Review and car history, '15 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today marks one month since I purchased this car: A gold over cream 2015 328i, base model I presume, 27,000 miles, with 245hp turbo four, 17" wheels and Continental run-flats, more gadgetry than I can count, and astonishing power combined with great efficiency.

I had been searching for a newer, turbo Regal; but ones with light-colored interiors were very thin on the ground here. So I looked at the local BMW dealer, and spotted a gold one, CPO (and, it turns out, with 3 months' factory warranty left). My research and my independent mechanic each gave positive info, and my insurance company quoted something reasonable -- for Lousyana, anyway. I expected the run-flats to ride hard, but for some reason they didn't and at 34 psi still don't. Yes, it needs premium fuel, but I am seeing 25-27 mpg in 70% city driving, and even a little highway time brings the average up. I don't think I've ever seen numbers like these, not even on the Regal with its N/A four.

But you don't buy a car like this for mileage. The car is quick and powerful, yet smooth when I need it to be.

Things I dislike: The orange instrument lighting (but I like that the odometer, trip meter, and clock all turn white with enough daylight coming in). The headlights seem a little weak; going to try new bulbs. The fact I have to turn off the Auto-Stop-Start each time I put on the EcoPro economy mode, though the feature remembers the last setting. So many gadgets I have to sit in the car burning battery power or gas as I learn them.

Things I love: The cold A/C. That effortless "Sure, Boss, let's go!" speed without downshifting if I need to accelerate in a hurry or go up an incline. The leap it seems to give when I click into Sport mode, and the watchdog growl when I pull away from a light in that mode. The fact that it looks like a basic upper-middle-class cruiser but has a starship engine under the hood. (Sure, I'm exaggerating for effect. Don't you do that when you first buy a newer car?)

The dealer has found a mysterious rattle in the cabin that turned out to be a lipstick rolling around in an air vent, and has corrected a faulty rear light socket. After the warranty expires, I'll visit my independent for most things, starting with an oil change and some filters at 30K miles, about four months away, and then we'll go from there.

Now I begin to understand why people love these cars. . . .

328i_Resized_01.jpg

I just bought one myself last week, a 2015 BMW 320i with 34K. The folk on BMW forums say it's a relatively reliable car. I hate to admit it, but the car has a "cheap" feel to it.

The tires are new. I now have go-flats instead of run-flats. I found a matching fifth rim on-line, so I'll have a full spare in case a pothole takes out one of the rims, which is a serious concern in Michigan.

That's my plan as soon as these RFs are worn enough. The spare will use up quite a bit of the trunk, which is smaller than I'm used to. Amazing, that this car is overall a little bigger than the Regal, yet feels smaller inside and has less trunk.

My College friend got a used BMW 528i with the turbo 4. He kept saying the car has lots of V8 like torque. His comments actually directed me check out the VW jetta lease - with the puny 1.4L that has torque like a 3.0 L from 1800-4500.

He paid 14K for the 528i AFAIK It wasn't certified. But so far so good. I'm having lunch with him tomorrow I try to get an update,

In 2001, I wish I talked my father into getting a used M-Roadster for his last car instead of the terrible and Florida Ubiquitous 2002 Lexus ES300.

I just read BMW exports over 10 billion $ product from US made factorys like S.C.

Maybe the germans should change the brand name to: CMW - Cackalacische Motoren Werke

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
How do you put a lipstick in an air vent?

That's what I said! It was an air vent under the front passenger seat. I suppose if the occupant dropped the tube, it could fall into the vent? (I've instructed Miss Linda not to handle her lipstick or pen or anything small like that while she's in the car.)

I have enjoyed every BMW I have been in. One of my friends has the BMW with the turbo V8 and one time when I called him he said sorry for the noise I am doing 150 . I asked are you in your plane? No he said I am in the car !

Benzadmiral, get yourself this:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Car...amp;s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

This will allow you to read all possible codes and parameters that are not available to you (coolant temperature, transmission temperature etc. various pressures). It comes handy for example if you suspect thermostat might be an issue or some similar stuff.
Also, it will allow you to unlock some hidden features that are available on European market but not on the US. That also depends on package you have (if you have comfort access it will unlock slew of stuff). For example you can set up mirrors to fold automatically when you lock, or windows to go down when you hold unlock button for 1, 3 or 5 sec, at your choosing. etc, etc.
Also, if you want more brake bite (F30 uses ceramic pads) you can go with pads for E90. You will have more dust, but will be much, much more responsive when you step on the brake.

I've read about coding, and it sounds intriguing. I'd love to have the rear fog light, the combo of front fogs and high beams, and to fold the mirrors once I get out of the car. But my phone is an Android -- I presume there are coding apps for it as well? And this Carly product seems to have very poor reviews -- and on the Bimmerpost forum users suggest a "Bimmercode" product might work better.

Originally Posted by EricG
This is a great place for parts, if you do any of your own work!

https://www.fcpeuro.com/
Just ordered two oil filters and a bottle of the OEM windshield washer fluid from them. Both quite a bit cheaper than I expected. Air filter and wipers will be next.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

Yeah, now you understand why ppl. are willing to spend extra on these once they are out of warranty.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Yeah, now you understand why ppl. are willing to spend extra on these once they are out of warranty.

We'll see how it goes. I remember spending quite a bit on keeping my W126 and W202 MBs running, more for the latter than for the former even though the W126 was a good deal older. And I kept both Buicks for 5+ years despite repair and maintenance costs. It's just part of the deal, right?

I have a Schwaben(Foxwell) scanner as well as the Carly app. I like them both- the scanner is better for diagnostics but Carly works better for battery registration and a few other functions. And of course it has some coding capability which the scanner lacks.

I've read about coding, and it sounds intriguing. I'd love to have the rear fog light, the combo of front fogs and high beams, and to fold the mirrors once I get out of the car. But my phone is an Android -- I presume there are coding apps for it as well? And this Carly product seems to have very poor reviews -- and on the Bimmerpost forum users suggest a "Bimmercode" product might work better.

Carly is available for Android. What you do is purchase OBD part and then download app for Android.
Carly got poor review primarily because some software writing is basically bizarre, but it improved a lot. It seems that designers did not expect such success. But, it is handy. I liked it because it shows various parameters like coolant temperature. On E70 35d thermostat was an issue (stays open) and can create a lot of issues if temperature is not above 75 degrees c (below 75c glow plugs would restart to improve efficiency). It was easy to fallow on phone, as well as oil temperature (E70 35d did not have oil temperature gauge).
But I unlocked numerous stuff. Instead of 3 time turn signal, I did 5 time. Folding mirrors, closing windows or sun roof. Closing trunk from inside etc.

Last edited:

Carly is a subscription service. There's another, slightly more expensive, way which is to buy an old laptop a cable and then using the bmw forums find a source for a free download for the dealer diagnostic software

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Carly is a subscription service. There's another, slightly more expensive, way which is to buy an old laptop a cable and then using the bmw forums find a source for a free download for the dealer diagnostic software

It is subscription for certain services, or they changed something in the last few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back