Rethinking gun control/types of purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Well magazines like that easy to modify shouldn't be sold here...

But they are, and the reason it hasn't be redacted likely has to do with my answer to your question:

Has even that simple modification happened though?

I'm sure it has, but not for the purpose of committing a mass killing that at least I'm aware of. I assume part of this is due to the fact that the guns that these mags are available for aren't generally the ones used. I can think of one exception and that's the Mini-14 used in the Quebec Poly incident, which has a 20rd mag available for it, but pinned to 5. Not sure if that mag existed back then though, and it wasn't used in that case.

The guys doing the mass shootings obviously don't have the clearest of minds.

No, and most of them don't use legally obtained firearms either. Just like the guys plowing vans and straight trucks into crowds of people.

Also what purpose do large magazines for rifles have for the general public? How many non-criminal citizen get into a protracted gun battle in their own homes where it would makes sense to shoot 30 rifle rounds, and quickly reload to shoot more? I'm sure most people competently trained in home defense, choose a handgun and try to fire the minimum number needed.

Astro gave you his take above. I'd personally use a 12-gauge in that scenario, as I wouldn't feel comfortable discharging a rifle inside a dwelling as you don't know where outside the dwelling the projectile is going to land, particularly in an urban environment. For somebody more rural, it perhaps makes more sense.

Large magazines serve the same purpose outside of a potential family protection scenario as those huge bench-rest rifles for long range competitions: enjoyment/hobby time at the range.

No different than the barrel mags for various .22 calibre rifles or owning something like a .50BMG which is arguably too large for hunting anything worth eating in North America.

If everything was about practical suitability I wouldn't have a 475HP V8 either, and nobody would have high powered fishing boats because you can catch your limit in a tinner with a 9.9 on it.

I think a simple statistical and tactical analysis would show that having large capacity rifle magazines available to the public is a net loss in terms of lives saved. Probably dozens of losses per save.

And what about the events perpetrated by hand guns then? Shotguns? We aren't seeing guys with tube-extension Remmy 800's shooting up places in Canada here, despite them been non-restricted, inexpensive and with highly available ammo. Justin Bourque managed to mow down numerous armed police officers with a 5-round limited Chinese AR-10 clone. That protracted event would have played out the same regardless of mag limits.

I'm somewhat neutral on the whole mag limit issue, as I don't think it is a significant player in most cases. Why people are doing it and how they are obtaining weapons should be the primary focus, and it seems in many of these instances the primary failing is with the FBI and law enforcement. If the system already isn't working, adding more regulation to it isn't going to make it better.

Yes, the situation that unfolded at that concert was horrific. But the guy could also have just driven into that crowd with a Penske rental and done just as much damage. So in a specific case where the lack of availability (not to be confused with regulation on) of high capacity magazines MIGHT have been beneficial, the method could just have easily have been changed.

So basically, I'm not sold on mag capacity limits being a key to the solution here. I think it is low-hanging fruit and does nothing to deal with the root of the problem.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I thought, through my admittedly limited knowledge, that the second amendment is not about home defense, or defense of individual people, but rather a way to give people, the governed, a tool to defend from an oppressing government if/when the need arises.
If so, then what's all this talk about needing or not needing a certain type of weapon for home or personal defense? Personal/home defense is but a small aspect of the much bigger picture behind the second amendment.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

The are some that always want to argue the intent, even though the 'argument'* has been settled.

Here's the most important part.

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

*There never was a legitimate argument, only those that have some misguided wish to remove the Rights that people fought and died for.

Originally Posted By: thooks
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

It's cliché, but both sides will need to give some for there to be any measureable difference to be made. The real problem is any positive change will require sacrifice... which no one in this day an age wants. Either $, rights or freedom.

I'd like to keep my rights and freedom. You can give your money.

That's fine. Then I don't think you can expect change...

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Originally Posted By: thooks
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Unfortunately this thread will most likely disappear shortly so I feel my comments and everone elses are for not on an important matter like this. People need to talk about this issue, but seems this chat board isn't going to allow that.

And that's sad. The attitude of people that run forums and not allowing ANY discussion of current events because "they always turn political" is juvenile. People are so scared of talking about politics....it's like you shouldn't have an opinion on it. You should just let things go how they always have.

I don't get it. If you wish not to involve yourself in a political discussion on the internet, you really can keep scrolling. It's easy...

This discussion hasn't gotten nasty at all. I guess it will eventually get deleted. I appreciate all points of view on here. Not an easy matter to discuss.
keep down politics as much as possible, no hate group stuff,no cussing, and no religion nasty stuff quotes and it may last a few days...Its been reasonable so far, but all stuff comes to an end..lots of good input though..imho

In the history of the world, it has always been about a group of people trying to tell another group what to do. In my still humble opinion, I think that the only way to solve this debate(and it goes way beyond the 2nd Amendment) is to split the USA into two parts. Now of course, this won't happen, so this will keep going. I don't think we have hit pre Civil War type of rhetoric/feelings yet, but I think we are going to get closer to that than we have been in a long time. When you see a caning in the Senate, we might be getting close
coffee2.gif

When I took a firearms safety course, my instructor told the class that the best home defense weapon is a 12 gauge loaded with 00 shot. Reason being is that you want the bad guy to absorb the pellets not someone next door. Hearing the racking noise, is kinda intimidating by itself.

NYSteve do you hunt deer with a fixed bayonet. Admit it, your playing army!

