Review and car history, '15 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I've read about coding, and it sounds intriguing. I'd love to have the rear fog light, the combo of front fogs and high beams, and to fold the mirrors once I get out of the car. But my phone is an Android -- I presume there are coding apps for it as well? And this Carly product seems to have very poor reviews -- and on the Bimmerpost forum users suggest a "Bimmercode" product might work better.

Carly is a subscription service. There's another, slightly more expensive, way which is to buy an old laptop a cable and then using the bmw forums find a source for a free download for the dealer diagnostic software

It is subscription for certain services, or they changed something in the last few months?

I seem to remember that some features (ex. Battery Registration) were for 1 year I could be/probably am wrong.

Not sure, I never paid for that. I think right now it is $10 for battery registration.
However, most important things, parameters and coding is one time payment.

I bought the app before it went to a full subscription service. I had paid for some of the optional features as well so it I really lucked out on the timing.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I bought the app before it went to a full subscription service. I had paid for some of the optional features as well so it I really lucked out on the timing.

I see you have a Foxwell N510 as well. Does that work on your M235i or are you going to have to upgrade?

Update, all,

It's been a hair over 3 months with the gold beast, which is now at just over 29K miles. The only problems have been the items above, bumper repaint, a taillight connector, and the lipstick under the passenger seat, all handled by the dealer. The BMW gets 25-27 mpg consistently, with 32 on a recent 70-mile round trip (I ran the A/C, of course, and touched 80 several times). Checking the oil via iDrive, I see no oil loss. Tires I'm trying to keep at the placard rating of 32 psi; any higher on these horrible streets and the sedan rides like a farm truck without shocks. A/C is good and cold. For fun I ordered and installed a new license plate frame, black instead of silver with the dealer's name on it (they are not paying me to advertise them), and some brushed-aluminum plastic trim bits around the A/C and radio.

At 30K miles, about five weeks away, I'll have the oil changed to Castrol 0W-40 Euro with the LL-01 spec and a Mann filter, have the tires rotated, and change the engine air filter and the cabin filter. According to what I've read here, spark plugs on this car should be changed every 60K kilometers or 38K miles, so that will come up probably early next year. Transmission fluid, not until 50K miles.

And I plan to buy a newer phone . . . so the coding app and playing with the car's settings might be in our future.

IMHO you should consider a higher sitting vehicle like a good used Tahoe,Yukon,Silverado or something similar that sits up higher then a sedan. Especially living in the Swamp. If I had a lower sitting vehicle I would have been flooded out over a dozen time already here in Miami Beach. My friends BMW was flooded out just 2 weeks ago in Brooklyn N.Y. after a very heavy rain event.

All that just IMHO even though I am sure if will fall on deaf ears.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
IMHO you should consider a higher sitting vehicle like a good used Tahoe,Yukon,Silverado or something similar that sits up higher then a sedan. Especially living in the Swamp. If I had a lower sitting vehicle I would have been flooded out over a dozen time already here in Miami Beach. My friends BMW was flooded out just 2 weeks ago in Brooklyn N.Y. after a very heavy rain event.

All that just IMHO even though I am sure if will fall on deaf ears.

He can get BMW X5 instead of Tahoe.

The gold car was declared totaled last week, I've received my payout and that loan has been paid, and I've purchased a 2016 Buick LaCrosse. I'll start a thread about the new car shortly.

I will miss the BMW. It was quick, nimble, good-sized, and comfortable, without a harsh ride even on run-flat tires and on these lousy streets. It was, I guess, a spring/summer romance. Perhaps some day when the brand and I meet again, sparks will fly once more. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back