the resistors, they can change value also and shift the operating points of the various stages.

A lot depends on the initial quality of the components and materials used in the manufacture of the device, but everything requires periodic maintenance or replacement.

quote:

Buying high-end speakers and driving them with a reciever = lame.

It is perfectly feasible to build a receiver or integrated amplifier capable of similar or better performance to separate components.

Whether a manufacturer decides to do that or not, is for the manufacturer to decide.

My system consists of Yamaha (reciever: 2095) components and Paradigm speakers (Monitor 9s). LOVE THEM!

I would make sure you listen, if at ALL possible, to the speakers through the reciever you intend to buy. When I was shopping, it came down to getting either Yamaha of Sony SE. I had an eye on the Paradigms already so I had the salesperson switch between the two comparable recievers, playing music I had brought in. I could tell in very short order which reciever sounded better.

As Cogito mentioned, the system will sound different in your room compared to the store.

If you are movie watchers, I would spring for 5.1 surround over a sub. I an still amazed at the sound sometimes that comes out of DVDs. I was watching a DVD about a month ago with my sister and a sound came from the left of us. We both turned our heads left, then at each other, and wondered aloud if it was the movie or something outside. Got the giggles after realizing it was the movie
lol.gif
!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back