Residential Electricity Rate Increas Across U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The deregulated trading power markets (CAISO, EIM, ERCOT, PJM, MISO(MidC), NYISO, SPPIM) are supposed to work out for the consumer,

When the market was brought in in Oz, it was pointed out that the particular model chosen had only led to higher prices when implemented elsewhere...to which it was replied "there's no evidence that will occur here"

Ha!

Ha indeed.

My bill starts with a $40 connection charge and goes up from there. The wholesale cost of power though has remained steady at $0.037 per KWH for the last 5 years Then there are the generation, transmission, delivery and other charges.

Electricity itself is getting cheaper but infrastructure maintenance and payroll keep on rising.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
As many here are interesting in power production, I found this recent graph of percentage increases from 2002 - 2015 very interesting:

Are those number adjusted for inflation?

if not, tack on another 30% or so.

My power cost is 9.4¢ KWh (standard, peak use during summer after a set amount is 12.7¢) with distribution and fees accounting for another ~5¢. 14.4¢ all told per KWh regular rate is decent if you ask me, but according to that chart it's 74% higher than a few years ago.... Not sure that's entirely accurate, as it would make the power rate at the beginning of the comparison 2.4¢, I was paying power bills back then and it wasn't that inexpensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Balrog006
My power cost is 9.4¢ KWh (standard, peak use during summer after a set amount is 12.7¢) with distribution and fees accounting for another ~5¢. 14.4¢ all told per KWh regular rate is decent if you ask me, but according to that chart it's 74% higher than a few years ago.... Not sure that's entirely accurate, as it would make the power rate at the beginning of the comparison 2.4¢, I was paying power bills back then and it wasn't that inexpensive.

14.4 is 74% higher than 8.3 cents
To go from 2.4 to 14.4 would be 500% increase (12 cent increase divided by original 2.4 = 5)

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

To go from 2.4 to 14.4 would be 500% increase (12 cent increase divided by original 2.4 = 5)

What are any of the numberes in your post in reference to?

2.4¢ was my calculated, 74% lower rate for power per the chart-its not been this low in my lifetime let alone since I have been paying for it. In essence it didn't exist.

14.4¢ is my combined rate for power AND fees/taxes currently. It doesn't have anything to do with the story in the OP or the chart, they're talking about Power rates, not taxes and fees.

Where did the 8.3 come in? The way your mixing comparisons of power costs, total costs and random numbers I'm not able to make any sense of what you posted. ie, 14.4 compared to 8.3? Or 2.4 compares to 14.4? Those are different things apples to oranges.

Ha what is my electric rate?????

cNa5mPq.jpg

My July bill in central Texas. Pretty proud of this one actually. Fell in line to get a $60 monthly credit for hitting 1000-1500kwh.

Anything under 1000kwh gets me a 30 dollar credit.

I was correcting your math. I used your overall rate and back calculated... Under no conditions would you get 2.4 cents.

A 74% increase that ends up with 9.4 cent power rate starts at 5.4 cents. If you use the overall rate as you mentioned "14.4¢ all told per KWh regular rate is decent if you ask me, but according to that chart it's 74% higher than a few years ago...." the old rate would be 8.3 cents....

I then calculated the 2.4 cents you pulled out of the air to be the higher increase noted. 2.4 cents would not be correct even using just the power rate.

The charts show % increase, which means the percentage is relative to the rates in the past. An easy example is an old rate of 10 cents would be 17 today if the increase was 70%. What it looks like you did was to subtract 74% of todays rate when you back calculated. The right way to calculate would be to take todays rate and divide by 1.74

The law here in TX regarding truth in rates/billing requires the utility to calculate the overall cost per kwh to more accurately compare and understand what the consumer is paying. I didn't check how the story calculated the rates, but the usual seems to be overall inclusive rate, otherwise there are too many apples and oranges.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
My power cost is 9.4¢ KWh (standard, peak use during summer after a
set amount is 12.7¢) with distribution and fees accounting for another ~5¢. 14.4¢ all told per KWh regular rate is decent if you ask me, but according to that chart it's 74% higher than a few years ago.... Not sure that's entirely accurate, as it would make the power rate at the beginning of the comparison 2.4¢, I was paying power bills back then and it wasn't that inexpensive.

What are any of the numberes in your post in reference to?

2.4¢ was my calculated, 74% lower rate for power per the chart-its not been this low in my lifetime let alone since I have been paying for it. In essence it didn't exist.

14.4¢ is my combined rate for power AND fees/taxes currently. It doesn't have anything to do with the story in the OP or the chart, they're talking about Power rates, not taxes and fees.

Where did the 8.3 come in? The way your mixing comparisons of power costs, total costs and random numbers I'm not able to make any sense of what you posted. ie, 14.4 compared to 8.3? Or 2.4 compares to 14.4? Those are different things apples to oranges.

I work in the Electric Utility industry. Utilities did not spend any money on infrastructure in the 1990s and thing were getting dangerously unreliable. Much like or roads are now. Things are just now starting to get where they should be.

There were regulatory incentives not to spend money in the 90's. Investor owned utilities would just pocket money they did not spend but not raise rates. That has gone the other way now so they are incentivized to spend money on capital improvements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PSS
I work in the Electric Utility industry. Utilities did not spend any money on infrastructure in the 1990s and thing were getting dangerously unreliable. Much like or roads are now. Things are just now starting to get where they should be.
I live in a rural area that a coop provides the power for. In the 90's we had a couple really bad ice storms. Most of the copper was replaced with aluminum wires and the poles were all put closer together.

Interesting that Justin. Thanks for posting.

Here's mine:

I almost stayed under 1000 kWhrs. Note that T3 rates are 41% higher than T2, which is quite a high step for such a low tier. How nice to receive a $60 credit for remaining below 1500 kWhrs!!

Your rate is 7.74 c/kWhr. Mine is 10.34; 33.6% higher. At your rate, my e-bill would be $83.05! Ha! That bites....I remember when it used to be low like that before the COA OD'd on all the green nonsense. Unfortunately, I'm locked in, unable to choose. My green is now paying to sustain their 'green'. Geeze.....

I signed on to my on-line account to see what other information was available. Unlike some others, my utility doesn't show my kWhr usage compared to my neighbors. They do show my yearly 'average' consumption at about 780 kWhrs/month.

Remember: I'm still using a 27yr old 3-ton cheap Janitrol/Goodman A/C unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back