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I thought, through my admittedly limited knowledge, that the second amendment is not about home defense, or defense of individual people, but rather a way to give people, the governed, a tool to defend from an oppressing government if/when the need arises.
If so, then what's all this talk about needing or not needing a certain type of weapon for home or personal defense? Personal/home defense is but a small aspect of the much bigger picture behind the second amendment.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

The Supreme Court says your understanding is wrong:

DC vs Heller

You misunderstood me. I never said that gun ownership should limited to combatants or militia type or that the second amendment inferred that.
I'm saying, most that argue you don't need certain types of guns for self defence, so they should be outlawed, are missing a much bigger picture.
How can you stand for your rights as people with hand guns and limited magazines if/when the need arises?

Originally Posted By: andyd
When I took a firearms safety course, my instructor told the class that the best home defense weapon is a 12 gauge loaded with 00 shot. Reason being is that you want the bad guy to absorb the pellets not someone next door. Hearing the racking noise, is kinda intimidating by itself.

Our instructor said the same thing....

It also gives away your location, and identifies the firearm. Which could be a major disadvantage, depending on the intent and conviction of the intruder(s).

I think the second amendment is a good thing.

#Metoo

You might say you think that, but your other words don't say that.

There has been talk about raising the age to buy an "assault weapon" to 21. I am actually for this. Because what I am really for is raising the age for adulthood to 21, which it was nominally for a long time. That means voting, owning property, alcohol, driving, gun ownership and on.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I guess one way would be to x-ray/metal detectors machines at schools one entrance only and all students and faculty have to pass through each day like they use at courthouses and such... its a thought..
Did you pay attention to how the stooting was carried out?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
There has been talk about raising the age to buy an "assault weapon" to 21. I am actually for this. Because what I am really for is raising the age for adulthood to 21, which it was nominally for a long time. That means voting, owning property, alcohol, driving, gun ownership and on.

Might as well since most 21 year olds are still living at home these days. Many studies show people's brains aren't even fully developed even at 21. This is why so many young people, especially teenagers, often make bad decisions.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I guess one way would be to x-ray/metal detectors machines at schools one entrance only and all students and faculty have to pass through each day like they use at courthouses and such... its a thought..

It's a start. Then hire retired Military or LE and arm them to monitor the entrance and exit of the building.
These shooters didn't come to school aTTend classe then after PE class start shooting.

Originally Posted By: CT8

It's a start. Then hire retired Military or LE and arm them to monitor the entrance and exit of the building.
These shooters didn't come to school aTTend classe then after PE class start shooting.

Either way... stop them from getting inside, i.e. where typically the shooting happens. The problem is the que of people waiting to get in during will create a new potential target.

I'm gonna try like the dickens to keep this thread going. This is hearsay. The guns were in a locked case. The "adult" in the situation "thought" he had the "only" key. Is this true? I don't know gun cases, but most locks come with 2 keys.

I get the 2nd amendment. Just not going there. Gun guys, why do you own assault rifles? Because they are neat and go bang. You ought to see what they can do to a watermelon! Kinda like fireworks? I was more into blowing up stuff and molotov cocktails. Can you hunt deer or birds with it? Coyotes? Home defense? Against whom? Them, whoever them are. Whatever. WE just have to get way better at keeping guns away from whackjobs. Secure your weapons (toys). Teens want to blow stuff up ? Join the army and get taught by experts. They will put your teen age angst to good purpose.

You know what the scary thing is? School shootings no longer stir me like they used to. I wept when I heard about Sandyhook. Now, I change the channel.
Shot guns are for shooting birds and there are semi auto shot guns! Semi auto rifles are used for hunting and you can buy very accutate AR 15s that will do well hitting Coyotes at 600 yards with ease, Deer and pigs are taken regularly with AR 15s and AR 10s. there are people I see shooting ARs at 1000 yards at the rifle range. They are close to bolt action accuracy, the fact is Ars are popular for long distance target shooting. I would guess there have been more AR series fifles sold than any other non military rifles since the beginning of time. It probbly would be best to avoid the TV instrad of turning the channel turn the TV off and leave it off.

I get the 2nd amendment. Just not going there. Gun guys, why do you own assault rifles? Because they are neat and go bang. You ought to see what they can do to a watermelon! Kinda like fireworks? I was more into blowing up stuff and molotov cocktails. Can you hunt deer or birds with it? Coyotes? Home defense? Against whom? Them, whoever them are. Whatever. WE just have to get way better at keeping guns away from whackjobs. Secure your weapons (toys). Teens want to blow stuff up ? Join the army and get taught by experts. They will put your teen age angst to good purpose.

The 2nd amendment is about hunting tyrannical govt figures. It has nothing to do with hunting animals. I have an AR15 (several) of them, because they are legal to own, they are fun to shoot, they are accurate, they are fantastic hunting guns for smaller animals (coyote, etc), and they are the best home defense gun you can buy for the money. Not a pistol, not a shotgun, a semi-auto magazine fed rifle with 30 rounds is the BEST home defense gun, you can buy. That's why I own them. Home invasion crews travel in 4's and 5's, and often wear body armor. My AR15 will make swiss cheese of them, accurately, with a 95% average hit rate. My pistols, with an average hit rate of 30%, and less power balistically, wont.

Originally Posted By: CT8

That's correct. It is also correct that in each case the shooters were able to get into the schools with firearms, ready and willing to kill innocent people.

Last edited:
What about restricting sales of firearms, and ammo... to cash only. This would help prevent some one at the end of their ropes with a credit card going out and buying some expensive hardware on a whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back